• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kahles helia 42 (1 Viewer)

I may have missed it here, but in case it wasn't' mentioned, the non rf binc is indeed made in Japan, but the RF (range-finding model) is made in China.

When I sold Kahles, the bino came in a box marked “Made in Austria.” And it was ... the BOX I mean. It was a “dead ringer” for the Celestron Nobel—made in Japan—but cost considerably more. Even so, it was a bino for a lifetime. :cat:

Bill

Bill,

I have that particular 8x32 Kahles and I still have the Box it came in. It does indeed have taped (or glued, if you will) on it a form with the bar codes that also says:

KAHLES
since 1898
AUSTRIA

8X32
9183016XX
MADE IN AUSTRIA

The real printing on the rest of the box only says AUSTRIA.

I found out that it was made in 2003. (The serial number is printed on the bottom of the hinge like on Swarovski binoculars.) It was updated in 2011 according to Allbinos. I have that one in the 8X32 version also. The coatings on the lenses are clearly different and the diameter of the oculars are slightly wider on the 2011 version.

Both these binoculars are tough as nails. It wouldn't surprise me if most of them that were made are still in use somewhere in the world!

Bob

Last edited:
Bill,

I have that particular 8x32 Kahles and I still have the Box it came in. It does indeed have taped (or glued, if you will) on it a form with the bar codes that also says:

KAHLES
since 1898
AUSTRIA

8X32
9183016XX
MADE IN AUSTRIA

The real printing on the rest of the box only says AUSTRIA.

I found out that it was made in 2003. (The serial number is printed on the bottom of the hinge like on Swarovski binoculars.) It was updated in 2011 according to Allbinos. I have that one in the 8X32 version also. The coatings on the lenses are clearly different and the diameter of the oculars are slightly wider on the 2011 version.

Both these binoculars are tough as nails. It wouldn't surprise me if most of them that were made are still in use somewhere in the world!

Bob

Hi, Ceasar:

I know about Kahles’ history and that they pioneered telescopic rifle sights. They are prominently mentioned in an article I did for the 2012 Deer and Deer Hunting annual. But my data points don’t stop there. This might even include conversations between myself and my Swarovski rep. Don’t get me wrong; I am a major fan of Swarovski Optik and their repair department—Gail Fisher, manager.

But I also understand that in the name of profit, even some of the biggest names in Europe rebrand some Asian products. I believe all you said about performance, ruggedness, and dependability. But although they say one picture is worth a thousand words, I guess that all depends on who is evaluating the picture and what they understand about the industry.

On Swarovki’s request, I took shipment of a Kahles bino. But finding it virtually the same as the Celestron Nobel—at a greater price—I opted in favor of my customer’s wallet. Over the years, that stance has cost me plenty of money. But if you don’t have health, you HAVE nothing. If you don’t have integrity, you ARE nothing.

I make no bones about the Kahles being a world-class instrument. If it were my prime instrument, over my Nikon 8x32 SE, I could be a happy birder until my dirt nap. Do I have a problem with their marketing? I do. And, not being bashful, I have told them. Oh, what crap the novice consumer is expected to swallow. And he is expected to do it because he has a long track record of doing so. Hey, I could make you a special deal on some ENRON stock. What say? :cat:

Bill

Hi, Ceasar:

I know about Kahles’ history and that they pioneered telescopic rifle sights. They are prominently mentioned in an article I did for the 2012 Deer and Deer Hunting annual. But my data points don’t stop there. This might even include conversations between myself and my Swarovski rep. Don’t get me wrong; I am a major fan of Swarovski Optik and their repair department—Gail Fisher, manager.

But I also understand that in the name of profit, even some of the biggest names in Europe rebrand some Asian products. I believe all you said about performance, ruggedness, and dependability. But although they say one picture is worth a thousand words, I guess that all depends on who is evaluating the picture and what they understand about the industry.

