• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBW Alive (1 Viewer)

More about Davis 1978 including a species name not in the Key:
Davis, L. Irby
1978a. Acoustic evidence of relationship in potoos. Pan American Studies, 1 (1): 4-21. [Published by the Pan American Field Students Association, Austin, Texas]
1978b. Acoustic evidence of relationship in Caprimulginae. Pan American Studies, 1 (1): 22-57. [Published by the Pan American Field Students Association, Austin, Texas]
1978c. Acoustic evidence of relationship in antthrushes. Pan American Studies, 1 (2): 3-28. [Published by the Pan American Field Students Association, Austin, Texas]
1978d. The poorwills. Pan American Studies, 1 (2): 29-33. [Published by the Pan American Field Students Association, Austin, Texas]
Published privately …”c/o L. Irby Davis, 2562 Keating Lane, Austin, TX. 78703”
Davis, L.I. 1978. Nyctisyrigimis kwalensis sp. nov. (v. 1. ?p. 2) Pan American Studies.

Mark,
Thanks for Davis references and kwalensis (duly entered in the Key). 'Nandu' is used as a substantive only by Vieillot and Lesson, both of whom otherwise give the genus as Rhea. I am beginning to draw the conclusion that 'Nandou' similarly was used in a substantive sense only.
James

"Division" was used as a general term, and could mean group or genus. Under that heading the French authors would give both a substantive name (Nandu) and a generic equivalent (Rhea).

Vuilleumier, Mayr & LeCroy 1992 call both kwalensis and Allasma nomen nudum.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/41907879#page/308/mode/1up .
Citation is Pan American Studies 1 (2) 47.
"He (Davis) proposed three new genera of Caprimulgidae: Allasma (type species Caprimulgus clarus); Diaphorasma (type species Caprimulgus donaldsoni) and Annamornus (type species Caprimulgus rufus), and he also resurrected several genera that have long been synonymised with Caprimulgus, i.e. Antrostomus, Setochalcis Systellura and Setopagis. Two potoos, Nyctibius abbotti and Nyctibius cornutus, were considered to be valid species..." Cleere 2010 Nightjars.

Last edited:
And James, what about the earlier "Diagnosis not yet seen" ... with no reference:
[...]
Platyrhynchus (syn. Megarynchus Ϯ Boat-billed Flycatcher M. pitangua)
... versus the entry in the updated Key, based on "(von Spix 1825)".

Could this possibly be it; Histoire naturelle des tangaras, des manakins et des todiers, by Desmarest 1805 (here + Plate); "un nouveau genre d'oiseaux"; Platyrhinchus (in text) ... ?

Also see here from 1826. Or this "Platyrhynchus Pitangua", found in an Auction catalogue, from 1828 (however no indication of it there being presented as a new Generic name), here. Also see "Platyrhynchus" here (by Swainson 1838).

This said without fully understanding what you're looking for.

For what its worth, if of any use?

Björn
--

Last edited:
Thanks, Björn. Even tho' it was not introduced as a new genus Brookes referred to a totally different species, and that was the reference I had been seeking (but couldn't remember where I had seen it!) I have now included it just for completeness. The Desmarest reference is that of Platyrinchus.

Thanks, Björn. Even tho' it was not introduced as a new genus Brookes referred to a totally different species, and that was the reference I had been seeking (but couldn't remember where I had seen it!) I have now included it just for completeness. The Desmarest reference is that of Platyrinchus.
I think the source for this use of the name is Temminck, in Nouveau Recueil de Planches coloriées, actually.
First [here], where he included in the genus "Platyrhynchos Desmarest" the "Bentaveo ou tyran du Brésil, planche 212" -- that is: [this].
Then in the Tableau méthodique [here], where he used the name Platyrhynchus pitangua for the same bird.

But he obviously never intended it as a new generic name, as he attributed the name consistently to Desmarest.

Cf.
Thunberg & Schærström 1824 [here] (see on p.2; this is the OD of Megarynchus Thunberg, now used for pitangua Linnaeus);
Heine 1859 [here];
Cabanis & Heine 1859 [here];
Gray 1869 [here];
etc.

