• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info Required for August Trip (1 Viewer)

brianfm

Botanical Birder
I've been asked if I would post this on behalf of a friend of mine who will be visiting Switzerland in August (with Scouts). He's having problems with Birdforum account and isn't able to gain access. We'll have to chase it up with admin. In the meantime I'll post the request for information below. I' know he'll be grateful for any help given. Cain's a keen and knowledgeable birder and nature enthusiast Thanks in anticipation.

'I'm off to Switzerland in August for Explorer Belt, we'll be walking for ten days, passing through, Thun, Beatenberg, Interlaken, Grindelwald, Wilderswil, Krattigen, Frutigen, and Kandersteg. We have to come up with personal challenges and I was interested in doing mine on birds, seeing some of Switzerland's specialty species, such as Wallcreepers, Woodpeckers, Alpine Accentors, Swifts etc anything different really.(Although mammals wouldn't put me off either).'

Thanks
Brian

I can highly recommend the Niederhorn which is easily reachable from Beatenberg by cable car. Just around the top station ibex is easy to see and a hike to Burgfeldstand and Gemmenalphorn should produce Citril Finch, Ring Ouzel and Alpine Accentor. Ptarmigan is regularly seen there as well, so are Golden Eagle and even sometimes Griffon Vultures.
Wallcreeper is often seen in the Balmholz quarry, just below Beatenberg (access from the lake road).
Alpine Swift is easy in Bern but also possible around Thun or Kandersteg. However, there are no reliable sites there. If you check in Bern go to the railway station, take a lift up to the University (on the top of the railway station) and look up. They will be there.
If you need more details about the mentionend locations pm me.

Hope this helps,

Greetings from Switzerland
André

Thank you very much André. I'm sure Cain will find this information useful. If he requires any further help regarding location I'll send pm.

Best wishes
Brian

Thanks once again for the info. Cain by all accounts had a great two weeks in Switzerland. No Wallcreeper seen, but sightings did include the likes of Nutcracker, Middle Spotted Woodpecker and Crag Martin.
A case of wish I'd been there.;)

If he had the Middle Spotted Woodpecker on his itinerary from Thun to Kandersteg I would be very interested in the exact spot. They are vagrants in the alps and usually only found in the lowlands.

André

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back