• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My new Kowa 660 Prominar (1 Viewer)

wings

Just received my Kowa 660 Prominar spotting scope and took it to the local lake for a view test. The Kowa 660 came with the 25x LER eyepiece, ordered separately. The eyepiece rubber is removable and is a l-o-n-g piece of attachment, but, true to LER, it has no vignetting. Sharpness is edge to edge (I wear glasses) with no apparent distortion and color is crisp, not on the warm side as described in some other (German) scopes.

Fit and finish is very good, with the retractable lens hood sliding smoothly back and forth, while the focusing knob is smooth and precise. I would have preferred a rubberized coating for the scope as it would give it a better non-slip grip, but Kowa claims that it is waterproof to a high standard (JIS class 6 or 7). The eyepiece has a bayonet mount for quick attachment to the scope body, and the o-ring ensures dust and moisture protection. The 660 is surprisingly light (36 oz. not including the eyepiece) and compact in size.

At a distance of approximately 300 yds across the lake I could easily make out letters on a person's T-shirt, and all indications are that the 25x EP power plus the zoom of the camera should give me plenty magnification for telephoto shots.

As my Canon Powershot 590IS has not yet arrived, I was not able to do a digiscope test, but will follow this up when all equipment is in.

I was pleasantly rewarded for my outing when I saw a leucistic Canada Goose: this one was all white, unlike the half-white ones I have seen at other people's posting in other forums. I had to rush home and return with my 20D camera + 400mm/5.6L lens for some shots. Here are two:

Attachments

• IMG_3543_resized.jpg
    IMG_3543_resized.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_3556.jpg
    IMG_3556.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 322
Thanks horukuru. Hey I see you are a Celtics FC fan, I'm also for the Hoops. For the EPL, I'm a Man. U fan. hehehehe.

hello wings,

I hve this problem with my TSN603 with 45x Wide Angle (TSE-9Wide).

I am using Canon G9 for digiscoping with Kowa universal swing away holder.

But unfortunately i hve difficulty in getting full frame on the LCD.

Need some assistance.

Cheers
Mystical Bird

Oops, sorry I overlooked your post. I'm not sure what you mean by getting full frame: can you explain? Also it seems you may be using an extremely wide angle eyepiece. Perhaps someone else in this forum can help?

I was pleasantly rewarded for my outing when I saw a leucistic Canada Goose: this one was all white, unlike the half-white ones I have seen at other people's posting in other forums. I had to rush home and return with my 20D camera + 400mm/5.6L lens for some shots. Here are two:

I've never encountered a Canada--with no black at all even in the bill and legs--like that either. Interesting bird.

Well, since there are several of these white ones in our local park I must assume that they are the result of a cross between a Canada goose and a local white goose or a greylag goose.

hello wings,

I hve this problem with my TSN603 with 45x Wide Angle (TSE-9Wide).

I am using Canon G9 for digiscoping with Kowa universal swing away holder.

But unfortunately i hve difficulty in getting full frame on the LCD.

Need some assistance.

Cheers
Mystical Bird

If you post your enquiry in the Digiscoping Cameras forum with a sample photograph you should get some responses to your problem. Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back