• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trivia bino question - movie binos "Rear Window" (1 Viewer)

Hi,
Probably a standard 10x50 with regular eyepieces, not WA. Maybe Japan or U.S. made.

More interesting is the Exakta camera and possibly a 400mm f/4.5 Meyer?? lens. He uses this for his voyeurism.

There are numerous binoculars in movies and on T.V.
About 50% show a binocular of some kind. Recently I saw maybe a 20x80 Swift being handheld by a nosy mother spying from her car.
Jesse Stone uses a Zeiss Classic 10x40 possibly T*P*, probably Selleck's own binocular.

It reminds me of the older woman complaining about the young woman she sees behaving naughtily in her home.
But one cannot see anything, the officer says.
The older lady says that you can see everything with these binoculars if you stand on the table.

Often in movies it is a stupid red coated binocular monstrosity, which no self respecting spy would use.
Movie makers are pretty daft. But I suppose they think that is what the public want.

A British series used an early Canon 10x30 IS.

Personally, I'd prefer a 6 inch aperture Maksutov.

Hello,

If it is a typical Zeiss style binocular, I would guess a Leitz 7x50 Marseptit. If it were made in the American one piece tube style, which is possible, then I would guess a Bausch & Lomb 7x50. Looking at this image, it is clearly American style. As the film was released in 1951, B&L makes perfect sense. As it CF, it is not a military model.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
I would also rule out the Zeiss/Leitz-style binos and tend to an American oder Japan-made pair of binos.
What about the Swift binos like those used by Chandler Robbins? Have they already been present as early as of 1954?

In this pic I see the silver rings behind the objective covers.

For whatever that's worth ...

James Bond, along w/gal painted gold, used Mark 37 9x63 in Goldfinger

usngf_mk37_goldfinger_bond650x360.jpg

Last edited:
$100,000?
Perhaps they'd send me one as a free sample.

I'll take one too! Thermal will make those pesky birdies you heard hiding in the branches stand out like a sore thumb and then just switch to visual and zoom in...

I know, it has been used by tank crews for infantry in the woods for a long time...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back