• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagles in El Pardo Reserve, Madrid, Spain (1 Viewer)

Lynx21

Hey there,

I took these pictures just over a week ago at the El Pardo reserve, just north of Madrid. I understand that these aren't the best pictures in terms of colour, and have adjusted the exposure on the last image to try and highlight the colour a little more.

I believe the 2nd and 3rd pictures to be of a Spanish Imperial Eagle, and the first to possibly be a Golden Eagle?

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• Eagle Sp.2.JPG
    Eagle Sp.2.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 188
  • Eagle Species.JPG
    Eagle Species.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 177
  • Eagle Species2.JPG
    Eagle Species2.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 167
First one is a Black Vulture (AKA Cinereous or Monk Vulture, if you feel like it. Sorry Don Quijote) - broad wings, many "fingers", "saw-toothed" secondaries, very short tail, pale feet, relatively uniform plumage fit very well for that species. I've been told Golden Eagle are rare at El Pardo, anyway (I did see a dodgy far-off eagle there that may have been one, but couldn't verify).
I agree on the other two.

Last edited:
I agree - 1st is Black Vulture showing diagnostic shape and pale feet. The other bird is an older imm. Spanish Imperial - I'm assuming its the same bird on both photos - looking like 4th cal. yr.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back