• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (1 Viewer)

Sounds like you are getting subfamilies mixed up with families, as there was a recent paper which reorganized tanagers and named ~15 different subfamilies (although I think some of these already existed).

Yeah, probably the monger of the rumour I heard wasn't being too precise.

The taxonomy table would be vastly more readable if its width was not set to "119.559%"... (This makes it impossible to have the left-most and right-most columns visible simultaneously in a browser window.)

The same applies to Species Updates and Proposed Splits/Lumps.

More updates with potential splits highlighted

June 1 Revise sequence and genera of Rallidae based primarily on Garcia-R et al. (2020); with modifications from Kirchman (2012); Garcia-R et al. (2014); Boast et al (2019); Stervander et al. (2019).

June 1 Move four species formerly assigned to Rallina in Rallidae to Rallicula in Sarothruridae. (Livezey 1998; Garcia-R et al. 2020).

June 1 Post proposed split of Palawan Drongo from Hair-crested Drongo. Shakya et al. (2020).

June 1 Post proposed splits of Donaldson’s Turaco from White-cheeked Turaco, (Western) Black-billed Turaco from (Eastern) Black-billed Turaco and Reichenow’s Turaco from Livingstone’s Turaco. Perktaş et al. (2020).

May 29 Revise sequence and genera of Passerellidae based primarily on Klicka et al. (2014); SACC 633; NACC 2019-B-9.

May 29 List P. r. tallmanorum and P. r. melanolaema (Black-headed and Venezuelan Fruiteaters) as potential splits from Green-and-black Fruiteater Pipreola riefferii. Berv & Prum (2014).

May 29 Resequence Cotingidae based on Berv & Prum (2014).

May 28 Accept newly described Peleng Fantail as a full species in the Sulawesi Fantail complex.

If Frank is reading I find the new dark green text to denote accepted proposals on the proposed splits/lumps page quite hard to spot. The bright green shading was easier!
Cheers
James

Palawan Drongo split accepted

From the IOC diary page, another armchair tick.

'June 6 Accept proposed split of Palawan Drongo from Hair-crested Drongo. Shakya et al. (2020).'

Two more proposed splits

June 12 Post proposed split of White-faced Plover C. dealbatus from Kentish Plover.

June 12 Post proposed split of Pale-faced Bulbul P. leucops from Flavescent Bulbul. (Borneo)

I'll make four all told, when Adam does his next Scythebill update B :)

Last edited:
Proposed split doesn't mean it's going to be accepted, so I wouldn't count your eggs before they are hatched

These eggs were laid a while ago, fairly sure they'll sail through.

I wonder what the % of rejected proposals is, anyone give us a figure, I'll bet it's low?

I wonder what the % of rejected proposals is, anyone give us a figure, I'll bet it's low?

So I looked at the Proposed Splits/Lumps page on the IOC website. On that page there are proposed (but not accepted) splits dating back to 2015; there are other pages with older data as well. It looks like proposed splits are either accepted or left as proposed, although the text at the top of the page says

Others (grey) will be retained as active candidates or deleted with the option of future reconsideration.

Obviously you can't tell how many proposed splits have been actually deleted from that page, but for example there was a proposal in 2015 to split Systellura longirostris which was rejected by the SACC. So it's effectively dead. That's just one example. But probably there's not much deletion going on.

So I can't give you a figure for that page (not without some tedious work of examining every proposed but not accepted split). But speaking of SACC, they have a page which documents acceptances and rejections of their proposals: PROPOSAL ROSTER. I did a crude count of the two categories and got about 610 acceptances and 270 rejections. That's about a 70% acceptance rate.

("Crude" means that my browser counted the number of times that "PASSED" and "DID NOT PASS" occurred in the page. Not exact but pretty close.)

Last edited:
These eggs were laid a while ago, ...

Talking of eggs laid long ago, when are Common Gull and Mew Gull going to be split? The current comment on the IOC page:
Genetically distinct Short-billed Gull previously split from Common /Mew Gull (AOU Sibley 1996, Zink et al. 1995, Olsen & Larsson 2003, BNA). BNA makes the point that Zink’s paper only looked at mtDNA differences between kamtschatschensis and brachyrhynchus. A study also incorporating nominate canus is needed to round out the picture and because some have proposed (e.g. S&M, 1990) that the species break might be between kamtschatschensis and canus/brachyrhynchus.
is long out of date, as nominate canus has been analysed; the break is between brachyrhynchus and the rest (e.g. Sternkopf 2011, Adriaens & Gibbins 2016).

Also with the recent split of Cassia Crossbill, the crossbills need further splitting; American Red Crossbills (Loxia [curvirostra] minor et al.) are more closely related to Cassia Crossbill than they are to Eurasian Common Crossbills (Loxia curvirostra sensu stricto, including other Eurasian subspp.), while conversely, European Common Crossbills are more closely related to Parrot Crossbill, than they are to American Red Crossbills.

So I looked at the Proposed Splits/Lumps page on the IOC website. On that page there are proposed (but not accepted) splits dating back to 2015; there are other pages with older data as well. It looks like proposed splits are either accepted or left as proposed, although the text at the top of the page says

Obviously you can't tell how many proposed splits have been actually deleted from that page, but for example there was a proposal in 2015 to split Systellura longirostris which was rejected by the SACC. So it's effectively dead. That's just one example. But probably there's not much deletion going on.

So I can't give you a figure for that page (not without some tedious work of examining every proposed but not accepted split). But speaking of SACC, they have a page which documents acceptances and rejections of their proposals: PROPOSAL ROSTER. I did a crude count of the two categories and got about 610 acceptances and 270 rejections. That's about a 70% acceptance rate.

("Crude" means that my browser counted the number of times that "PASSED" and "DID NOT PASS" occurred in the page. Not exact but pretty close.)

Thanks Paul.

I wonder if IOC actually has those statistics at hand...they do follow this forum apparently, so maybe someone can chime in.

I can only go with anecdotal information, but I am fairly sure some of the very first proposed splits for IOC still haven't been passed. Really the proposed splits, especially early on, come down to "someone says this is different, so lets note that and maybe figure out if we agree"

Talking of eggs laid long ago, when are Common Gull and Mew Gull going to be split? The current comment on the IOC page:
is long out of date, as nominate canus has been analysed; the break is between brachyrhynchus and the rest (e.g. Sternkopf 2011, Adriaens & Gibbins 2016).

Also with the recent split of Cassia Crossbill, the crossbills need further splitting; American Red Crossbills (Loxia [curvirostra] minor et al.) are more closely related to Cassia Crossbill than they are to Eurasian Common Crossbills (Loxia curvirostra sensu stricto, including other Eurasian subspp.), while conversely, European Common Crossbills are more closely related to Parrot Crossbill, than they are to American Red Crossbills.

I mean if you wanted to get folks to act upon either of these, a simple way would be to submit a checklist change proposal to NACC, as both of these situations affect North American taxa, and IOC closely watches both checklists.

June 16 Post PS of Haida Gwaii Saw-whet Owl from Northern Saw-whet Owl (NACC 2020-B-8).

June 16 Post PL of Northwestern Crow with American Crow (Slager et al. 2020; NACC 2020-C-15)

The American Birding Association podcast had a recent episode mostly on the proposed splits. They actually made a pretty solid case for the Saw-whet Owl split, which seems a lot more supported than I thought.

Also I admit I might be slightly warming up to the idea of simplifying the Scrub-Jay names. Although I would agree that Santa Cruz Jay makes more sense than Island Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back