• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa USA Service (1 Viewer)

bonesmalones

I recently dropped my 8.5x44 Genesis and one of the eyecups got bent. I sent them in to Kowa USA service and I have to say, so far they've been really good. They looked them over and sent me an invoice for the fix and I expect to have them back next week. All in all not unpleasant in any way. I'll update when I get them back.

If you wouldn't mind, what was the invoice? There exists seemingly limited info on Kowa's service department, in particular as it pertains to damage such as this (i.e. user-inflicted damage not covered by warranty).

Thanks!

Labor $95, new eye cups $35. They clean, nitrogen purge (not certain what this is), collimate. A bargain I think.

Edit: Nitrogen purge looks like a good thing. (Google knows everything).

Last edited:
As a new owner of Genesis 8x33, this is encouraging to hear. I'm glad to hear that the customer service is responsive and that the damage was due to user error and not manufacturer defect!

I got the Kowa 8.5x44 back from Kowa USA service yesterday and they did a great job on the fix, they're cleaned and look new. The ONLY disappointment is that I specifically asked for a replacement carrying case as I had lost the original and they did not include one in the shipment and no mention of it on the paperwork so I'll be calling them back again today.

Thanks for the info. I want another pair of the 8.5x44s... I sold them awhile back because of issues with my shoulder and the hefty nature of them, but I've regained some of the strength in my arm and so far have not found another pair of binoculars that offered everything the Kowa did for the price (I got mine as an Eagle Optics demo).

It is good to hear that service was done well and fairly ($130 for user-inflicted damage is not bad). That was always a concern of mine as there was so little info regarding their warranty and service department(s).

Justin

Thanks for the info. I want another pair of the 8.5x44s... I sold them awhile back because of issues with my shoulder and the hefty nature of them, but I've regained some of the strength in my arm and so far have not found another pair of binoculars that offered everything the Kowa did for the price (I got mine as an Eagle Optics demo).

It is good to hear that service was done well and fairly ($130 for user-inflicted damage is not bad). That was always a concern of mine as there was so little info regarding their warranty and service department(s).

Justin

I did speak to their service department again and they didn't drop the ball. They're looking into how to get ahold of a new carrying case as they have none in stock. As a side note, I recently picked up a pair of Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 and they are equally as good as the 8.5x44(which I also got as an Eagle Optics demo). Beautiful instruments.

Closing the loop on this, I just received from Kowa USA a new carrying case, no charge. They seem to measure up pretty good against the competition?

Hi, I'm glad to hear your service experience was better than mine. In late 2017 I purchased their best spotting scope (which is amazing) from an authorized dealer along with a bunch of extra Kowa accessories. There was something wrong with the twist up eye cup...it wasn't staying locked in place and I sent them a video of the problem. It's an inexpensive part and I figured that they would send a replacement. They were a pain and wanted me to buy a new one. So, they gave me the part number and I ordered...and it was the wrong part / no fit. I ended up epoxying the bad one at the correct height.
The warranty departments from Leupold and Nikon have set a high bar. I've never been charged for service and have probably used the warranties 6 or 7 times over the years.
Having said that, I'm very happy with the Kowa but understand that if something goes wrong it likely won't be a free fix.

hello, I also had a problem with my 8.5x44, the rubber was a bit unstuck, there was air leakage, my binoculars are 8 years old, called Kowa via email. Germany, sent and returned after a week put in place without paying anything. it's a wonderful pair of binoculars !!! Giorgio

Inviato dal mio LG-H930 utilizzando Tapatalk

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back