• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski DF 8x30W O GA STP (1 Viewer)

I've got some PM's which seems for me not possible to answer in PM, so I'll try it here.

First, my military 10x40 is not out of collimationo:) and my first version/story was/is overruled by my second one.
For years I was in the understanding (based on info from Swaro) that the Military bins were not for sale for private consumers.
As it turns out in reality, anno 2016, they are and only the samples, ordered specially by authorized Swarovski dealers, are in full warranty.
One thing is important: delivery time could take some time.
The expression "intimi" means "authorized dealers only".

Jan

For years I was in the understanding (based on info from Swaro) that the Military bins were not for sale for private consumers.
As it turns out in reality, anno 2016, they are and only the samples, ordered specially by authorized Swarovski dealers, are in full warranty.
One thing is important: delivery time could take some time.
The expression "intimi" means "authorized dealers only".

Jan

Jan,

Since these seem to be custom made items anyway and all the parts are probably already in the same room I don't suppose you could sweet talk Swarovski into making up a single pair of 8x30 W CF GAs by having an employee screw 8x30W O GA objective barrels into a 10x40W CF GA prism/eyepiece housing? I think I'd be willing to wait for as long as it takes and pony up for the extra effort. ;)

Henry

Last edited:
Jan,

Since these seem to be custom made items anyway and all the parts are probably already in the same room I don't suppose you could sweet talk Swarovski into making up a single pair of 8x30 W CF GAs by having an employee screw 8x30W O GA objective barrels into a 10x40W CF GA prism/eyepiece housing? I think I'd be willing to wait for as long as it takes and pony up for the extra effort. ;)

Henry

SONA could make this happen for you, but I've forwarded this request to "my" rep.
I'l let you know!

Jan

Thanks very much, Jan! I don't know whether SONA would be interested in something so far out of the ordinary, but I'm ready to order one through you if it's possible. The good thing about your offer is that it's too good to refuse. The bad thing about your offer is...it's too good to refuse! ;)

Henry

Thanks very much, Jan! I don't know whether SONA would be interested in something so far out of the ordinary, but I'm ready to order one through you if it's possible. The good thing about your offer is that it's too good to refuse. The bad thing about your offer is...it's too good to refuse! ;)

Henry

I'll set the wheels in motionB :)

Jan

Jan,

Henry

Henry:

Could you tell us more about this hybrid unit, and why the request?

I do recall some years ago, you were mixing some parts on Nikon
porros, is this the same type of thing?

Jerry

Yep, it's exactly the same kind of thing. What I did with the Nikon E models was to switch objectives between a 7x35 and an 8x30. The result was 6x30 and 9x35 E models that Nikon could have made, but never did.

In this case Swarovski has stopped selling my favorite of the Habichts, the 8x30W GA center focus, but all it takes to make one is to combine parts they have on hand from the 8x30W GA individual focus and 10x40W GA center focus. This kind of mixing and matching is the way old Porros were made into different models using a minimum number of parts.

I guess the reason for my request is that I have an old history with that model. Jan's offer is like being offered a month's vacation in Tuscany with a certain old girlfriend from 30 years ago. I know very well what was wrong between us then and I expect the same this time, but what I can say - the flesh is weak.

Henry

Henry:

I understand, and I figured you were just up to some mischief.

So now what will be the optics specs with this one, I suppose that I
am not alone, and many others want to want to know more. ;)

Jerry

When did Swarovski start waterproofing their porro binoculars??.....and are they waterproof or just water resistant ....but not sealed tight enough to be nitrogen purged.....if just water resistant it could be a double edged sword...as if water ever did work its way in, it would have a hard time ever drying out.....

Last edited:
When did Swarovski start waterproofing their porro binoculars??.....and are they waterproof or just water resistant ....but not sealed tight enough to be nitrogen purged.....if just water resistant it could be a double edged sword...as if water ever did work its way in, it would have a hard time ever drying out.....

The modern Habicht porros are waterproof. Simple as that.

BTW, checking the Swarovski website might have been a good idea.

Hermann

swarovski bling

Jan,

Henry

Henry: Just remember that Swarovski will throw on their name in white across the spindle and plant that silver hawk on the front! It would look better without the bling. However, the thought of a Habicht 8x30 GA is tempting to me and proudpapa has also spoken of seeking one--maybe if there is enough interest, Swarovski might run a batch!

The 830 military came in today and a quick comparison shows that the CF version has a close focus range of 2 meters and the IF has 4 meters. Same DOF, FOV and (lack of) sharpnes in the edges.
For my eyes the 30IF is also sharper, but......it could be me. The reason could be that each eye is focussed seperately (and therefore more finetuned) and the CF is some kind of "compromise". The latest intell from Swaro is, that there is no optical quality difference (except for the reticle) between the CF and IF.

Jan

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back