• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are your thoughts on these? (1 Viewer)

Talon 1

Looking at these maybe for my D70 135-400mm .

Also got my eyes on a Manfrotto o55pro secondhand. But not sure what head to put with it.

Anyway what do you wizards think of the above range?

I have a manfrotto 055NAT tripod - not sure of what head is with it, but it's not a photographic one unfortunately (it doesn't tilt). Don't get me wrong, it's great for the scope, but because it doesn't tilt, it limits photos to landscape. Just make sure you get one that tilts!

I use my tripod mainly for scoping. Tend to nearly always hand hold for photography - just find the tripod too "slow". Saying that, i have used it occasionally, and find it VERY sturdy. It's just a bit too heavy to carry about a lot. Give me my homemade beanbag any day!

Hi Free

Don't worry too much about getting a head that tilts, personally I find that they do not provide such solid support. Your Sigma lens has a rotating tripod mount, so you can rotate the lens to shoot portrait or landscape.

The Manfrotto 055 is a good tripod so if the secondhand one you're looking at is in good condition it will probably be a good buy. I can't get either link to open (probably my slow connection) - which head is it your are thinking of getting?

My tamron 200-500 can be rotated via the mount - but i never thought of that! Just how stupid is that!!! Cheers.

postcardcv said:
Hi Free

Don't worry too much about getting a head that tilts, personally I find that they do not provide such solid support. Your Sigma lens has a rotating tripod mount, so you can rotate the lens to shoot portrait or landscape.

The Manfrotto 055 is a good tripod so if the secondhand one you're looking at is in good condition it will probably be a good buy. I can't get either link to open (probably my slow connection) - which head is it your are thinking of getting?

Really not sure , more than likely a 'Ball head'.What did you think of their bird selection?

Thanks

Hi Free,

The 055C is a wonderful tripod but it is HEAVY - funnily enough though this is what makes it ideal for seawatching as it is much less affected by wind. If weight is an issue then you are looking at the (expensive) carbon fibre range which are really good if you plan a lot of long distance walking to your photogaphy sites.

As for heads I would recommend the 121RC which is the basic pan/tilit head but more than robust enough for even a Canon 20D+300mm f2.8, another choice is the 222RC pistol grip ball head (not everyone can get the hang of these). The video heads are smooth, but add weight & size to a combo.

Good luck with your photography :hi:

Free said:
Really not sure , more than likely a 'Ball head'.What did you think of their bird selection?

Thanks

I don't have much experience with ball heads - personally I do not like them, though this may be because I am used to using 'video' heads. The 222 head that was mentioned is a good head, but slightly strange to use, I think the new version (the 322) looks even better and easier.

As I said I'm a fan of video heads, I like having the pan handle for moving rather than holding onto the camera/scope. I think this is more of an issue when using a scope, so if you're going to be using both I'd recommend a good video head. One of the most popular amongst birders is the 128, it's a big solid head - the only bad point would be the weight. Currently I use a 200 head, which is smaller and lighter than the 128 but performs just as well - not sure if they are still making this head. I am about to change to a 510 video head as I've just bought a big telephoto and need a stronger head.

On an other thread that was running along the same lines as this one,my kit is now a 701rc2 head with a 190mf3 tripod.As the years are catching up with me i went for a lighter setup.Well over 30 odd years I have ben lugging a scope around with me(first tripod was my knee) and this is without doubt the best bit of kit I have ever bought,you can be out in the field for hours and still find the weight tolerable.

POP

Cheers Richie - i needed to know that as i've lost the little screw from the plate, which stops the scope swivelling. I had to remove it when I attached my camera the other week. Need two plates anyway as it's a pain swapping from camera to scope (even though i don't do it often). But, if anyone is going to use a tripod for both, then the tip is - ALWAYS get another plate, and leave one on the camera and one on the scope - permanently.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back