• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus 'upgrade' - UZI to 750.... (1 Viewer)

advid

....I've only just joined Birdforum but just want to let anyone
that is using an Olympus c2100 (UZI) contemplating the purchase of a c750uz (4 meg - 10x zoom)... I've waited over 6 weeks (UK) for my 750 and altho' its a nice little camera that takes really good quality pics (when it gets it right..) I find it has a few problems (particularly for birders)....
1) The zoom/in-out takes about 1.5 seconds to react.. (slower than my UZI)
2) sometimes it just will not lock on to the subject at high zoom (sometime it takes 2 or three (half) presses of the shutter to lock - - sometimes it just won't focus at all - very frustrating) My UZI had very little of this problem...
In the fast world of 'birding' - it's perhaps not the best/fastest reacting camera for this type of photography...
I want a camera that :-
(a) zooms in/out quickly to frame the shot
(b) focus locks on to my subject
(c) takes a good pic...

With the 750 - (a) and (b) are not so good...
when (a) and (b) do what they should (c) is exemplary

I was going to sell off my UZI - Not any more - i'll keep it 'til the day it dies on me.......

It always pays to do a fair amount of research before parting with your money.... The majority of those who use the 2100 wouldn't consider the 7** series an upgrade, though the lack of I.S. is usually regarded as the main reason to keep to the uzi.
Nice to see another BF member in Watford.... considering it's a town of 90,000, there's only one or two other BF members from here.
Good luck with the camera/s
Andy

reply to Andy....

I'm really just a keen allround photographer (birding is only just beginning to develop)... I wanted a good versatile camera for my wife to use... For my own 'serious' stuff i've got an Olympus E10 (focus /speed /quality is superb) - the UZI was/is for 'everyday' pics...
I thought the 750 would be ideal as a replacement for the UZI....

Don't get me wrong tho'.... I've only had the 750 a few days and under 'normal' - fairly bright daylight conditions for 'normal' photography (scenes/people/views/holidays etc) it is a real nice 'pocketable' camera.... for Birding - - - - - perhaps not !!!

I only spend a little of my photgraphic time actually birding - the rest is taking other stuff (as above) and Photoshopping(PS7) and printing (Canon s9000 (A3+) - Canon S950 (A4) - Epson 1200 (A3+).....

750 .... now for the good news....

...since trying out my new Oly 750uz on bird pics I've been using it set to multiple shot mode that enables about about 1.5 to 2 pics a second (depending of quality setting).... I've now been trying it out in single shot mode with sparrows/starlings in the back garden AND SINGLE SHOT MODE is much better for freezing the action because - unlike some Olympus cameras - It will not take a picture unless it is in focus....

Previously I had been carefully framing and waiting for that little green light in the top of the viewfinder to stop flashing (it doesn't beep by the way - all other Olympus cameras I've owned have beeped when the green light was steady) - them pressing the viewfinder fully home and taking several pics in a couple of seconds....

....BUT in single shot mode - frame your shot then when that 'magic moment' arrives just press the shutter all the way home - don't wait or even bother with the green light BEACUSE the camera won't take a pic unless it is in focus... (other Olympus cameras c3030 that i've used would take a pic when the shutter button was pressed fully EVEN when the green light was flashing - it presumed you wanted an out of focus shot) - There is obviously a bit of 'shutter lag' while the camera does it's thing but of the 50 or so pics i've just taken about 40 are passable and IN FOCUS using this single shot 'impatient' mode...

As i've previously stated - it's a bit slow when zooming in and out but once you got a shot reasonably framed then that's no bother... just wait for that magic moment to arrive and providing it's got enough light for the focussing to do its thing - you'll get a quality 4meg 10x zoom masterpiece :)

Advid, thanks for the "now for the good news" as I have a 750UZ on order! I was begining to have a heart attack then! It will be my first digital camera.

H

750 again.... it's not all good

...... just another follow up to the Oly 750 camera...

... this morning I recieved in the post a CLA4 adapter tube which allowed me to put my B300 1.7 converter lens onto the 750...

....this lens addition seems to slow the focus down yet again.... even worse - it just won't focus ( perhaps 1 in 10) of starlings in my back garden about 12/15 feet away on the clothes line on a 'birdball' ((I 've tried in normal and macro at this distance).... Obviously - It's a constant distance and should present no problems.... my e10 and 2100 just lock on with no trouble - the 750 just keeps flashing that green light.....

