• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"diagnosis not seen" for genus names in the Key A through S (2 Viewers)

2. Chloropogon (syn. Chalcostigma Ϯ Rufous-capped Thornbill C. ruficeps) Gr. χλωρος khlōros green; πωγων pōgōn, πωγωνος pōgōnos beard. Diagnosis not yet seen (Simon 1918, Notice sur Les Travaux Scientifiques, 39).
3. Chlorostola (syn. Thalurania Ϯ Violet-capped Woodnymph T. glaucopis) Gr. χλωρος khlōros green; στολη stolē garment, robe < στελλω stellō to clothe. Diagnosis not yet seen (Simon 1918, Notice sur Les Travaux Scientifiques, 38).
4. Coeliola (syn. Coeligena Ϯ Bronzy Inca C. coeligena) Dim. < L. caelum heaven. Diagnosis not yet seen (Simon 1918, Notice sur Les Travaux Scientifiques, 39)
I have not seen these three yet but Charles Richmond reports that Simon in 1921 said that Chloropogon was preoccupied and he substituted Selatopogon .
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/35528#page/63/mode/1up . (1919) T. ruficeps . Revue francaise d’ornithologie.
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k881462w/f393.image . (1921)
Histoire naturelle des Trochilidae : (synopsis et catalogue)
Then Richmond stated that Chlorostola was a preoccupied name which Simon substituted Chlorurania:
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/35528#page/63/mode/1up . (1919)
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k881462w/f312.image . (1921)
I am pretty confused about the next name and what Simon did. I think he replaced Coeliola with Pseudocoeligena?
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k881462w/f373.image .
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/15670393#page/546/mode/1up .
(First species mentioned)
I assume that the Great War caused Notice sur Les Travaux Scientifiques to be so rare?

Last edited:
James, I assume Sakesphoroides Grantsau 2010 is still "not seen" (since not quoted in today's Key), or?

Surely somebody, of all the readers of BirdForum, must have this fairly recent (major) Work on Brazilian birds [Guia completo para identificação das aves do Brasil, in two volumes, 2010] ... !?

Björn

PS. And by the way, James, today's Key entry for that one looks a bit strange. Odd line break ...

Sakesphoroides
Björn, line breaks come under Technical & Engineering and are beyond my pay grade. I have, however, tinkered with the entry and that may help.
As for the removal of Sakesphoroides from "Diagnoses not yet seen" I think the quotation from Martens & Bahr provides a synthesis of the original diagnosis, and therefore a view of that original is no longer essential. In any event the etymology of the name is correctly explained. By this reasoning I have also removed other names from the "Diagnoses not yet seen" list (e.g. Philippinia). The only original diagnoses that I really want to see are von Müller's Carpospiza (currently recognised, but I am still not sure of the etymology), Hodgson's Perdicula (currently recognised), and Simon's Chlorostola, Chloropogon and Coeliola (altho' I suspect these last are probably just one-liners).

