• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID birds from Botswana, Zambia and Malawi (1 Viewer)

Cobalt

Hi everyone,

I have recently returned from a fantastic trip to Botswana, Zambia and Malawi. Looking through my pics, there are a handful of birds that I'm having trouble identifying. I thought I'd put them all in this thread instead of making separate ones. If anyone is able to please help me identify them that'd be great.

Here are the first five:

1) Some kind of cisticola? Okavango panhandle

2) I think this is a warbler of some sort. Okavango panhandle

3) A flycatcher? South Luangwa, Zambia

4) Cisticola? South Luangwa, Zambia

5) Not sure what kind of weaver this is. Okavango panhandle

Thank you very much for your help :)

Attachments

• Cisticola ID D.JPG
    Cisticola ID D.JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Warbler ID D.JPG
    Warbler ID D.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN7147 SL.JPG
    DSCN7147 SL.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN7534 SL.jpg
    DSCN7534 SL.jpg
    777.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Weaver-ID-D.jpg
    Weaver-ID-D.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 28
Thanks everyone, much appreciated :)

Here are 5 more pics. Canaries? The first 2 were spotted in Mt Mulanje, Malawi and the last 3 were in South Luangwa, Zambia.

Attachments

• Canary ID M.JPG
    Canary ID M.JPG
    914.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Canary ID.jpg
    Canary ID.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 8
  • canary ID SL.JPG
    canary ID SL.JPG
    746.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN7189 SL.JPG
    DSCN7189 SL.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN7274 SL.JPG
    DSCN7274 SL.JPG
    932.7 KB · Views: 11
To me, the first two look like Yellow-fronted Canaries. Photo 3 should be Brimstone Canary.

Photo 4 seems to have a really non-Canary bill if it's not just the angle. Juvenile weaver? (Southern Brown-throated?) Or maybe I just can't see the canary with my poor eye.

Photo 5 looks like a Quelea to me. Are you confident it's some kind of or stage of a Canary?

To me, the first two look like Yellow-fronted Canaries. Photo 3 should be Brimstone Canary.

Photo 4 seems to have a really non-Canary bill if it's not just the angle. Juvenile weaver? (Southern Brown-throated?) Or maybe I just can't see the canary with my poor eye.

Photo 5 looks like a Quelea to me. Are you confident it's some kind of or stage of a Canary?
Thanks for your help!

Sorry yes you are right, the last two are not canaries. #4 does look more weaver-like and #5 looks like a quelea. Could it be red-billed?

IMO #5 looks better for an Euplectes female than a Quelea, based on head/crown striations (seem too heavy and contrasting for Quelea).

IMO #5 looks better for an Euplectes female than a Quelea, based on head/crown striations (seem too heavy and contrasting for Quelea).
Thanks for the info. It could also be a female bishop. Unfortunately I don't remember seeing any males around as they were in breeding plumage, which would've made it a lot easier to identify.

Here are the next lot of pictures...

#1 I have no idea... from Kafue/Zambezi, Zambia
#2 #3 #4 Flycatchers from Kafue/Zambezi, Liwonde Malawi and Mt Mulanje Malawi, respectively.
#5 Flycatcher? Chobe river. Such bad lighting in the photo, I don't expect anyone to ID this, but worth a shot.

Thanks

Attachments

• Kafue.jpg
    Kafue.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Flycatcher Kafue.JPG
    Flycatcher Kafue.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • Flycatcher LW.JPG
    Flycatcher LW.JPG
    922.7 KB · Views: 4
  • flycatcher ID M.JPG
    flycatcher ID M.JPG
    957.6 KB · Views: 3
  • id C 20th.jpg
    id C 20th.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 7
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back