• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (4 Viewers)

Adey Baker said:
Anyone seen the Yellow-winged Darters, yet? Any photos?

Yellow-winged? where? I feel a twitch coming on.

Incidently this was posted this morning on another forum :"I was in Boulogne yesterday on a day trip. Whilst I was there,I noticed many hundreds of butterflies, mainly fritillaries, heading north out across the Channel towards Britain"

I thought I'd join the thread as I finally managed to get out birding this weekend, first time in about a month...

Female red-necked phal at Titchwell for the last couple of days, sticking to the freshmarsh, showing distantly, but well enough.

Yesterday morning at Cley - 6 spoonbill, 3 green sand, 2 lrp, Med gull, a few yellow-legged gulls and pleanty of other stuff too... including loads of marsh harriers, seems they've had a good year there.

Hi Postie

good to hear you're getting a bit of free time again!

also a YW Darter at Hoe Rough

lots of nice waders on coast - try Snettisham or Titchwell. Plenty of Spot Reds yeaterday and lots of summer plum knots / Sanderlings knocking about

cheers to Dave Deboo, his long suffering wife and Pete Duxon for letting me look thru their scope at the phal, breaking the Titchwell code of hide silence, and keeping me entertained for an hour. Thanks for not mentioning my incompetence with tripods too Dave...

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
Thanks for not mentioning my incompetence with tripods too Dave...

Tim

Oh yes, forgot about that! Everyone should recognise you out birding....
Tim has an original 1875 model Manfrotto 'Bakolite and Balsa' Tripod.
It takes him so long to erect it (oooerr), that all the birds become extinct.

:)

dave...

p.s. where did you b****r off to? I went back to the shop to give you a mix cd.
Ah ha...just answered me own question! hahahaha

sorry Dave

didn't realise... you can bring it next time you're over, we'll exchange cds in the pub!

off to the YW Darter now... might see Petey D...

then home to Derbys and a day in Cumbria for a butterfly tick, filthy twitcher that i am...

back Thurs... keep the Norfolk pages tickin over peeps

Tim

YW Darter reported on Birdguides at Buxton Heath at 12:10 and another in Suffolk: Lowestoft; Yellow-winged Darter in the orchid meadow at Dunston Meadows, behind Tesco in Great Yarmouth Road

Hi,

can anyone tell me exactly where "Rush Hill" is? I think I saw it mentioned but it must have been in another thread relting to Norfolk.

You might think this a bit cheeky - if you do I understand - but could anyone PM me the site for the Monty's? Leaving for Burnham Deepdale early Wednesday.

thanks
Gordon

up the lane (Church Lane, not Marsh Rd) from potter heigham church Gordon, then where the lane takes a sharp left theres a footpath leading away to the right along the edge of a field. Next you'll take a left turn to go between 2 fields and then go over a stile and through the trees. At the 'T junction' turn right and you'll come to a hide after a while ... takes about 20 minutes to walk from the church (you'll have to ask someone else about parking though cos i dunno)

but having a look at OS 134 (Norwich & the Broads) may be easier than following those directions .... its at TG423 209

or if that makes no sense whatsoever gis a PM and i'll type something more out

its curious that I drove out of my way to find a black darter and a norfolk hawker but couldn't be arsed to drive 5 miles to Gilston ...

anyway Black Darters at Dersingham bog in pond. Nightjars showing very well previous night. midges a right git

Karl J said:
(you'll have to ask someone else about parking though cos i dunno)
Park on the grass triangle at Potter Heigham church - be aware that this is slightly sensitive on Sundays when there's a service there.

Had a bit of a look down at Breydon this morning... don't suppose it'll have them turning up by the bus-load but it was nice enough & these are what i reckoned on

Oystercatcher - 120
Avocet - 380
Black Tailed Godwit 330
Curlew - 250
whimbrel - 1
Golden Plover - 21

shelduck - 10
Little Egret - 4
Turnstones - 3
Ringed Plover - 7
Dunlin - 160
Redshank - 120?
Spotted Redshank - 2
Lapwings - 15
Shelduck - 10

Cormorants, gulls, Common & Sandwich Terns spread about too & 1 Sparrowhawk

Tide table here but add about 2 hours on - 1 allowing for the tide to run from Britannia Pier & 1 for GMT

And don't park in Asda for more than 3 hours* or your car will get a ticket (unless the pikeys get it first)

(* = doesn't apply to cyclists :king: )

Last edited:
at least 5 Yellow-winged Darters at Strumphaw

and a cracking Lesser-spotted Pecker

some nice plants including Bladderwort by the info centre

several Painted Ladys at Horsey, Silver Ys everywhere.... and a couple of unidentified darters. And a cracking pint in the Nelson's Head

Tim

In case it had passed people by there's been a pec sand at Titchwell for the last two days...

I saw it yesterday evening, not showing very well, but easy enough. Plenty of other stuff around too - wood sand, green sand, curlew sand, spotted redshank, garganey and med gull, along with all the usual stuff.

Last edited:
When i go to Norfolk i go to a place called Cley nature reserve it's near Weybourne and Sheringham.
I went there about 1 and a half years ago (been since though) and 2 bitters flew right in front of the hide in the space of 10 minutes the view was amazing you didn't need binoculars for that they were just to close for binoculars.

Also near Cley there is a place called east bank and that is a really good place to see Bearded tits. I heard them there, but i didn't seem them, mind you it was a little to windy for them. They hate the wind and stay covered in the bottom of the reeds even if there is a little bit of a breeze.

Another place to go is Titchwell nature reserve for the first time i saw bearded tits and that was in may 2006.
I also saw some spoonbills there as well when i was coming back from my holiday from Norfolk where i saw the bitterns i was telling you about.

Last edited:
Called into strumpshaw yesterday - got wet. Amazingly enough no yellow-winged darters! Did get two lovely swallowtails though. Saw Migrant,Southern, Ruddy, a single Emerald damselfly and one blue-tailed. I think that's the lowest dragonfly count I've ever managed there!
Green sands showing very well from the tree hide, as was a kingfisher that spent ages perched right in front of the hide. Smashing.

Loads of terns at Breydon currently, including two Roseates and hundreds of Sandwich. Many Meds there too

A good wader passage has started, been out a few times this week and seen lots of Ruff, Spot Reds, Dunlins, Green Sands, Whimbrels on the move, along with Pec. Sand at Titchwell, Buff-breasted recently at Hickling and the odd Wood Sand here and there.

Was a report of a adult Roseate Tern at Cley this morning... described to me as having a white forehead and shortish all-black bill... sounded a bit like a young Arctic? Anyone got details?

went to minsmere tues very dry so no waders ,all 4 terns about tho,common,sandwich,little ,arctic,and rosys.-early mornings only for rosys tho
also several views of bitterns flying, probably due to 9 nests this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back