• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2009 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Went to Grande Riviere for the weekend for Turtle Watching - it's amazing how many turtles they have coming up to nest each night on their small beach!
Of course my real treat was birding our way home ;)
214. Pearl Kite
215. White-collared Swift

After a week of warm to hot weather, spring migration was in full swing compared to last Sunday (April 19). Yesterday (April 26) I saw 13 species of warbler, four species of vireo--one of which was an Indiana state lifer--and a few other odds and ends. I added 24 species to my Year List, which is now up to 177.

154. Gray Catbird
155. White-eyed Vireo
156. Yellow-breasted Chat
157. Tennessee Warbler
158. Blue-winged Warbler
159. Common Yellowthroat
160. American Redstart
161. Nashville Warbler
162. Eastern Warbling Vireo
163. Great Crested Flycatcher
164. Red-eyed Vireo
165. Magnolia Warbler
166. Hooded Warbler
167. Indigo Bunting
168. Cerulean Warbler
169. Blue-headed Vireo
170. Black-throated Green Warbler
171. Worm-eating Warbler
172. Ovenbird
173. Eastern Kingbird
174. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
175. Green Heron
176. American Yellow Warbler
177. Baltimore Oriole

The Blue-headed Vireo was the state lifer, my third for the year, and number 293 on my Indiana list.

Dave

This last weekend, I headed down to the Coastal Bend area of Texas (specifically Nueces, Kleberg and Kenedy Counties). Although they are experiencing a record setting drought and the south winds were VERY strong - I was able to add 45 new species to my Year List. Several of these are lifers (Hooded Oriole, Fulvous Whistling Duck, Black-and-white Warbler).

129 Green Heron
130 Loggerhead Shrike
131 Black-crowned Night-Heron
132 Inca Dove
133 Bank Swallow
134 Forster's Tern
135 Couch's Kingbird
136 White-tailed Hawk
137 Short-billed Dowitcher
138 White-faced Ibis
139 Roseate Spoonbill
140 Magnolia Warbler
141 Great Crested Flycatcher
142 Fulvous Whistling-Duck
143 Black-and-white Warbler
144 Scarlet Tanager
145 Common Moorhen
146 Indigo Bunting
147 Western Kingbird
148 Semipalmated Plover
149 Reddish Egret
150 Cattle Egret
151 Black-bellied Plover
152 Gray Catbird
153 Golden-fronted Woodpecker
154 Eastern Kingbird
155 Gray-cheeked Thrush
156 Northern Waterthrush
157 Louisiana Waterthrush
158 Wood Thrush
159 Chuck-will's-widow
160 House Sparrow
161 Yellow Warbler
162 Yellow-breasted Chat
163 Long-billed Thrasher
164 Common Nighthawk
165 Bronzed Cowbird
166 Brown-crested Flycatcher
167 Purple Gallinule
168 Great Kiskadee
169 Rock Pigeon
170 Harris's Hawk
171 Bullock's Oriole
172 Buff-bellied Hummingbird
173 Green Jay
174 Hooded Oriole

After the last two impressive posts I can bring things back to normal.

April27 : Bois de Boulogne

111. House Martin

Still, off to the US myself on Wednesday so I should manage two or three new birds for the year.;)

Two more

I added two more species by birding Bear Creek Park (Houston) for 25 minutes in the rain yesterday afternoon:
192. American Redstart
193. Cedar Waxwing.

It's amazing it's taken so long this year to add Waxwings. They're usually one of the first birds on my year list.

Jeff

Weekend April 25-26

Got out into the country a bit, up on the eastern shore of Lake Huron. Unfortunately, though the migrants have been arriving in droves, they're mostly still a bit to the south of me here ... maybe next weekend.

177. Field Sparrow
178. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
179. Piping Plover (Allll-right! :D)
180. Wilson's Snipe

Peter C.

