• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (3 Viewers)

Pallid Harrier?

It looks like a Pallid Harrier was also seen at Albufera, Mallorca, again by Juanjo. I will confirm. Mike

I got really excited by this View at S'Amarador S'Albufera but the sun can plays intesting tricks.

However look what else turned up ( Apparently an escapee)

Sigh

Other birds seen today included Sandwich Terns, Spotted Redshank, Goldcrest, Great White and Little Egrets.

A wonderful day after the winds of yesterday

Enjoy St Antoni's Festivals

Attachments

• IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 103
Hi Brian. Martin is right, stick to the main roads and I feel sure you will be ok. I remember when I first came here, I got lost all the time but the roads are very well signposted. As you leave the car park, stay right all the time and you will find yourself on the motorway to Palma. You then stay right for the via cintura and there is a road after some way clearly signposted to Pollensa. I'm assuming you are going there! I hope you will be ok, car hire can be really cheap off season, I know Kevin gets some amazing deals so I'm sure he will help here. Mike

Yes Mike, sadly I think your bird is a Hen Harrier, five fingers showing and the collar is also better for Hen. Shame. I'm not sure where the Pallid was seen, I will ask Juanjo. Mike

Mike, yes that's Bicinta (two jesses on the legs originally) then one fell off and it was called Unicinta and now that the other was has come off it is now known as Sincinta. It's been around a while now but still a nice bird to see. Mike.

Yes Mike, sadly I think your bird is a Hen Harrier, five fingers showing and the collar is also better for Hen. Shame. I'm not sure where the Pallid was seen, I will ask Juanjo. Mike

I wish...I think it is the Marsh..the tail is plain

I did not see the white band at the back

Another photo

Sigh

Attachments

• IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 94
I went to Salobrar de Campos today. Part of "Eddie's Track" is still under water and impassable without wellies. Some of the smaller waders have moved to the salt pans viewable from the road to Es Trenc beach. Plenty of Flamingos, Redshank, Kentish Plovers, Shelduck, Grey Plover and Little Stint.
The polo pitch at the back of the reserve, Sa Barrala, is well worth keeping an eye on. The fields are full of Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Lapwing, Linnet, Song Thrush, Black Redstart and Stonechat. I feel sure that during migration, lots of good birds pass through but coverage is minimal. Mike

There was also a census of wintering birds carried out at Salobrar and surrounding areas at the weekend which makes for interesting reading. It can be found at gobmallorca.com>forum under "forum aus". Mike

Last edited:
Hi Stew, many thanks for that, I will keep a copy and let you know about all butterfly and dragonfly sightings that I think may be of interest. Mike

Thanks Mike - I'm particularly interested in dragonfly/damselfly records and where I might see them!

Stew

Hi Stew
Thanks for these.
I've just been through your Odonata list and compared it with the list of species recorded from the Balearic Islands on the Fauna Europaea website, and my notes on the Odonata.

Hi Martin,

Very many thanks for this - much appreciated. Unexpectedly coming across violet dropwing and black pennant on the island in 2014 made me realise that there didn't appear to be an odonata list for Mallorca. I make no great claims for mine, but it does seem worth trying to bring together apparent records from other sources to identify the possibilities when I'm on the island!

I've produced an amended list (attached).

Apologies to others for cluttering up the bird forum with dragonfly posts!

Stew

Attachments

• Mallorca & BI Dragonflies (word).docx
    19.3 KB · Views: 165
Hi Stew, please don't worry, all things Mallorca are of great interest! I know many people who very much enjoy Martin's input on moths and insects and they often tell me how much they have learnt.
I and others have posted questions about wasps, snakes, beetles etc. and we always get an answer. Personally I have found it extremely interesting and satisfying to find new things like the stick insect I recently posted.
It's especially good to have other things to look at when bird life is quiet. I guess nearly all birders take an interest in general wildlife too.
Many thanks, Mike

A very cold front has moved through the island today and it has been snowing over much of Mallorca, even at sea level.
The front has brought many Starlings and thrushes apparently, including the possibility of a Siberian Thrush. If I get any more news I will post immediately. Mike

Pies in the Sky

A very cold front has moved through the island today and it has been snowing over much of Mallorca, even at sea level.
The front has brought many Starlings and thrushes apparently, including the possibility of a Siberian Thrush. If I get any more news I will post immediately. Mike

Very Strong winds, Snow and sleet in the North.
How do birds survive this battering?
All I have is my Majorca Daily Bulletin to keep me warm and hopeful for the future.

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 88
Hello everyone, I have a question, at 2230 every night a bird starts calling outside my window in Esporles but I have not been able to identify it yet. I assume it's a type of Owl but it doesn't sound like the Skops owl that is relatively common in these parts. The sound sounds like a low toned digital telephone ringing but without the normal ring tone that has spaces between the rings, if that makes sense, Ha.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I have a question, at 2230 every night a bird starts calling outside my window in Esporles but I have not been able to identify it yet. I assume it's a type of Owl but it doesn't sound like the Skops owl that is relatively common in these parts. The sound sounds like a low toned digital telephone ringing but without the normal ring tone that has spaces between the rings, if that makes sense, Ha.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Do you think it could be a kind of frog? they are singing a lot these nights, previous to the cold wave.

Thanks Josep, I suppose it's possible but the animal has been there for over a year and there are other frogs down the valley on the other side of the house in Summer that sound different. I will try to make a recording the next time there is no wind and post it but it is a temperamental thing that stops calling at the slightest movement or sound of noise, I think it is looking directly into our bedroom, ha.
John

Thanks Josep, I suppose it's possible but the animal has been there for over a year and there are other frogs down the valley on the other side of the house in Summer that sound different. I will try to make a recording the next time there is no wind and post it but it is a temperamental thing that stops calling at the slightest movement or sound of noise, I think it is looking directly into our bedroom, ha.
John

Sorry I mean not a frog but an balearic toad (bufo viridis), it is very different from frogs and sometimes around palma i get very confusex when they start to sing in January.
You can listen it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF-6_HgjOkg

Last edited:
Thanks for that Josep but the calls I hear a deeper and are in sets of 1 or 2 second durations but again I am not ruling a toad out. I actually heard it just after your last message when we had the TV on but when I stopped the TV to listen closer it stopped like it always does. I will get a recording somehow soon though.

There is a mega rare Thrush in the Tramuntana mountains but the finder will not release details of where it is. I don't understand why. Hundreds of people go into the mountains every weekend to walk, usually with children, but the maximum number of birders here who would go to see it would be about six people. That's a big twitch here. I would always respect finders wishes but unless the bird is on private land, I cannot think of a valid reason for withholding the information. All a bit frustrating. It's possibly an Eye-browsed Thrush. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back