Thank you Björn. I jumped the gun. I knew it was by v. Heuglin. But I was hoping seven years after v. Muller's publication and spending 10 lines to discuss the genus perhaps it was informed by someone who read the OD and who would repeat it. In the Philippinia case the second publication showed quote marks to show when they were repeating the OD. No such marks here. Also he discusses the species authors info (Ehrenberg) , and discusses his own experience with the bird. He does discuss v. Muller's drawing. OD Still needed to be seen.
Carpospiza. V. Mull.
175. C. brachydactyla, Ehr. --- P. grisea v. Heugl. – C. longipennis, v. Mull.
Diese merkwurdiger Form worde von Ehrenberg bei Gomfuda in
Arabien entrieckt und von mir in den Habob-Lundern und in Kordofan
wieder gefunden. C. brachydactyla leht schaarenweise in der
Steppe auf Bushen und Hecken und ihre Nahrung besteht in Sameriein
wilder Grameenen . Die Exemplare aus Kordofan zeigen einen suffallend
dunkleren, mehr rauchbraunen Grundton der Gafiedert, wogegen
die Grundfarbe der ostlichen Varietat merh wustengelb ist. In Benchmen und Lockton haben diese
Vogel viel Ammerartigen das sich auch im Schusbelban und der Zeichnung ausspricht.
Carpospiza. V. Mull.
175. C. brachydactyla, Ehr. --- P. grisea v. Heugl. C. longipennis, v. Mull.
This strange form of Ehrenberg at Gomfuda in
Arabia is wailing and from me in the Habob-Lundern and in Kordofan
found again. C. brachydactyla lies in droves in the
Steppe on bushen and hedges and their food consists in Sameriein
wild Grameenen. The copies from Kordofan show a suffallend
darker, more smoky brown tone of the Gafiedert, whereas
the basic color of the eastern variety is still yellowish yellow. In Benchmen and Lockton have these Bird much Ammerartigen that also pronounces in Schusbelban and the drawing. (Google translate)
P. grisea v. Heugl. = Poliospiza Schiff in Bonaparte.?

Last edited:
But this library is missing no. 9. The volume with PERDICULA Hodgson.
" Wanting: NS.9, no.42 (June 1837)"

Last edited:
Perdicula

As I read it SUNCAT (Serials Union Catalogue; for the UK research community) does say that British Library; Asia, Pacific and Africa Collections, in London (here and here) do have the Bengal Sporting (and General) Magazine, vol. IX, No.41 (i.e. the January issue, the one James is looking for), but not No.42 (the June one, the latter ought to be of less importance, in this matter) ... don´t they?

/B

Perdicula Bengal Sporting Magazine IX No. 41. You are right Björn.
Ghent University Library has Carpospiza Müller part III in what they call Description de nouveaux oiseaux d'Afrique découverts et dessinés d'après nature, pour servir aux planches ... I paid 10 Euros for planch X or 10 and four pages of text which describes Carpospiza longipennis. They have a great reproduction program of their rare books.

The OD of Carpospiza is attached.
Thanks to the staff of the University of Gent library.

Attachments

• Birdscan.jpg
    Birdscan.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
Also planch (Tab.)? X of Carpospiza longipennis.

Attachments

• birdscan2.jpg
    birdscan2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Thanks, "A simple portmanteau of Carpodacus and Corospiza" i thin so. Im still confused by the reference to F. Simplex. I expected the book to be in German? Does the drawing look like brevipennis? What ever happened to C. longipennis?

Thanks, "A simple portmanteau of Carpodacus and Corospiza" i thin so. Im still confused by the reference to F. Simplex. I expected the book to be in German? Does the drawing look like brevipennis? What ever happened to C. longipennis?
The bird described here in details and shown on the plate is his Carpospiza longipennis. He says he initially thought the specimens were female Fringilla simplex (now Passer simplex, Desert Sparrow), but after a closer look he realized they were not.

C. brevipennis is briefly introduced in the PS at the end of the text (second scan, left page), where he says he once killed a bird in Kordofan, with a Carpospiza-like bill structure but shorter wings, and the back, rump, wings and tail of a yellowish rusty colour. Then he adds that if it is really a new species he calls it Carpospiza brevipennis.
(As the name is introduced in a conditional way, I'd tend not to consider this additional included species as an "originally included nominal species" in the sense of the Code. Thus I think the type remains C. longipennis by original monotypy.)

The work apparently had a German and a French edition that were published in parallel. Which text appeared first in the present case, I don't know for sure. The Richmond Index apparently takes the name from the German edition, but in the Zoonomen list it's the French edition that is cited, without explanation.

Last edited:
So ... von Müller's Beiträge zur Ornithologie Afrika's (the German edition) ... is still "unseen". Sigh! A bit disappointing.

James, any need to keep looking for it? Or is the French edition enough?

Björn

PS. Perdicula should be able to find in London, see post #250.
__

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back