• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (4 Viewers)

Warm enough (in the sun at least) to drink my coffee outside after lunch, enabling me to see the local pair circling around together over their breeding site a few kms away:

26 Golden Eagle

Interesting to see a Common Kestrel is wintering this year, it's usually end of March/early April before they reappear, a combination of little snow and an explosion in the vole population explains that perhaps.

Blue sky this am for a change! A purple patch lasting just a couple of minutes yielded flyover Canada Geese (2), drake Mallard, Legret, Common Buzzard and 2 tumbling and sparring Goldcrest puts me on (to inc.FP) 32 so far. On the down side I’ve never got this far into the Winter before without Siskin or Redpoll, still awaiting Fieldfare and Redwing....Oh for a cold snap!

Persistent blood-curdling screeching at dawn this morning had me thinking maybe a punch-up between the Tawny Owl and a Buzzard was taking place, but on peering down onto the road I find that it's the demise of another Blackbird, not the pesky cats this time but a proud (and noisy!)

27 Sparrowhawk

making the racket. I thought I heard a Fieldfare chack chack in the distance but I'm not 100% sure, so that'll have to wait.
Siskin, do they still exist?;) I think Wari and Jos need to own up, they're keeping them up north I suspect.

January 4th.

Another two hour session added a few more:

28. Rook
29. Cormorant - one flying over
30. Raven - two flying over half-displaying
31. Wren

Steve

After four days with little time at home, I sit at 19 but including Little Egret & Peregrine which are two of my better regular species:-

1 Carrion Crow 01 Jan 2020
2 Blackbird 01 Jan 2020
3 Robin 01 Jan 2020
4 Feral Pigeon 02 Jan 2020
5 Woodpigeon 02 Jan 2020
6 Black-headed Gull 02 Jan 2020
7 Herring Gull 02 Jan 2020
8 Magpie 02 Jan 2020
9 Jackdaw 02 Jan 2020
10 Blue Tit 02 Jan 2020
11 Starling 02 Jan 2020
12 Mallard 03 Jan 2020
13 Moorhen 03 Jan 2020
14 Little Egret 03 Jan 2020
15 House Sparrow 03 Jan 2020
16 Chaffinch 03 Jan 2020
17 Goldfinch 03 Jan 2020
18 Peregrine 04 Jan 2020
19 Cormorant 04 Jan 2020

All the best

Last night (early evening), 3 Mandarin over, today so far 3 GBBGulls over also a single Cormorant and a solitary Redwing...no.36.

January 5th.

A three hour session this morning yielded 30 species of which three are new, plus I realise now I missed one out on the 1st/2nd.

33. Little Egret
34. GBB Gull
35. Buzzard

Unfortunately the two Blackcaps from last month seem to have cleared off.

Steve

Siskin, do they still exist?;) I think Wari and Jos need to own up, they're keeping them up north I suspect.

Yeah, we hold them here... and a lot of them too.

I noticed we have same kind of conditions here than you have on Alps: Warm, no snow, but plenty of voles and even few Kestrels (not in my garden thought).

Few additions nevertheless:

#15. Coal Tit - one individual keep coming feeders almost daily.
#16. Bullfinch
#17. Raven
- one fly over
#18. Hawfinch - :D I found it this time in the flock of c. 200 Fieldfares, when looking for Redwings or Pine Grosbeak (which I didn't find).
#19. Sparrowhawk - which ceased my viewing of previous species by driving them out of my sight

Yeah, we hold them here... and a lot of them too.

I noticed we have same kind of conditions here than you have on Alps: Warm, no snow, but plenty of voles and even few Kestrels (not in my garden thought).

Few additions nevertheless:

#15. Coal Tit - one individual keep coming feeders almost daily.
#16. Bullfinch
#17. Raven
- one fly over
#18. Hawfinch - :D I found it this time in the flock of c. 200 Fieldfares, when looking for Redwings or Pine Grosbeak (which I didn't find).
#19. Sparrowhawk - which ceased my viewing of previous species by driving them out of my sight
Good stuff Wari! Here it's becoming a war between me and neighbours' cat, more feathers in front of the house as he ran away from me this morning, probably another Blackbird gone. Best observation today was three adult Golden Eagles turning in the sky not far away at midday (maybe they could help with this cat problem:t:).
No new species to add, though a Grey Wagtail between us and the village yesterday was interesting, I saw none from the House/garden last year......

Jan 1st, started with:
1) Black-capped Chickadee
2) European Starling
3) House Finch
4) Lesser Goldfinch
5) American Goldfinch
6) Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon)
7) Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's)

Jan 4th, added:
8) Canada Goose
9) Downy Woodpecker
10) Northern Flicker (Red-shafted)
11) Ruby-crowned Kinglet
12) Red-breasted Nuthatch
13) American Robin
14) Ceder Waxwing

Jan 5th, added:
15) Cooper's Hawk

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back