On Swarovki’s request, I took shipment of a Kahles bino. But finding it virtually the same as the Celestron Nobel—at a greater price—I opted in favor of my customer’s wallet. Over the years, that stance has cost me plenty of money. But if you don’t have health, you HAVE nothing. If you don’t have integrity, you ARE nothing.

I make no bones about the Kahles being a world-class instrument. If it were my prime instrument, over my Nikon 8x32 SE, I could be a happy birder until my dirt nap. Do I have a problem with their marketing? I do. And, not being bashful, I have told them. Oh, what crap the novice consumer is expected to swallow. And he is expected to do it because he has a long track record of doing so. Hey, I could make you a special deal on some ENRON stock. What say? :cat:

Bill

Bill,

Kahles's marketing?

What marketing?

Every now and then somebody will throw them a bone like Shooting Editor Terry Wieland did in an article in the Feb/Mar 2006 issue of Gray's Sporting Journal in a 4 page article titled "8x30. Who could ask for anything more?"

Wieland believed that "cheap optics wore out good boots."

The article was about the size of hunting binoculars. He recommended high quality 8x32 binoculars; specifically Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica, which were the "creme, " but there were others he mentioned like Kahles which was the first time I had ever heard of it.

He liked the size and weight of the 8x32s, especially on safari's in Africa where he had previously carried 8x42s.

He ended up recommending the Leica Trinovid and Ultravid; the Zeiss Victory 8x32T*FL, 8x30 B T* and 8x30 Classic,; the Swarovski SLC 8x30 WB and the new Swarovski 8x32 EL and the 8x32 Kahles.

He commented that the "Kahles falls somewhere in the middle of all of them, and if seen by itself one might swoon."

Bob

Bill,

Kahles's marketing?

What marketing?

Every now and then somebody will throw them a bone like Shooting Editor Terry Wieland did in an article in the Feb/Mar 2006 issue of Gray's Sporting Journal in a 4 page article titled "8x30. Who could ask for anything more?"

Wieland believed that "cheap optics wore out good boots."

The article was about the size of hunting binoculars. He recommended high quality 8x32 binoculars; specifically Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica, which were the "creme, " but there were others he mentioned like Kahles which was the first time I had ever heard of it.

He liked the size and weight of the 8x32s, especially on safari's in Africa where he had previously carried 8x42s.

He ended up recommending the Leica Trinovid and Ultravid; the Zeiss Victory 8x32T*FL, 8x30 B T* and 8x30 Classic,; the Swarovski SLC 8x30 WB and the new Swarovski 8x32 EL and the 8x32 Kahles.

He commented that the "Kahles falls somewhere in the middle of all of them, and if seen by itself one might swoon."

Bob

'Morning Bob:

A little or a lot, everything said or printed is marketing. I believe it should all be truthful. That being my mantra is why no optical firm wants to hire me. My track record in business has not made me wealthy but it has sure profited the few companies I worked for. I proved the experts ... wrong. They don’t understand because the world is so far removed from business practices based on gospel principles.

Today’s 20-year old will have 8 jobs and 3 careers before retiring. There is no way with that kind of job-hopping anyone can focus enough on one discipline to be an "expert" appreciated by the consumer. For 21 years in my shop, NO ONE WAS ON COMMISSION! Commission can cause one to skirt dishonesty. I told my people:

“Do the right thing, for the right reason, or do it somewhere else.”

Know your craft, train your customers in what they need to know*, provide the best customer service, and there is no way you can help but make a profit. The know-it-all business magnates will know you are a fool. But that’s okay, you can laugh all the way to the bank ... riding in the car with one of your customers, while you discuss your business model.

Bill

* Try as you will, you can’t save some people from themselves. One customer sold his 17.5-Coulter Dobsonian and bought a 4 & 1/4” Astroscan from me, with me doing ALL mortally possible to share the realities of optics with him. He wanted the stars MAGNIFIED. I told him what he was doing was like trading a Silver Cloud for a tricycle. He couldn’t believe it. In many ways, we are all ignorant. That’s normal human frailties. But when it metastasizes into willful stupidity ... it’s terminal. :cat:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back