• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Flamingo - status in Spain ? (1 Viewer)

Robin Edwards

Just out of interest - does anyone know the agreed status of Lesser Flamingo in Spain or anywhere else in Europe come to that.

I've got photographs of un-ringed individuals in Cordaba province and have always just assumed them to be escapees that have tagged up with the breeding population of Greater Flamingo.

Cheers
Robin

Lesser Flamingo now turn up annually (and have even bred) in Spain. Like several other African species (eg Ruppell's Vulture) initially it was generally assumed that they were all escapes. However, a realisation that a) they were a lot more regular than people supposed and b) "alien" species get mixed up with groups of regular trans-Saharan migrants and follow them north has meant that they are now more often thought of as genuine visitors. To get some idea of how regular they are look at the rare Birds in Spain webpage (easily googled), John

Actually I also meant to ask where in Cordoba province? Laguna de Fuente de Piedra (just over the border in Malaga province), where they bred, can't be too far away!

John

I saw one at Fuente de Piedra in March 2004.

When I was there this February there wasn't even any water to speak of.

Attachments

• Lesser Flamingo 05 bf.jpg
    Lesser Flamingo 05 bf.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 120
This one was at Fuente de Piedra in April 2006 amongst the thosands of Greaters.

Thanks for the info

Regards
Robin

Attachments

• LesserFlamingo2a_250406.jpg
    LesserFlamingo2a_250406.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 94
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back