• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterflies from Bahrain (1 Viewer)

AJDH

England
I reckon your first one is a Plain Tiger, Danaus chrysippus and the second to fourth a Lime Butterfly, Papilio demolius. The last is quite possibly egg-laying but I wouldn't swear to it!
I've got a copy of a book called, "Butterflies of Saudi Arabia and Its Neighbours", by Torben B. Larsen and published by Transworld Arabian Library, 1984, ISBN 0 905743 369, which you'd probably find useful if you can locate a copy somewhere in Saudi or Bahrain, though of course there may be a more up-to-date reference book available now.
Best wishes, Thomas

I reckon your first one is a Plain Tiger, Danaus chrysippus and the second to fourth a Lime Butterfly, Papilio demolius. The last is quite possibly egg-laying but I wouldn't swear to it!
I've got a copy of a book called, "Butterflies of Saudi Arabia and Its Neighbours", by Torben B. Larsen and published by Transworld Arabian Library, 1984, ISBN 0 905743 369, which you'd probably find useful if you can locate a copy somewhere in Saudi or Bahrain, though of course there may be a more up-to-date reference book available now.
Best wishes, Thomas

Thanks for that Thomas.

I completely agree with the IDs. Both species are widespread, Danaus chrysippus in Africa and Asia and Papilio demoleus in Asia and Australia. The latter lays its eggs on citrus trees. Do you have any idea what plant it was in the pictures? I once photographed the species in the middle of Hanoi in Vietnam (see http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/108142/ppuser/46530 ). Took some time to get rid of the locals that wanted to sell me t-shirts, maps, oranges etc. before they let me take the picture...

Jack

I completely agree with the IDs. Both species are widespread, Danaus chrysippus in Africa and Asia and Papilio demoleus in Asia and Australia. The latter lays its eggs on citrus trees. Do you have any idea what plant it was in the pictures? I once photographed the species in the middle of Hanoi in Vietnam (see http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/108142/ppuser/46530 ). Took some time to get rid of the locals that wanted to sell me t-shirts, maps, oranges etc. before they let me take the picture...

Jack

I think they were lemon trees. It was in a small fruit garden on the farm we go to for most of our bird photography.

Thanks for the confirmation on ID.

Adrian

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back