• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Etymologies; the beginning of the end, or .... (2 Viewers)

And if "mas" (i.e mas.) is Latin (according to Laurent) for Male (Masculine, I assume), shouldn´t mal. also be Latin? Is there such a Latin abbreviation? On the other hand could "mas." be a German abbreviation as well (Maskulin, Masculine)!?
In Latin, mas can mean "masculine" if used as an adjective, or "a male" if used as a substantive. It's an entire word, not an abbreviation (mas, gen. maris); very commonly used in Latin descriptions. From the title and description of the work, I would assume that Herr Major Kreling offered mammal and bird specimens from Sumatra to the Naturforschenden Gesellschaft, and this is a published list of these specimens...? (In which case "mas." might indicate that among them was a male of Turdus mure.)

But of course it's not really possible to be sure what is meant in this entry using just the info that we have here... It might help to see a couple of other entries of this list, I think. And, perhaps, to know how the different words are printed (possible italics, fraktur?).

Reichenbach in his review(?) of Kreling uses the phrase mas. nov. spec. So I think mas with a period is short for something.
https://books.google.com/books?id=4...Major+Kreling+zu+Padang&source=gbs_navlinks_s .
Page 148.
Yes, maybe masculus, then. Anyway, the meaning here is clearly "male". Eg., if you look on p.149, you see:
"З. Garrulus coronatus nov. spec. mas. In den Gebirgen." ist:
-----Garrulax bicolor. S. Müll. Mus. Lgd. Bat. Bp. 370. 3. Cinclosoma bicolor. Temm.
"4. do. Fem."
Thus Kreling had his specimen #3 down as "Garrulus coronatus", new species, "mas.", found in the mountains. (Which Reichenbach says is the same as the Garrulax bicolor of Statius Müller, in the museum of Leiden ("Lugdunum Batavorum"), and of Bonaparte (#370), and as the Cinclosoma bicolor of Temminck.) And then Kreling's #4 was "do. Fem.": ditto. Femina -- the same. Female.
And a bit further down:
"8. u. 9. Bucco Voigtii mas. et fem. nov. spec."
8 and 9, Bucco Voigtii male and female, new species.

Last edited:
Of the ones this far not dealt with in this thread (even if all´s not fully solved,) I can only add the following:
Bulletin of the Biogeographical Society of Japan. Tokyo.
1944 Goura scheepmakeri wadai Yamashina, 14 (1), p. 1
Bulletin of the Biogeographical Society of Japan =日本生物地理学会会報

No digitized copy found, but available (in its original version) in several libraries (here).

Also see here:
No.1 山階 芳麿 Jan 1944
南ニューギニア産胸赤冠鳩の一新亜種に就て. 14: 1-2.
No.2 Marquis Yamashina, Yoshimaro Jan 1944
Two new subspecies of birds from Formosa and Yunnan. 14: 3-4
Maybe "No.2" is an English translation of No. 1, the one James is looking for?

Japan Wildlife Bulletin. Tokyo.
1961 Parus montanus abei Mishima, 18 (1), p. 160 [in Japanese]
Japan Wildlife Bulletin = 農林省林野庁 [編]

No digitized version found, but available on, in CiNii (here).

Journal of the Chosen Natural History Society. Keijo [= Seoul].
1927 Garrulus brandtii okai Momiyama, 4, p. 5
Journal of Chosen Natural History Society =朝鮮博物學會雜誌 alt. Chōsen Hakubutsu Gakkai zasshi

No digitized version found, but available in several libraries (here).

Messager Ornithologique. Moscow.
1916 Coccothraustes coccothraustes tatjanae Kudashev, 7 (2), p. 96
"Messager ornithologique" = Ornitologicheskiĭ vi︠e︡stnik alt. Ornitologicheskii viestnik, with alternate title/s Messager ornithologique/Ornithologische Mitteilungen

Vol. 1-6 is fairly easy to find, but "7" and "7 (2)" seems much harder to get a look at! However ("US access only"); here

].●Novedades Cientificas. Contribuciones Ocasionales del Museo de Historia Natural La Salle. Caracas.
1952 Formicarius rufipectus lasallei Aveledo & Gines, Zool., 6, pp. 1+

Transactions of the Natural History Society of Formosa. Taihoku [= Taipei].
1927 Zosterops palpebrosa kikutii Momiyama, 17, p. 304
Transactions of the Natural History Society of Formosa = Taiwan Hakubutsu Gakkai kaihō alt. Taiwan Hakubutsukan Gakkai kaiho

---

That´s all I can manage in this thread.

