• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No retro Trinovids after all? (1 Viewer)

There have been quite a few folks, including in this forum, who have expressed that they would gladly buy a classic Trinovid updated with the latest anti-reflection and phase coatings; let's hope these outnumber those who are carping about waterproofing (of which how many ever get their binoculars wet enough that their full waterproofing - ie. ability to withstand immersion - is tested?). Leica does seem to trade on its past to some extent, and I do think a retro Trinovid (light, compact, beautifully built - let's hope the new ones will indeed have that kind of build quality, and that the difficulty/cost of building them as well as the old ones were isn't the reason for the delay/cancellation) would fit in well with their marketing strategy, and have its own appeal. Even the Uppendahl prism, although not having the 100% transmission of the Abbe-Konig, is probably a plus point amongst birders technically minded enough to know about such things.

In the Leica website (difficult to navigate--this seems to be another criterion for "alpha" binoculars!) a brochure can presently be downloaded with all their models and this includes the new "retro" Trinovid range. It has been published on Nov. 20th 2017: maybe plans changed since then. One way to get to it is through the webpages for the Trinovid "HD" range. In it see pages 7, 22-23 and 64. The text answers something I have wondered about: 'Trinovid' (they say) is "Three novel innovations" (Tri Novi): ergonomic construction, true internal focusing and superior optical performance."

In the Leica website (difficult to navigate--this seems to be another criterion for "alpha" binoculars!) a brochure can presently be downloaded with all their models and this includes the new "retro" Trinovid range. It has been published on Nov. 20th 2017: maybe plans changed since then. One way to get to it is through the webpages for the Trinovid "HD" range. In it see pages 7, 22-23 and 64. The text answers something I have wondered about: 'Trinovid' (they say) is "Three novel innovations" (Tri Novi): ergonomic construction, true internal focusing and superior optical performance."

That's a free interpretation of the original Tri Novi's, but never the less it was true back in the days.

Jan

Yep, still there, scroll down to the English brochure pdf

http://uk.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Leica-Birding/Binoculars/Leica-Trinovid-HD/Downloads

My dealer wrote me to suggest cancelling my order of the Trinovid 7x35 and that's what I did. Poor style of Leica to announce a new product at such an immature stage. Poor business decision as well, the enthusiasm and momentum generated by the announcement of these binoculars seems gone.

My dealer wrote me to suggest cancelling my order of the Trinovid 7x35 and that's what I did. Poor style of Leica to announce a new product at such an immature stage. Poor business decision as well, the enthusiasm and momentum generated by the announcement of these binoculars seems gone.

I agree.

Flatfield,

Do you know if your Leica dealer suggested this because he was informed it won't come or is it because it takes so long?

Jan

Flatfield,
Do you know if your Leica dealer suggested this because he was informed it won't come or is it because it takes so long?Jan

Jan, according to my dealer, Leica "indicated it could be several months before they are able to supply." They were unable to provide an acurate ETA.

Meanwhile, I ordered a Nikon 8x30 EII.

flatfield, post 28,
The Nikon EII is not waterproof, I mention it since many on this forum used loads of words to stress that the new Trinovids should/must be waterproof otherwise........disaster.
Gijs van Ginkel

... let's hope these outnumber those who are carping about waterproofing (of which how many ever get their binoculars wet enough that their full waterproofing - ie. ability to withstand immersion - is tested?).

And how well does that ability perform when tested anyway? The #1 finding of the Allbinos endurance comparison test (mentioned in a recent thread here) was that Ultravids leaked like sieves when fully immersed. Perhaps the carping is entirely pointless,and all that really counts is Leica's commitment to warranty repair/replacement.

And how well does that ability perform when tested anyway? The #1 finding of the Allbinos endurance comparison test (mentioned in a recent thread here) was that Ultravids leaked like sieves when fully immersed. Perhaps the carping is entirely pointless,and all that really counts is Leica's commitment to warranty repair/replacement.

I remember reading an article a few years ago by Terry Wieland, Shooting Editor of Gray's Sporting Journal, about how he tested binoculars for water proofing.

It seems that he tied them to a long length of heavy twine and threw them off a dock into 6 feet or so a water and left them there overnight. If they hadn't leaked by breakfast the next morning they passed the test.

Bob

flatfield, post 28,
The Nikon EII is not waterproof, I mention it since many on this forum used loads of words to stress that the new Trinovids should/must be waterproof otherwise........disaster.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs:

I am not sure why you mentioned a Nikon binocular in this discussion,
as this is a Leica topic.

Those that would purchase a Nikon EII, are not concerned a bit about
waterproofness.

Tell us more about that.

Jerry

For those wondering, I suppose Leica will provide more information about the new Trinovid, when they are ready to.

It seems some on here are impatient, and I am not sure why.

Just relax.. it is just a new binocular..o:)

Jerry

Jan:

Peter

PS. Seriously, my contact works for Leica Camera's CS in Germany, and given my previous experience I have hardly any reason not to trust him.

A contact within Leica has confirmed that there has been no announcement that this project is cancelled but that it is clear that deliveries will be subject to delays, probably long delays.

Lee

The Leica rep at the Space Coast Birding Festival says that the retro Trinovids have been delayed indefinitely. He has not been told why.

Doug of Cameraland is currently attending the Shot Show in Las Vegas and has posted on another site that "The classic Trinovid has been delayed probably till years end". Sounds like it is still a possibility.

As a side note, he also said "There is no Noctivid 32 on the immediate horizon".

The IWA Outdoor Show starts March 9th, 2018 in Germany. Maybe some attendees can get more specific information then. Birdfair starts August 17th, 2018.

My brother recently dropped by Leica Mayfair and was (for what that's worth) told they would be in "in the latter half of the year". They are certainly being advertised - https://leicastore-mayfair.co.uk/collections/trinovids

I do wonder, incidentally, how prices of old Leitz Trinovids may, or may not, be affected once these appear. Will demand for the one ones fall now that you can get a classic Trinovid with phase-coated prisms and multi-coated lenses (albeit at considerably more than the old ones - expensive though they are - would cost), or do the buyers that want the Leitz models want those and those only?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back