• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Red-throated Pipit? (1 Viewer)

Houbara2

A bird I photographed on Lizard Point on 8th Jan has been tentatively identified as Red-throated, but views welcomed. Right side of face is aberrant due to a tick. White below with strong black streaking, rather dark on mantle with thin white lines, wing bars white. Sadly, it did not call. No further sign of the bird since, despite much searching. 2 Richard's Pipits nearby much more obliging.

Attachments

• DSC_0250 (3).jpg
    DSC_0250 (3).jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 388
  • DSC_0258 (3).jpg
    DSC_0258 (3).jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC_0274 (3).JPG
    DSC_0274 (3).JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 303
  • DSC_0242 (3).jpg
    DSC_0242 (3).jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 257
FWIW I've seen a group of RTP's on Cyprus during early April, most with classic heavily contrasting white braces, rufous tints to head and breast, also amongst the group,1st Winter birds not as well marked as this appears to be! I note that it also appears to have red tint to throat, flanks and head?

Cheers

Last edited:
lack of nape streaking or any buff in breast plus bill shape seem to rule out pechora. Overall "black and white" appearance with white unders same all way up flanks and red center to throat all point to you being correct. A great find.
Congratulations, Howard

Isn't the upper tail/rump a bit plain for Red-throated? Wouldn't we be seeing dark centred feathers with browner edges? Or are people putting this down to poor image resolution?

lack of nape streaking or any buff in breast plus bill shape seem to rule out pechora. Overall "black and white" appearance with white unders same all way up flanks and red center to throat all point to you being correct. A great find.
Congratulations, Howard

I would take very little notice of the red (more like orange) tint to the throat feathers of this individual. Northern Meadow Pipits can be very orange on the throat and breast in early spring.

Last edited:
This is the link to the bird in North Wales in 2010 that caused confusion with RT Pipit but was eventually identified as ’whistleri’ race Meadow Pipit... being streakier and darker and with orange tones to the throat/chest. Worth comparing with this bird. Without call always going to be difficult with these ‘extreme’ Meadow Pipits lurking out there...
Personally though, if I was seeing this bird I would be thinking RT Pipit even though rump is difficult to see clearly... are there a few darker feathers there? Oh for a call ;-)

http://greatormebirds.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/more-mist-rain-and-northerlies.html?m=1

Congratulations, Howard

Thanks Howard. Pechora also ruled out on lack of primary projection. Choice is clearly between Red-throated and Meadow.

Meadow Pipit for me. Lack of streaking on rump, lack of white braces on mantle, neat clump of streaking on breast front, orange (not red) throat, all suggest Meadow Pipit - which is also more likely in January, than Red-throated Pipit.

Meadow Pipit for me. Lack of streaking on rump, lack of white braces on mantle, neat clump of streaking on breast front, orange (not red) throat, all suggest Meadow Pipit - which is also more likely in January, than Red-throated Pipit.

I would agree that what can be seen of the rump does seem to suggest Meadow.

..... which is also more likely in January, than Red-throated Pipit.

I can't decide with the pictures, the bird does invoke RTP somehow (ignoring orange/red tones) but MP is so much more likely. Saying that, wintering RTPs are present in tiny numbers as near as north westen Portugal, where odd birds are being found - apparently increasingly. I would have thought SW UK and Ireland could have potential for wintering - or am I way off base?

Surely the N Western meadow pipits would show more buff on the underside not white as this bird does. I cannot see any rump showing but possibly some streaked upper tail coverts which are of no help from what reading I have managed. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can discuss any eastern races.

Surely the N Western meadow pipits would show more buff on the underside not white as this bird does. I cannot see any rump showing but possibly some streaked upper tail coverts which are of no help from what reading I have managed. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can discuss any eastern races.

But we are discussing a winter bird here moving towards Spring plumage - some of my literature has Meadow Pipit becoming whiter below. The discussion in Birding Frontiers on Icelandic and Whistleri does relate more to Spring and Autumn birds with no real reference to winter plumages... so if RT Pipit loses the redness in summer then does Icelandic Meadow Pipit lose its ‘orangeness’ as well, and therefore cleaner underneath? Perhaps a first year bird? Literature to hand also says that eastern birds are paler and greyer so on second look, there are grey tones on the nape and wings... but are they as well streaked?
Ian

Last edited:
But we are discussing a winter bird here moving towards Spring plumage - some of my literature has Meadow Pipit becoming whiter below. The discussion in Birding Frontiers on Icelandic and Whistleri does relate more to Spring and Autumn birds with no real reference to winter plumages... so if RT Pipit loses the redness in summer then does Icelandic Meadow Pipit lose its ‘orangeness’ as well, and therefore cleaner underneath? Perhaps a first year bird? Literature to hand also says that eastern birds are paler and greyer so on second look, there are grey tones on the nape and wings... but are they as well streaked?
Ian

Hmmm! Plenty of food for thought but I might just have to submit it as TRP and see what happens!

You may have noticed another 'streaked' Meadow Pipit/RT Pipit discussion thread in the last few days... It was noticeable that after your posting that up here in Lancashire similar pale, streaked Meadow Pipits started moving through - returning Icelandic/NW birds? All very interesting though to pay attention to these birds at this time of year... I've had (silent) birds later in spring that have convincingly looked like Tree Pipit on views obtained but were Meadow Pipit as per the similarities pointed out in the Birding Frontiers article.
Keeps us on our toes :)
Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back