• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron's new Travelscope (1 Viewer)

Moocher

Opticron's new brochure arrived today, and within its pages are details of Opticrons new 50mm Scope. The "MM3 ED."

Made from Polycarbonate and lightweight alloys, only 8" long and weighing 600g without eyepiece. Compatible with full,range of HR, HDF and SDL eyepieces.

I look forward to trying one out in the new year.

The rubber eyecup was the only let down on the Vortex. Image was stunning. Really no ideaa why a twist up wasnt used.

How does it compare with the GS52?

Rafael,

In speaking with the US representative at a recent birding expo he mentioned the MM3. He had reportedly had the opportunity to try out a pre-production sample. His comments were that it was notably higher performing than the GS ED 52. He also made several other comments as to its advantages over the GS ED 52 but I am at a loss to remember them at the moment.

Interesting. I use the GS ED 52 and find it a great little scope. If the MM3 really is a noticeable improvement, I for one will be very interested.

Rafael,

In speaking with the US representative at a recent birding expo he mentioned the MM3. He had reportedly had the opportunity to try out a pre-production sample. His comments were that it was notably higher performing than the GS ED 52. He also made several other comments as to its advantages over the GS ED 52 but I am at a loss to remember them at the moment.

Rafael,

Thanks so much for the info!

Interesting. I use the GS ED 52 and find it a great little scope. If the MM3 really is a noticeable improvement, I for one will be very interested.

That's what also crossed my mind. I also have a GS52... The MM3 seems to be a bit lighter but I still didn't had the time to compare properly the details of both.

Was looking at 1 of these the other day in the new brochure, was looking at something small and portable for my up coming trip to the Hebridies. Would like to hear anybody's view on it.

Nobody but Opticron staff have it yet, the eyepiece shown is the 40862 HDF zoom which delivers 12-36x zoom. It is smaller, light, brighter and sharper than the GS 52 ED.

Chris Galvin
Opticron

Last edited:
I have the IS60 ED in angled (I cannot remember it saying anything about WP, so would mine be an older model? How does that compare to the new MM3?

Niels

Hi Niels - the MM3 is much sharper than the IS 60 ED, is 60mm shorter and weighs 190g less.

And don't worry, your IS 60 scope is waterproof :)

Cheers, Pete

Thanks Pete. Might be worth it for me to up/down grade because of the limitations imposed on bag weights when traveling.

Niels

The first Optics Demo when this is available to see will be at Attenborough Nature Centre on Saturday 18th when I will be there from 9:00am till 3:00pm

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back