But maybe someone is luckier (or better) searching the internet than I was on these titles?

If giving it a try; Good luck!
---

"Messager ornithologique" = Ornitologicheskiĭ vi︠e︡stnik alt. Ornitologicheskii viestnik, with alternate title/s Messager ornithologique/Ornithologische Mitteilungen

Кудашевъ АЕ. 1916. О русскихъ формахъ рода Соссоthraustes. Орнитологическій Вѣстникъ 7(2):96-97.

On p. 97, he wrote: "Называю эту форму въ честь моей невѣсты, много по могающей мнѣ въ моихъ научныхъ работахъ." -- I name this form in honor of my bride, a great help to me in my scientific work.

This is also repeated [here]: "крымский подвид дубоноса Кудашев назвал в честь своей невесты Татьяны" -- Kudashev named the Crimean subspecies of hawfinch in honor of his bride Tat'yana.

And also [here]: "князь Александр Евгеньевич Кудашев - талантливый орнитолог, студент Петроградского университета, автор нескольких научных публикаций, вместе с Н.А. Зарудным участвовал в поездке на Аральское море, один из описанных им подвидов птиц назвал в честь своей невесты. После 1917 года о нём нет никаких сведений. Вероятно, погиб на Гражданской войне. Никаких биографических публикаций о нём, насколько я знаю, нет." -- prince Aleksandr Yevgen'yevich Kudashev - A talented ornithologist, student of the Petrograd University, author of several scientific publications, he took part in a trip to the Aral Sea together with NA Zarudny, one of the subspecies of bird he described is named in honor of his bride. After 1917, there is not any information about him. He probably died in the Civil War. There is no biographical publications about him, so far as I know, no.

Last edited:
Just yet another quick comment …

Maybe Japanese birds, by Nobusuke Takatsukasa 1941, can be of some help on some of the Japanese names?

In this book you´ll find, for example; "Toratugumi" (p.72), written exactly like the earlier "Turdus aureus toratugumi" [today's Zoothera aurea toratugumi MOMIYAMA 1940], here and here. Note that simply "Tugumi" apparently is the Dusky Trush!

Who knows what more it can hide?

Cheers!
---

Last edited:
Google Translate says:
  • つぐみ tsugumi = thrush.
  • トラ tora = tiger.
Makes sense, I think -- "tiger-thrush": this is just the name of the bird in Japanese.

I tried the same thing with some of the other, still unexplained names, but without success, though.

Last edited:
Novedades Cientificas. Contribuciones Ocasionales del Museo de Historia Natural La Sa

In Cuatro aves nuevas y dos extensiones de distribución para Venezuela, de Perijá is written about etomolgy of lasallei:

Hememos nombrada esta subspecies lasallei en honor del Santo Fundador de la Institución Lasaliana, como un sencillio homenaje en el tricentenario de su nacimiento.

So it was San Juan Bautista de La Salle or Jean-Baptiste de La Salle (1651-1719) to whom the dedication was made.

1921 Fringilla coelebs wolfgangi Teploukhov, 1, p. 70

As my Russian is not existing please find attached the part for 1921 Fringilla coelebs wolfgangi Teploukhov, 1, p. 70.

I have no clue if it is written there to whom the dedication was for.

Attachments

• wolfgangi.PNG
    wolfgangi.PNG
    199 KB · Views: 110
Fringilla coelebs wolfgangi Teploukhov, 1921.
Thanks for this, Martin. The last two words from your extract refer to Volfgang Yuganzyen (I think!), but at present I can get no further. I am sure some Russophile will spring to our aid!
James

в честь убитого на войне молодого орнитолога Вольфганга Іоганзена

Keeping the words in the same order: "in honour of the killed-at-war young ornithologist Wolfgang Johansen"

This will be the elder son of Hermann Johansen.

