• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (3 Viewers)

I visited Coney Meadow earlier. Very muddy! :eek!:
Happy to see a Mistle Thrush nice and close along the canal.
I didn't see any open water within the meadow at all. Is there access to the reserve except the path that runs parallel to the canal towpath?

Not much open water left in Coney Meadow, itself - just the small pool in the eastern section. An area which was opened up in front of the old screen has now been encroached. There are several areas of open water further down the Salwarpe valley plus areas that are subject to seasonal flooding - these are always worth checking out - let me know if you are interested and I will post a map / maps.

With regard to footpaths, it is recommended to keep to the ones you highlight - especially during the breeding season. At this time of year, however, disturbance is less of an issue if you do wander off them.

Not much open water left in Coney Meadow, itself - just the small pool in the eastern section. An area which was opened up in front of the old screen has now been encroached. There are several areas of open water further down the Salwarpe valley plus areas that are subject to seasonal flooding - these are always worth checking out - let me know if you are interested and I will post a map / maps.

Thanks. There's no need to post maps, but thank you for the offer. I'll pop back when warblers are about!

With regard to footpaths, it is recommended to keep to the ones you highlight - especially during the breeding season. At this time of year, however, disturbance is less of an issue if you do wander off them.

Noted. Thank you.

A Woodcock seen in flight at dusk this evening from the canal towpath - it flew over the field at the back of Salwarpe Court.

At least seven Snipes flew out of Coney reedbed.

Cetti's and Water Rails calling from the reedbed.

Tawny Owls calling around Salwarpe and Droitwich Woods.

Decent flock of Chaffiches in trees around Salwarpe - 25+.

Singing Mistle Thrush.

Woodcock again this evening flew along the canal towards Salwarpe village at 17:20 - I was standing by the picnic bench opposite the entrance to Coney and had pretty good silhouette views as it flew directly overhead.

19 Greylags flew over Coney at dusk.

Calling Tawny Owl plus several Snipe.

A male Lapwing flew high over Tapenhall towards Hawford late morning.

Pleasant, spring-like conditions on Friday and Sunday made it far more enjoyable.

Skylarks becoming territorial
4+ Yellowhammers near Knight's Grove - one was singing.
Large flock of Fieldfares near Salwarpe (c300) plus more elsewhere
30+ Meadow Pipits near Hawford
3 Grey Wagtails chasing each other around near Ladywood

Cormorants, Kestrels, Sparrowhawks, Buzzards, Ravens, Goldcrests, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Redwings, Linnets, Canada Geese, RL Partridges, Stock Doves, Mute Swans, reed Buntings, etc.

67 species recorded by me so far this year.

Woodcock again this evening following the same pattern of behaviour as last week.

Two Peregrines around Coney this evening - one had a go at the Starling flock.

Five Snipes flew out of the reedbed at dusk.

Cetti's Warbler and Water Rails calling.

Little Owl calling between Salwarpe and Ladywood on Friday.

Female Blackcap showing well and at least one male sub-singing between Ladywood and Salwarpe on Friday. A female near Hawford lock this morning

Two Coots on Tapenhall pool.

Other species recorded this weekend included Mistle Thrush, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Grey Heron, Cormorant, Goldcrest, Nuthatch, Coal Tit, winter Thrushes, Kestrels, Sparrowhawks, Buzzards, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Reed Bunting.

My first ever Woodcock this evening a very brief encounter ,while waiting by the picnic bench next to the canal the bird flew so close it was nearly missed it must of been flying low to the water seen me and then flew up, in doing so making it self visable against the sky line before carrying on its fight towards Salwarpe. Thanks Dave for all the info.

Nice one Tim!

Other news from the weekend:

Tawny owl calling around Salwarpe church yesterday evening.
Water Rails called from Coney reedbed.
Yellowhammer and plenty of Skylarks around Knight's Grove.
Decent flock of Linnets (50+) around Mayhouse farm fields
Grey Wagtails
2 Coots on Tapenhall Pool
plenty of Meadow Pipits around Tapenhall and Hawford areas

Canada Geese, Cormorants, Reed Buntings, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Nuthatch, Coal Tits,
Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Ravens, Goldcrests, etc.

yesterdays report .Standing by the picnic bench F,P heard cettis warbler, plenty of song thrush, plus Water Rail calling. Woodcock flew directly over our heads at 17.51 (did video did catch bird flying but could not id as clear as seen)
Today stood at the bottom of the church path looking down the canal. Tawny Owls called from somewhere in the village,5 Herring gulls flying westwood way,Wren and Pheasant calling. Woodcock 17.56 flew reed high over bench area, half way towards me turned right, over the garden behind the trees gaining height looked like it was heading over the trees over the war memorial .

There's a real challenge for the keen 'togs' out there:

Although it regularly flies the same route, the Woodcock flies at variable height in poor (or very poor) light and you get a maximum of about 5 seconds to nail it!

Good luck to anyone who tries o:D

Woodcock flew pass at 17.59 tonight best showing so far alittle higher above the reeds on approach to the bench,managed to catch it on video again still not clear enough compared to seeing. Tawny calling from church wood as we left.

Woodcock again a few seconds before the six o'clock bells rang from the Church.

11 Greylags earlier.
Probably 2 Cetti's on site.
Water Rails and Snipe.

The Woodcock appeared at c17:55 and flew around the back of Salwarpe Court again.

A Peregrine attacked the starling flock and a small explosion of feathers suggest it hit one of them although I don't think it was successful. This may have been the same Peregrine that was perched on a Pylon near Salwarpe earlier yesterday morning. A peregrine also flew over Hawford on Saturday.

A Little Owl showed well in the Oak tree in Linacres horse paddocks on Saturday morning.

Tawny Owls calling around Droitwich Community Woods.

4+ Yellowhammers along Sinton Lane on Friday and 2 around Chatley also on Friday/Saturday.

A Siskin flew over Hawford on Saturday - they are scarce on the patch at the moment.

2 Coots still on Tapenhall Pool.

A Blackcap in virtual full song near Salwarpe on Friday and showing well yesterday. Other singing birds include Blackbird, Song Thrush, Chaffinch, Dunnock and Mistle Thrush.

Other species seen include lots of Skylarks, 30+ Linnets, Grey Wagtails, Cormorants, Goldcrests, Nuthatches, winter Thrushes, Ravens, Meadow Pipits, Reed Buntings, Grey Herons, etc.

Good views of a Brown Hare at Knight's Grove and a dead Roe Deer at Harford Hill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back