• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Hummingbird, Panama (1 Viewer)

michalb

Poland
I have a few more birds seen in Panama I'd like to ask you to help me identify. Here's another hummingbird, an absolutely beautiful specimen. All photos show the same individual. Note how its gorgeous blue chest turns grey/white when the light changes, even though the first two photos were taken within seconds of each other! In my opinion, this blue patch, slightly bluish crown (also photo 1) and forked tail (photos 4&5) point to a Blue-chested (Amazilia amabilis). Do you agree?

Thanks for any info!

Location: edge of rainforest in Silico Creek, Ngabe-Bugle, north-western Panama, some 5-6 km away from the Caribbean Sea coast
Date: 12.01.2020

Attachments

• koliber Urari1.jpg
    koliber Urari1.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 31
  • koliber Urari2.jpg
    koliber Urari2.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 27
  • koliber Urari3.jpg
    koliber Urari3.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 23
  • koliber Urari4.jpg
    koliber Urari4.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 17
  • koliber Urari5.jpg
    koliber Urari5.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 18
I have a few more birds seen in Panama I'd like to ask you to help me identify. Here's another hummingbird, an absolutely beautiful specimen. All photos show the same individual. Note how its gorgeous blue chest turns grey/white when the light changes, even though the first two photos were taken within seconds of each other! In my opinion, this blue patch, slightly bluish crown (also photo 1) and forked tail (photos 4&5) point to a Blue-chested (Amazilia amabilis). Do you agree?

Thanks for any info!

Location: edge of rainforest in Silico Creek, Ngabe-Bugle, north-western Panama, some 5-6 km away from the Caribbean Sea coast
Date: 12.01.2020

Yes looks ok for it

My first impression is a woodnymph

The only one possible in this range is Thalurania colombica if I'm not mistaken, and it seems to have a green, not blue on chest and throat. So I think I'll stay with the Blue-chested, unless anyone else would like to add something?

My first impression is a woodnymph

Get where your coming from: the metallic green and blue on the first photo. But the distribution of colours is off, the bill a bit wrong and the bronzy colours in some of the other photos don't fit either. For these reasons, can't be that ("crowned" Woodnymph of either s/sspp) or violet-bellied.

Thanks for correcting me, I shot from the hip without checking things closely. However, when i have seen blue-chested, I must have been in the wrong angle every time, never seen it with those strong colors.

Niels

(...) when i have seen blue-chested, I must have been in the wrong angle every time, never seen it with those strong colors.

Well as seen on my photos - literally a split second separates the first shot from the second one and bam, the colors are gone. It's absolutely incredible how it could change in a blink of an eye because of the angle.

Thanks for correcting me, I shot from the hip without checking things closely. However, when i have seen blue-chested, I must have been in the wrong angle every time, never seen it with those strong colors.

Niels

Neither have I: guess we're just unlucky

I've seen those colours quite a few times, only because I've seen this hummer many many times. It is most of the time a quite drab looking species. Only some males -the oldest I guess- show all that blue and it is often frustratingly hard to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back