• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Live Cornell Lab Panama webcam: Canopy Lodge (2 Viewers)

Thanks for the ID on the Dusky-faced Tanager. Saw it as well but couldnt find it yet.

So Summarizing this forum has seen and IDed (live):

Grey-headed Chachalacas
Red-Crowned Woodpecker
Rufous Motmot
Clay-coloured Thrushes
Buff-throated Saltator
Palm Tanager
Crimson-backed Tanager
Lemon-rumped Tanager
Blue-grey Tanager
Dusky-faced Tanager
Yellow-throated Euphonia

Hope I didnt miss anything.

I haven't seen the motmot personally, mentioned it as a species that had occurred before I posted the link. According to the Cornell website, the Euphonias are most likely Thick-billed. 10 species at a webcam in 24 hours, not too bad!
At night there were a few hawkmoths feeding on the flowers on the background; there was a butterfly (with large white spots) darting by over the fruit today, just a while ago. And there's a squirrel showing up from time to time (any idea about the ID?).

I haven't seen the motmot personally, mentioned it as a species that had occurred before I posted the link. According to the Cornell website, the Euphonias are most likely Thick-billed. 10 species at a webcam in 24 hours, not too bad!
At night there were a few hawkmoths feeding on the flowers on the background; there was a butterfly (with large white spots) darting by over the fruit today, just a while ago. And there's a squirrel showing up from time to time (any idea about the ID?).

I have seen the Motmot today. There was a Warbler for a brief moment tehre as well (maybe Tennessee)

I was going to say that every time I look at the live feed, it's always clay-colored thrushes. But just now, three collared aracaris is a nice change!

I was going to say that every time I look at the live feed, it's always clay-colored thrushes. But just now, three collared aracaris is a nice change!

Yes, extremely variable throughout the day. There was a "free for all" moment just seconds ago with the following species all together on the feeding table:
Rufous Motmot
Clay-coloured Thrush
Buff-throated Saltator
Crimson-backed Tanager
Lemon-rumped Tanager (aka Flame-rumped Tanager, ssp. icteronotus)
Blue-grey Tanager

and then came the Grey-headed Chachalacas...

Oh look - three clay-colored thrushes. ;) Actually - I have someone in my house who enjoys this live cam MUCH more than I do. My cat. She's transfixed in front of the computer screen when I have this up...but I have to clean the paw prints off my monitor every once in a while!

The thrushes can be a bit of a pain - aggressive with each other and most other stuff visiting. I was just about to tune out yesterday when 4 Aracari turned up. There was at least one present for most of the next 20 minutes during which time nothing else dared to feed. Even the woodpeckers couldn't summon up the courage. The other birds were obviously still right there because as soon as the Aracari left the table even for a moment they were instantly back.
Seemed to me that they regarded the Aracari as dangerous or predatory - I read that they take thrush and tanager fledglings in season - wonder if they'd take an adult given the opportunity.
One of the Aracari has a deformed beak with the lower mandible badly twisted - but it seemed to be feeding OK (though it stayed longer than the others).

Interesting that there never seemed to be even the slightest aggressive behaviour between them - even when three were feeding on a single piece of fruit.

Last edited:
There was just a night time opossum.

There were at least 3 Common Opossums (I think 4 is more likely) yesterday night, one of them quite large. They started to appear not too long after it got dark. This species is one of the 12 opossum species in Panama (and distinct from the Virginia Opossum, which occurs in North America). Here's some images of 3 of them from yesterday.

Attachments

• Common_Opossum_Image3.jpg
    Common_Opossum_Image3.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Common_Opossum_Image6.jpg
    Common_Opossum_Image6.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Common_Opossum_Image7.jpg
    Common_Opossum_Image7.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 37
One of the Morpho butterflies (any clues on species?) also showed up briefly yesterday, feeding on fruit juices or salts on the feeding table. Here's some pics. Unfortunately couldn't get the impressive and electric blue of the upperside...

Attachments

• Butterfly1.jpg
    Butterfly1.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Butterfly2.jpg
    Butterfly2.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back