Fringilla coelebs wolfgangi Teploukhov, 1921.
Many thanks indeed, Martin and Laurent. I think I'll throw away my Cyrillic alphabet crib!! I have brought both my MS and the HBWAlive Key up to date. My list of unseen references/descriptions/diagnoses is now less than one page long, but I'm sure the Key will keep me occupied for the next couple of years or so! Roll on, Bird Families of the World, and volume 2 of the Illustrated Checklist.
James

I think I'll throw away my Cyrillic alphabet crib!!
;)
The name here is a Russianized form of a non-Russian name: using a simple alphabet conversion doesn't work well to find the original, indeed. A back-transliteration would give "Ioganzen", but I doubt anybody would ever write it this way.
Another pitfall is that, if what you try to use is based on the modern Russian alphabet, it won't include the letter "І" at all, as this has been dropped from Russian in a spelling reform. What looks closest to "Іо" in modern Russian writing is certainly the upper-case "Ю", "Yu".

Last edited:
My list of unseen references/descriptions/diagnoses is now less than one page long, but ...
James, how about an update? What´s still missing?

And regarding "Fringilla coelebs wolfgangi", maybe something could be added to "Wolfgang" (Вольфганг), here, page 7 ... or not?

Couldn´t the name possibly be, as Laurent hinted, Yuganzen? Isn´t Johansen a German transcription, and if so, or not, it sure does look of Danish or Norwegian (alt. Swedish/Livonian/Estonian) origin? This is simply thinking out loud ... as usual, I´m all lost when it comes to Russian. ;)
---

Last edited:
And regarding "Fringilla coelebs wolfgangi", maybe something could be added to "Wolfgang" (Вольфганг), here, page 7 ... or not?

Couldn´t the name possibly be, as Laurent hinted, Yuganzen? Isn´t Johansen a German transcription, and if so, or not, it sure does look of Danish or Norwegian origin?
No, it is definitely the other way around.

The name certainly starts with "Іо", Io / Yo / (if German) Jo, not "Ю", Yu.

The Сибирская Старина article is titled "I am proud of my surname", and written by a Татьяна Иоганзен (Tatyana Johansen -- note the "modern" initial "И" in the surname here, instead of an "old-fashioned" "І"), daughter of Бодо Германович Иоганзен (Bodo Hermanovich Johansen), himself the younger son of Герман Эдуардович Иоганзен (Hermann Eduardovich Johansen). (I.e., she is Wolfgang's niece.) In the paper, she says her great-grandfather, Эдуард Фридрихович Иоганзен (Eduard Fridrikhovich Johansen) was a Lutherian pastor in Omsk, and came from a family that was of German and Swedish ancestry (despite the -sen rather than -son; p.6: "Мой прадед Эдуард Иоганзен, ведущий свой род из Германии и Швеции"). She also explains how her family was forced to abandon the German language, and went through a lot of problems, after Germany became Russia's enemy during WW1. It seems quite clear that the original name must have been "Johansen", which was then Russianized into "Іоганзен", to finally become "Иоганзен" after the spelling reforms.
Not much to learn about Wolfgang himself, on the other hand. There is just a single phrase about him: "Его брат Вольфганг, подававший большие научные надежды и опубликовавший ряд статей по орнитологии, погиб на фронте в 1919 году;" (His [= her father's] brother Wolfgang, who gave great scientific hopes and published several articles on ornithology, was killed in action in 1919; ).

Last edited:
Re: Ежегодник Музея Полтавского ... ? by Bjorn.
Here is a little about Gavrilenko which is Havrylenko in Ukrainian. He (Г, г) represents a voiced glottal fricative, (/ɦ/).
Ge (Ґ, ґ) appears after He, represents /ɡ/. It looks like He with an "upturn" pointing up from the right side of the top bar. (This letter was not officially used in Soviet Ukraine in 1933—1990, so it may be missing from older Cyrillic fonts.)
I see he ended up in Ormsk probably in a camp. I still am no closer to the yearbook of the natural history museum of Poltava.

Re Annotationes Ornithologiae Orientalis

●Annotationes Ornithologiae Orientalis. Tokyo.
1927 Cinclus pallasii itooi Momiyama, 1, p. 54
1927 Turdus eunomus ni Momiyama, 1, p. 141
Please see attached PDF . Ni means resemblance or likeness. The itooi name is not explained in English but maybe in the Japanese part. I added the page about furuitii falcon.

Attachments

• Birds.pdf
    626.1 KB · Views: 68

Users who are viewing this thread

Back