• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (5 Viewers)

Today at Formentor viewpoint Alpine accentor, Blue rock thrush, Balearic warbler, Crag Martin, Black redstart and Sardinian warbler.
At Albufereta I watched an Osprey catch a fish. Great white egrets there and Booted eagle.
Highlights at Albufera were my first Yellow wagtail of the year, Kingfisher Grey wagtail, 8 Avocets and 4 Sandwich terms.

Tramuntana Visit

Lluc, Mortitx and surroundings.

Birds seen included 6 Ravens, 5 Black Vultures and 11 Griffon Vultures.

Other birds seen included Blue Rock Thrush, Crag Martins, Goldfinches, Thrushes, Serins, Sardinian Warbler, and several Wrens.

Interesting that wrens start to be very active.

Going through some photographs I took last year, in this case taken at Son Bosc on May 14th, I rediscover these photos of a lone lark that I had labeled as Thekla's at the time. A second look at Collins guide and internet sources, I wonder if it could possibly be a Crested Lark. Longer and thinner bill than Thekla's, higher crest. I have recently photographed Thekla's in my neighbour's field (identified by call) and I can see some notable difference.
Problem is there are no records in the 2014 or 2015 editions of the Balearic Bird Report which should in itself be a deterrent to ask but given the thorough response on the Chiffchaff, I thought I'd take advantage of anyone's input and learn something.
Thank you
Patrick

Attachments

• _I5A2526 - Copy.jpg
    _I5A2526 - Copy.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 79
  • _I5A2535 - Copy.jpg
    _I5A2535 - Copy.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 55
Hi Patrick. I hope you get a good response. The crest does indeed look more like Crested but I know of no accepted records of Crested Lark here in Mallorca, certainly not in my time.
The bill does look longer but as I understand it, Mallorca birds do have longer bills than elsewhere in Europe. The chest streaks look more Thekla to me, they are sometimes referred to as like a felt tip pen. I have also read somewhere about the projection of the first primary but I am getting out of my depth so I hope someone with more knowledge than me will comment. Good luck, an interesting bird. Mike

Hi Patrick,
I think it is a Thekla Lark, not very diferent than most of the theklas you can find in Majorca, maybe the crest is a little bit up, but it can be produced by wind.
Regards

Thank you Mike and Pep. I will keep the Thekla tag on these photos then.
I recall it was a bit windy that day which would indeed explain the crest but I thought the bill could be the more significant tell-tale for id. I suppose this not the first species to show local variations as Mike explained.
Below is one of the Theklas that threw me off, IDed by call as she and her friends visited my garden and neighbouring fields quite regularly over the summer. She is a bit scruffy and may not be representative of Thekla in general. The whitish rim on the greater coverts is absent on the previous bird too. Not sure what that means.
Anyway, thank you for your input.
Patrick

Attachments

• _A8A3342 - Copy.jpg
    _A8A3342 - Copy.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I had forgotten just how cute the young birds are. The first juveniles I saw were at the Cap de Ses Salines and at the time, I had no idea what they were. They are great birds to see. Mike

A few Crossbills and Firecrests at Son Real hide this afternoon but no sign of any Hawfinch. Barn Swallow flock (c30) feeding at the depuradora late afternoon had at least two Red-rumped with them.
Graham

Thanks Graham, February is a good month for Red-rumped Swallows. Bassa de can Guidet is normally one of the best places to see them and is well worth a visit at this time of the year. Mike

Afternoon visit to Maristany. Weather grey and overcast with rain drizzles.

Birds seen included: Red Kite, Marsh Harrier, Kestrals, Yellow legged and Black headed gulls, Pochard and Red Crested Pochards, Gadwall, Shoverlers, Little Grebes, Mallard, Coots, Moorhens.etc

Cetti warblers, Chiffchaff, grey and white wagtails, Robins, Thrushes, Blackcaps etc.

Mass of Crag Martins feeding like crazy and maybe one House Martin but not counting this..are they arriving yet Mike?

Hi Mike, yes, I would imagine that there are a few on the island at the moment although I have not had any confirmation. I see them every year about now or even earlier in some years. You have seen a couple of species today that I need for the BigYear. I will hopefully be free the end of next week. Will you and Kevin still be here? Mike

Today at Porto Colom. Balearic warbler, Thekla lark and 6 House martins flew in from the sea then headed north. In the harbour R.B.Merganser, Turnstone and Little egret

Hi Mike, yes, I would imagine that there are a few on the island at the moment although I have not had any confirmation. I see them every year about now or even earlier in some years. You have seen a couple of species today that I need for the BigYear. I will hopefully be free the end of next week. Will you and Kevin still be here? Mike

Hi Mike

Have vistors next week but free on Sat.4 th..Are you up North to find the coot??

Am heading to Mallorca Monday and staying in Port D'Alcudia. Any suggestions as to rare birds around? Missed out on spotless starlings and balearic Warbler last year.

PROBABLY using public transport but might hire car when out there!

Thanks everyone. I had forgotten just how cute the young birds are. The first juveniles I saw were at the Cap de Ses Salines and at the time, I had no idea what they were. They are great birds to see. Mike

Here is a really cute young Thekla - this was taken in June.

Attachments

• Thekla Lark_7005.jpg
    Thekla Lark_7005.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 61
A walk up the fishermans road ' pas del pescardors ' at Sant Vincente was very quiet - nice afternoon with little wind.
No balearic warblers seen or heard and only a few sardinian warblers seen.

A few blue rock thrushes but little else

Why so quiet?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back