• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What to wear when birding?! (1 Viewer)

Tim Allwood said:
Apparently a pair of tights under your trousers is quite warming...........
Agreed. Though on the really cold days there might be two pair under a pair of jeans. Somewhat resemble the pillsbury doughboy but I find myself warmer win layers. I'll tell you something though. I will wear a pair of running shoes before I will wear leather shoes. The running shoes keep my feet a whole lot warmer and gives me more flexibility.

Hi Christine.....yesterday was about minus 20 with windchill and I stupidly decided to do a seawatch from local cape. I didn't see much but I wasn't too cold. A down or primaloft jacket over a thermal top, a fleece neck gaiter, polartec longjohns under regular pants and two pairs of socks under gore-tex boots.............

Bear in mind that decent outdoor gear is MUCH cheaper ( and some would say better quality too ) in the USA/Canada than in the UK. Someone mentioned MEC in Canada and there is also REI and Cabelas in the USA. Even with delivery charges it's way cheaper than visiting your local shop.............well for brand names anyway it's often 30-50% cheaper.These websites often have heavy discounts on last years gear.

Jeans, runners, BF cap, and a Vietnamese polyester baseball jacket that must have some design secret, because it's warm, windproof and comfortable between minus 10 and plus 20.

Well, here in San Diego where the temperature fluctuates sometimes a whopping +/- 10 degrees from 75 Farenhite - we have to be really, really careful when deciding... short sleeves or long sleeves? ;-)

Carlos GY said:
I wouldn't pay a fortune....
Well, the Paramo clothing does cost quite a lot unless, like me, you find a bargain sale item. But it lasts for years and years - chepaer clothing does not as the waterproof membrane always eventually wears out.

That web link has real bargains on Paramo - many half price if the size and colour available suits. I've just ordered a bird watcher friendly green Taiga fleece which my son already has - he paid £140 and is amazed at how it keeps him so warm and dry (he wears it every day!) - I'm getting mine for £70 post free!!

Last edited:
Sleeper said:
Are you sure thats how you spell chiffon?

Oh dear rogerk it seems you are bitter and a little twisted ....take two before bed! LOL

Oh dear sleeper, it seems you didn't have a dictionary to hand before making smart*rsed comments:

chiffon

Beware Regatta waterproof jackets, I have a green one and the outside layer is not waterproof. When it rains heavy the material takes on water and it bleed inside the cuff meaning cold and wet wrists.

Can't afford a new one right now so I am stuck with it. Even a good dose of Fabsil didn't cure it.

Hi folks,
well theres a beweildering amount of choice out there,what ever happened to the trusty old "pack-a-mac"?!!Lost in the mists of time i guess.
Anyway,im off to cut some arm holes out of a bin liner...oh,and a nice chiffon scarf to set it all off!

Christine

In cold conditions (most of the time over here!):
Canvas walking boots, thick socks, moleskin trousers, T-shirt, moleskin shirt, Cornish fisherman's jumper, ¾ Barbour, woolly hat and mittens.

Being an impoverished birder, I tend to wear a lot of army surplus! (all at the same time - layering you see!)
Seriously though, you can't beat a "Norgie" as a "mid-layer" and you'd also be hard pushed to find a lighter/quieter/faster drying windproof (even if completely soaked!!) jacket than a Marines/SAS issue smock
Though these are getting extremely rare now & I'm dreading the day mine finally needs replacing (they regularly fetch upwards of £120 on eBay!!)

And yes, Ladies tights under trousers on very cold days are something well worth considering (just don't get knocked down by any buses whilst wearing them Gents! ;) )

Cheers

SimonC said:
Oh dear sleeper, it seems you didn't have a dictionary to hand before making smart*rsed comments:

chiffon
I am sorry you felt the need to reply to this post simon as it was never meant as A smart comment. It was wriiten in the same frame as the original "sarcastic" manner, which I found amusing.

I have to say that my grammer and spelling are not up to high standards but i would hope this does not make me a lesser birder and as such welcome to post on this site.

rogerk i apologise if you have taken offense to my post and I say this with my fog eyed wellies on!!

Andrew said:
Beware Regatta waterproof jackets, I have a green one and the outside layer is not waterproof. When it rains heavy the material takes on water and it bleed inside the cuff meaning cold and wet wrists.

Can't afford a new one right now so I am stuck with it. Even a good dose of Fabsil didn't cure it.
I think Regatta have improved dramatically in this past year or two - they seem to have cornered a good slice of the market.

I have a couple of Regatta coats too and I agree that they seem to ahve far beter products that just a few years back. I have just bought a Peter Storm lightwieght breathable waterproof which looked to be better than a Berghaus at twice the price.

Sleeper said:
I am sorry you felt the need to reply to this post simon as it was never meant as A smart comment. It was wriiten in the same frame as the original "sarcastic" manner, which I found amusing.

I have to say that my grammer and spelling are not up to high standards but i would hope this does not make me a lesser birder and as such welcome to post on this site.

rogerk i apologise if you have taken offense to my post and I say this with my fog eyed wellies on!!
I thought it was Roger, not you, 'sleeper' (oh how I wish we would sign off with our real names!) who, if anyone, "deserved" that kind of comment - but I think we all saw the humour. If they watch birds rather than shoot them I don't care whether they wear chiffon or not; but my view of RSPB birdwatchers is not quite so jaundiced. We had a similar comment about Swarovski birders recently, and then not so long before that about the "red spot" brigade.

All very odd but human nature nonetheless. I know that since I stopped walking around with older birding gear around my neck I have noticed one or two birders give me a knowing look (no - not that kind of look!). One, who I was talking to recently, even commented,"You're new to birding, then, are you?" - I'd never have had that assumption in the old days - and I guess he was thinking the same kind of thoughts that beset Roger!

Last edited:
Simon,
I would never had thought of army surplus but as luck would have it,theres an army surplus store called "laurence corner" not far from me,i'll check it out.
Thanks for the tip!

Christine

I bought a fold-up Peter Storm waterproof jacket. sits at the bottom of the rucksack. Very handy in the UK!!

I realise this is a difficult question to answer but could anybody give any ideas for a good pair of gloves that keep hands warm without the bulk? I am normally fine with the fingerless gloves but my wife always struggles with cold hands.

In a past post somebody mentioned fingerless gloves with fold down fingers , as such. are these reassonably warm? thanks

If you call into a mountaineering shop (they seem to be in all cities these days - even Loughborough has one!) - you will find plenty on offer - although at a price. I bought a pair of windproof gloves from our local shop that are quite thin but which have been as warm and dry as the salesman promised - they easily allow me to use my scopes and bins with them on.

My son has a piar of fingerless gloves that have a mitten and thumb part that folds over to cover the fingerless glove part (sorry about the poor description). They work quite well but the cold air still gets in a little!

Hi sleeper,
my daughters friend bought a pair of those gloves in "gap" of all places recently.Just plain black fingerless ones with a fold down mitten attached.

Christine

Sleeper said:
I realise this is a difficult question to answer but could anybody give any ideas for a good pair of gloves that keep hands warm without the bulk? I am normally fine with the fingerless gloves but my wife always struggles with cold hands.

In a past post somebody mentioned fingerless gloves with fold down fingers , as such. are these reassonably warm? thanks

yeah they're pretty good. They should sell them in any RSPB reserve shop.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back