• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High speed birding (1 Viewer)

longbow

This morning I had to take a trip to a small city 100 miles south of us for a Doc's appt. From the car, there and back, I saw:

Red-tailed hawk
Bald eagle
Osprey
Magpie
Heaps of lbj's
Pair of mourning doves
Vulture
Dozens of canada geese.

I live in great country.:king:

Isn't it nice, you can see birds everywhere, no matter what you're up to. Is a bit more true in the US though than where I am currently, so it's good to appreciate it!

Tnx for the huzzah Gretchen, as you say, one can do a lot of birding without "going birding." Hope your numbers of avian fauna pick up for you soon over there. Have seen pics of some pretty spectacular birds carrying the red flag, over in the gallery.

I'd say that unless you're good at jizz then identifying LBJs from a moving car would not be that easy for the most part.

Pretty cool set of birds to see longbow. :t:

Sorry stonechat, I'll try to be more careful about using colloquial English in future. And thanks for the translation, Gretchen.

I was on a discussion board a few years ago frequented by a lot of non-native English speakers and wrote a long post using Appalachian-style vernacular. Some got it and found it amusing, others not so much. A couple got absolutely irate. I had forgotten about that. Will try to do better here henceforth.

I think forums are much better for the use of colloquialisms really, I like hearing how other people describe things and if you don't understand a term it's easy enough just to ask what it means. I wouldn't worry over-much about it, internet forums are full of people not understanding each other anyway. ;)

How many lbjs did you see?

heaps, oodles, gobs, bags, masses, tons, a bunch, scads...

much more expressive than 'a lot'. :t:

I like hearing how other people describe things and if you don't understand a term it's easy enough just to ask what it means.

Yeah, I've learned so much language since joining here! I think I can understand (if not speak) heaps more "British" |:D| (for example: grip, snap, gen, suss, dodgy and many more)

Sorry stonechat, I'll try to be more careful about using colloquial English in future. And thanks for the translation, Gretchen.
[...]

Don´t worry, longbow!
It´s allways some help around in the forums who translate abbreviations for me ;)
As non native english speaker it´s somtetimes hard to know what one means, guys also use to shorten bird names and so I didn´t knew is lbj a bird name or something else.

one thing I love about Birdforum is how international it really is - and I'm glad to see non-native speakers of English participating. I remember when I moved to France, some of the abbreviations for the birds are just confusing - MLQ, RQN, FTN. (Mésange à longue queue, rougequeue noir, fauvette à tête noire) (Long-tailed Tit, Black Redstart, Blackcap).

I'm glad to see that people also ask if they're not sure, plenty of people who are willing to help.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back