Last edited:
Cardeos Verheyen, 1956, Bulletin de l'Institut Royal des Sciences Naturelles de Belgique, 32 (55), 1-54.
It's on p.47:
Cardeos gen. nov. (C. cardinalis : plumage entièrement rouge; queue longue et étagée; bec partiellement coloré, en partie noire; peau à la base de la mandibule inférieure, dénudée).
(See attached Google snippet, from [here].)

Attachments

• Cardeos.png
    Cardeos.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 39
PS/Update: I have located (but not yet seen):
[...]
Enendrozdovoma Kashin, 1978, [Comments on Peters's Checklist of Birds of the World] in Sudilovskaya & Flint (eds.), Research of the Fauna of the Soviet Union. Birds and Reptiles, 164-176

I think (this said without understanding Russian, nor having found an open link) that the full title of the book where Kashin's Enendrozdovoma is (still) to found is (like the above); in Sudilovskaya, A.M. & Flint, V.E. (Eds.). 1978. Research of the fauna of the Soviet Union. Birds and reptiles a k a "Issledovaniya po faune Sovetskogo Soyuza" (Moscow University, Moscow, Russia) alt. (the longer, truly Russian, version) Птицы и пресмыкающиеся: Исследования по фауне Советского Союза (as of here, but only with the cover)

If of any help?

/B

● White-headed Black-Chat or Ruaha Chat Myrmecocichla arnotti* TRISTRAM 1869 as "Saxicola arnotti" (OD here + Plate on the following page) a k a either Arnot's - alt. Arnott's (Black-) Chat

Among the species before me there are four which, so far as I am aware, are new and undescribed. The first of these (of which a figure is given) I propose to name after its discoverer, Mr. Arnott, and subjoin its description.

SAXICOLA ARNOTTI sp. nov. (Plate VI.)

If his name surname truly was Arnot or Arnott is all unknown to me. Nor do I know of his professional experience/title. Either way, he's not checked in any depth, by me (i.e. not one of "my guys").

But I agree with Melanie on the birth; 26 June 1821 looks trustworthy. For what it´s worth!

Cheers!

Björn
___________________________________________________________________________________
*Not arnoti, as claimed in the entry for Mr "Arnot", in Biographical Database of Southern African Science.
Apparently they had no proofreader for this text, making it slightly less reliable ...
--

Last edited:
Melanie,
In Charles Clinning's Southern African Bird Names explained (Southern African Ornithological Society, 1989) we find the following (on pp.141-142):
arnoti........Arnot's Chat
David Arnot (1821-1894)
Born at Uitenhage in the eastern Cape, he was later an attorney at Colesberg, and was involved in the controversy over the territory of the Griqua chief Nikolaas Waterboer, the so-called 'Phillips Lands' on the diamond fields in the northern Cape, where he was accused of unscrupulous behavior.
That´s all ... for whatever it´s worth.

To my experience Clinning's book are normally adequate, especially when dealing with South Afrian locals.

However; enjoy!

Björn
--

Last edited:
Hockey et al. (eds.), 2005, Roberts Birds of Southern Africa, VIIth edn., p. 957, has, "Arnot's Chat Myrmecocichla arnoti ... Named after David Arnot, an attorney at Colesberg, who contributed fossil reptiles, mammals, birds and insects to the South African Museum. Spelling of arnotti corrected to arnoti by Winterhouse & Skead, 1965, Ostrich 36: 147."

Last edited:
Hockey et al. (eds.), 2005, Roberts Birds of Southern Africa, VIIth edn., p. 957, has, "Arnot's Chat Myrmecocichla arnoti ... Named after David Arnot, an attorney at Colesberg, who contributed fossil reptiles, mammals, birds and insects to the South African Museum. Spelling of arnotti corrected to arnoti by Winterhouse & Skead, 1965, Ostrich 36: 147."

Winterhouse (sic) & Skead (1965) in full:

On the Correct Spelling of Saxicola arnotti Tristram, 1869​
Tristram, in describing this species, now usually known as Thamnolaea arnotti (Tristram), named it after its discoverer. This was David Arnot, law agent and advisor to the Griqua Chief N. Waterboer. It is clear, therefore, that Tristram misspelt Arnot’s name and Saxicola arnotti is a lapsus calami for Saxicola arnoti. The specific name should be corrected accordingly.
J. M. Winterbottom.
C. J. Skead.
Percy FitzPatrick Institute of African Ornithology.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back