• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida (1 Viewer)

I think the image is tricky, but for example lower right and in top row #3 from the right shows black far into the secondaries.

Niels

I agree the image is tricky, but some of the birds, for example the one in the upper left, but others as well, clearly show no black on the secondaries, which American White Pelican should always have. I will admit I do not know the full molts sequence of Northern Gannets, but I believe third year gannets have black secondaries with a largely white back and forewing.

I actually disagree with the upper left bird. I see black half way in from the bend in the wing towards the body of the bird. I agree it is thin and could be an artifact - but I think it is an effect of seeing those secondaries almost end on which means that the black is nearly invisible. Tricky indeed!

Niels

In nearly every bird the head sits above the body and the tail is short and square in all cases. Northern Gannets and Sulas in general have pointed longer tails and the head stretches in front of the bird in flight, it does not sit high up and retracted. These are clearly, even in this photo American White Pelicans.

In nearly every bird the head sits above the body and the tail is short and square in all cases. Northern Gannets and Sulas in general have pointed longer tails and the head stretches in front of the bird in flight, it does not sit high up and retracted. These are clearly, even in this photo American White Pelicans.

OK, Andy makes two good points; I will agree that these are not gannets and probably pelicans.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back