(NOTE - the green focussing light is right at the top left of the viewfinder and if you wear specs like I do - you cant see it - WHY didn't Olympus give us the usual in focus 'BEEP ' sound with this camera so at least we could hear when it's focussed ? )

.... absolutely the most frustrating camera both film or digital I've ever used...

digital cameras - I've had (Oly c1400L / C2000 / c3030 / c2100uz / e10)

When it gets it right it produces a beautiful picture but for 'birders' I think personally it's a no go camera ...

There's nothing faulty with this camera - it works - but honestly folks - If I could get my money back on it I would ......

Last edited:
i have a 750 UZ i think its great .... yeak ok its a little bit slow on the zoon ..but the pics are fine ..this is not a fault with the camers .. maybe just the people behind the lens.just set uo your shot , i think this camera is purpose built for the wildlife photographer, everyone seems to think you point a camera something and itll give you the perfect shot!! This is not true you have to be patient with your subject. As far as im concerned the c750UZ is wonderful.

reply to midas....

.... I don't wanna' start a slanging match about cameras but if you've ever used an Olympus e10 (or even a good old UZI) that focuses on anything in an instant you'll realise how slow and irritating the focussing can be on the 750....

...the main purpose of ANY camera is to be able to quickly frame your shot - focus quickly and shoot.....

..the other day I had a nice butterfly in my greenhouse... got the new 750 (I thought this would be a good opportunity to try it in a few close-up shots)
...Switch on - .... Macro mode - frame / aim /focus / NO /focus / NO /focus / focus again / NO / NO / NO --
..Switch to 'normal' no macro mode - focus/NO/ - focus/NO/ - focus/NO/ NO/ NO.....
.....Damn !!!!!

...Quickly got my e10 and - WHAM - 6 shots in about 30 seconds - all focused first time .... that's why I describe the 750 as above in my previous comments....

it's a nice little camera but for birding /wildlife / action... No/No/NO

Oly 750uz ... UPDATE

... just to let everyone on here know that I 've sold my Olympus 750 (just too frustrating to use for me and my wife) ... i've now got a CLA4 adapter tube / an Olympus soft leather case for 7xx cameras and a 128 meg xD card going spare - CLA4 £15(£22-00 new) - Case £ 15 (£32 new) and 128meg xD card £15 (£28-00 new)

reply if anyone is interested..... will sell items individually (you pay post)....

advid said:
.... I don't wanna' start a slanging match about cameras but if you've ever used an Olympus e10 (or even a good old UZI) that focuses on anything in an instant you'll realise how slow and irritating the focussing can be on the 750....

...the main purpose of ANY camera is to be able to quickly frame your shot - focus quickly and shoot.....

..the other day I had a nice butterfly in my greenhouse... got the new 750 (I thought this would be a good opportunity to try it in a few close-up shots)
...Switch on - .... Macro mode - frame / aim /focus / NO /focus / NO /focus / focus again / NO / NO / NO --
..Switch to 'normal' no macro mode - focus/NO/ - focus/NO/ - focus/NO/ NO/ NO.....
.....Damn !!!!!

...Quickly got my e10 and - WHAM - 6 shots in about 30 seconds - all focused first time .... that's why I describe the 750 as above in my previous comments....

it's a nice little camera but for birding /wildlife / action... No/No/NO

Olympus 'UPGRADE' UZI to 750 to 300D and back again..

I was going to sell off my UZI - Not any more - i'll keep it 'til the day it dies on me.......

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

... just to imform Olympus 2100 fans on here a bit more news about my agonising attempts to 'go one better' than the good old UZI for birding....

I returned my Olympus c750 (follow this entire story) and the dealer gave me a good p/ex price on a Canon 300D... I brought a Canon 75-300mmm lens as well giving me (with the Canon 1.6 x factor) a 480mm lens at max zoom with 6 meg ....

Do you know what -the Olympus 2100 still gets better pictures than the Canon...

The Canon wants lots of light and unless you pay £1000 for a top quality lens then my pictures all come out underexposed.... you need at least 1/350 sec shutter speed for birds and you just can't get enough light at this speed in the UK (grey days) at this time of year... maybe the brighter coming days of spring/summer will improve things....

The Canon is OK for 'everyday' pics but unless you want to pay out another £1000 for a 'quality ''L'' zoom lens) then don't go there for birding.... (unless you think £2000 is about right)

The Panasonic FZ10 with 12x zoom and 4 meg should be coming to the UK soon - that's where i'm gonna' go..... I'd rather do that than 'waste' more money on the Canon...

Meanwhile the good old UZI keeps getting the shots - it may be a bit slow and sluggish and a bit 'undermegged' by todays standards but boy - does it work well...... a real 'classic' camera......

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back