• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron's new Travelscope (1 Viewer)

Nobody but Opticron staff have it yet, the eyepiece shown is the 40862 HDF zoom which delivers 12-36x zoom. It is smaller, light, brighter and sharper than the GS 52 ED.

Chris Galvin
Opticron

Would it be fair to say that for around £500 this is the best Opticron scope available? Having spent some time researching my first scope I had just about settled on the GS 52 ED so reading your comment I think I should wait a little longer for the MM3?

@stuarta21

There is no single scope that will suit everyone for every purpose/use. we are all a different size, shape etc and the use that we put our scope to will be different so you will appreciate that your question is a difficult one to answer. There is however no substitute for trying out a scope or binoculars in 'Field Conditions' to see what suits you best. Try to get along to an Optics Demo near you to try different scopes.

There is a list of upcoming Field Events where Opticron equipment will be demonstrated on the Opticron website

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/field_events.html

Chris Galvin
Opticron

Pete -
When will this be available in the US?

Thanks -

Steve

Hi Steve - first samples just arrived there this week in time for the Space Coast Festival.

Bulk orders for stock will be there in early February (same as here in the UK).

Shame you're not a bit closer to Huntersville - you could probably get a sneak preview by visiting Kyla at our HQ there.

Cheers, Pete

For those interested in seeing this in the UK, we will also have sample units in all the In Focus shops from today (Friday 17th).

Would be great to hear what people think.

Cheers, Pete

Pete,

Let me know when Cape May gets some in. I would love to see one.

...not that I need an excuse to visit Cape May. ;)

Went to In-focus at Titchwell today and looked through the new Opticron MM3. Like that old Remington advert I was very impressed, so traded in my old mark one ED60 scope and bought the newer much smaller, lighter model - not the company. I will now be waiting for the postman to deliver the newer model.:t:

Went to In-focus at Titchwell today and looked through the new Opticron MM3. Like that old Remington advert I was very impressed, so traded in my old mark one ED60 scope and bought the newer much smaller, lighter model - not the company. I will now be waiting for the postman to deliver the newer model.:t:

Snap! We visited In-Focus at Titchwell yesterday not long after the MM3 had arrived at the shop. We were really impressed, so much so that we have made it our first scope and are eagerly awaiting its arrival :)

@Geoff Brown & @stuarta21

Glad you like it. It does perform much better than the size and weight of it would indicate. Congrats on your purchase

Chris Galvin
Opticron

Looking forward to some reviews. I do want a compact scope. As much as like my 82mm, I don't carry it with me a lot of the time because of size and weight. 50 mm would come in real handy up on the White River Refuge.

Are there any plans for one? Or an adaptor that will fit a Canon PowerShot sx210 (I assume a bridge camera is unsuitable for use in digiscoping as my main camera is a Panasonic FZ62?)

It will be sometime before Opticron has an S4 adaptor but the Phoneskope adaptor is available with adaptor rings for the HDF and SDL zoom eyepieces:

http://www.newprouk.co.uk/phoneskope/index.html

For your SX210 you'll need to use a universal adaptor of some kind. But before investing in one, you should try hand-holding it to the eyepiece to see what sort of results it will give as it has quite a large lens and high optical zoom range. This will probably mean you will get a lot of vignetting.

Cheers, Pete

Any idea when your scope will be delivered?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back