That's a great list, Ian! A good number of species and an impressive variety.
Jeff

Thanks. Jeff! Of course, being "local" you are aware that the great thing about birding that area is the variety of environments. We hit Nueces River Park (now Labonte Park) - with open access to the Nueces River and a good view into the trees and reeds along its bank as well as the open sports field ares: Hazel Bazemore Park (home of the Corpus area Hawkwatch) - which has a golf course adjacent, with a number of trees and ponds, as well as oak scrub, and a marshy area: Pollywog Ponds which are drying ponds with a lot of mulberry and other deciduous woods: Indian Point - which is a coastal marsh land: Blucher Park - Corpus' downtown park which is famous for its concentration of migrating species: Santa Gerturdis Creek on the edge of the King Ranch: Kleberg Park in Kingsville: and the (in)famous Sarita Rest Area.

All of the above are hotspots on the Central and Lower Texas Coastal Birding Trails, and can easily be hit in a couple of days. We basically hit the western half of the Corpus Christi Loop; part of the Kingsville Loop and the top end of the Lost Ranchos de Tejas Loop.

For those who might want more information about the above see the Texas Parks and Wildlife Coastal Birding Trail site.

Yesterday late in the afternoon I had a new bird for the year in my back yard, and then at dusk I went out looking for nightjars, of which I found one. The two species bring my Year List up to 179.

178. Blue Grosbeak
179. Chuck-will's-widow

Dave

483. Hooded Warbler - in the cemetery right across from my apartment complex! Neat.
484. Rose-breasted Grosbeak - heard while I was running yesterday evening.

Russ Ptman Park

Did a brief trip to Russ Pitman Park in Houston. They've had lots of migrants lately but the the wind was wrong this morning. Still saw two FOY birds, though:
195. Magnolia Warbler
196. Bay-breasted Warbler.

Jeff

288. Darter
289. Yellow Bittern
290. Black Bittern
291. Black-crowned Night-heron
292. Ruddy-breasted Crake
293. White-browed Crake
294. Little Tern
295. German's Swiftlet
296. Oriental Skylark
297. Golden-headed Cisticola
298. Plain Prinia
299. Chestnut Munia

Houston

A walk around a new park (Pundt) on Saturday turned up:
197. Pileated Woodpecker.

Yesterday a 10-minute visit to Paul Rushing Park added:
198. Fulvous Whistling Duck
199. Stilt Sandpiper
200. Pectoral Sandpiper (US lifer 431)
201. Wilson's Phalarope

Jeff

A weekend trip to Tobago added:
216 Brown Noddy
217 Sooty Tern
218 Bridled Tern
219 Brown-crested Flycatcher
220 Roseate Tern
221 Giant Cowbird
222 White-tailed Nightjar
223 Fuscous Flycatcher
224 Broad-winged Hawk
225 White-fringed Antwren

Friday, May 01

Serious migration, of small passerines at least, finally hit us in earnest last week here in Southern Ontario. I had to go to boring old work through a big wave that came through Tuesday, so I really felt that I was missing out :C. However, on Friday, my wonderful boss gave me the afternoon off :bounce: and the S.O. and I got away to the Long Point area (n. shore of Lake Erie) for the week-end.

Just catching up on the list today. All kinds of new stuff...

181. Gray Catbird
182. Black-throated Green Warbler
183. Palm Warbler
184. Black-and-white Warbler
185. Swamp Sparrow
186. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
187. Bobolink
188. Baltimore Oriole

Later,

Peter C.

Last edited:
Saturday, May 02

Long Point again - this time, the whole day spent in the area. Variety very good (esp. Thrushes - six species on the day! not all of them new, of course). It was a real treat to see so many "old friends" coming back again after a long winter.

189. Solitary Sandpiper
190. Greater Yellowlegs
191. Lesser Yellowlegs
192. Red-headed Woodpecker
193. Least Flycatcher
194. Eastern Kingbird
195. Bank Swallow
196. House Wren
197. Swainson’s Thrush
198. Gray-cheeked Thrush
199. Brown Thrasher
200. Blue-winged Warbler
201. Nashville Warbler
202. Cape May Warbler
203. Blackburnian Warbler
204. Ovenbird
205. Northern Waterthrush
206. Vesper Sparrow
207. Savannah Sparrow
208. White-crowned Sparrow

Cheers,
PeteR C.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back