• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Switching to DSLR for Bird Photography - Advice appreciated (1 Viewer)

lowcountrybird

Hello,

I have only used film cameras and digital point and click (Olympus C740-Ultra Zoom). I do have a Canon Rebel S Film camera with a 35-105mm zoom lens. My c740 is inadequate for bird photography given I really want to take much better bird photos and it's just too soft and noisy at full zoom. I am also going to Costa Rica in January and want to be able to take good photos of wildlife there. So, I'm thinking it's time to consider going to DSLR rather than upgrading my point and click camera.

Weight is a consideration since I shouldn't be lugging too much weight around. I like to go out for long walks. I realize it is a contradiction to want to get more serious about bird photography and yet have weight limitations, but I really do have to be careful about how much weight I take on. So it will be about compromises there.

Ability to capture bird behavior is important as well. We live on a river and get eagles, hawks, gulls, terns, pelicans, osprey, and also lots of smaller birds as well. I get frustrated when a gorgeous osprey perches on a post two docks away eating a fish, and I cannot get a decent shot with my c740. We also get hummingbirds in our backyard each year that I'd love to be able to capture with more detail.

So I'm considering the following cameras:

Olympus E-520
Olympus E-3
Canon 40D
Canon Xsi
Pentax K20D

Do any of you on the Pentax forum have any advice regarding using a Pentax K20D for bird photograpy? I want to get into a system that I can grow with. I was a bit concerned about Pentax compared to Canon as a company. I have read about Pentax being acquired and also had a Ritz Camera sales person clearly trying to steer me away from Pentax, implying they might get sold off from Hoya (sp?). However, that could all be rubbish talk. The K20D looks like a great camera - It's weatherized so that it should handle being in the tropics. With Pentax, I believe I'll have plenty of good lens options, yes?

Any advice on factors to consider and on the equipment I'm considering would be appreciated since I'm a novice to the DSLR world.

Thanks!

Difficult - but keep trying

As a photography for many years, when it comes to birding, I have failed miserably. It is the most difficult subject I have tried to shoot. A challenge, so I will keep trying, but I am under no allusions about how difficult it is to get a good shot.

As for DSLR, well the question is what's the alternative, for lens selection none. So the other alternative is to use a spotting scope and an adapter with a compact camera. The down side of the DSLR, and that is what I use are. Noise size and weight. The noise of the mirror, the noise of the AF. (Built in lens motors are much quieter, but the joke is you often shoot manual).

Can't give you a recommendation as I have not had much success to know which is the best way to go, however should give you an idea of what things to consider.

Weight is a consideration since I shouldn't be lugging too much weight around. I like to go out for long walks. I realize it is a contradiction to want to get more serious about bird photography and yet have weight limitations, but I really do have to be careful about how much weight I take on. So it will be about compromises there.

Ability to capture bird behavior is important as well. We live on a river and get eagles, hawks, gulls, terns, pelicans, osprey, and also lots of smaller birds as well. I get frustrated when a gorgeous osprey perches on a post two docks away eating a fish, and I cannot get a decent shot with my c740. We also get hummingbirds in our backyard each year that I'd love to be able to capture with more detail.

So I'm considering the following cameras:

Olympus E-520
Olympus E-3
Canon 40D
Canon Xsi
Pentax K20D

Do any of you on the Pentax forum have any advice regarding using a Pentax K20D for bird photograpy? I want to get into a system that I can grow with.

Any advice on factors to consider and on the equipment I'm considering would be appreciated since I'm a novice to the DSLR world.

Thanks!

As an owner of both a Pentax DL and a K20D I think you might want to be more realistic about what you can do with a camera.

First. There is just no way that I know of where you will be able to get the kind of reach (magnification) and quality you want without using a large long lens on a tripod. A 500mm whould be minimum in my opinion and, in general, would have to be tripod mounted.

If I was to use a hand held DSLR for wildlife shots I'd think about perhaps a 50-300 or 400mm zoom and just accept it's limitations. This would give you about 9x magnification and would work for close in shots of opportunity.

For instance the following was taken at a distance of about 300 feet and required a large 100m (objective size not FL) Pentax spotting scope giving me 38x mounted on a very heavy tripod. This would be the equivalent of a 1920mm telephoto.

Attachments

• IMGP2900XXX CROPPED.jpg
    IMGP2900XXX CROPPED.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 440
By the way, that's a gorgeous photo of the eagle.

I was interested in the four-thirds system given the 2x factor. My thought was that this would allow me to have a lighter weight kit.

I will definitely look into the scope option.

Thanks again.

Hi I have a Pentax K10D it's as good a camera as you'll get for the money ;) especially with the weather sealing :t: I use a Sigma 50-500 and monopod on it for birding, it takes a fair photo and is quite portable. Take a look at my gallery ;)

You might want to think about some of the point and shoot camera with 15X zoom.
Getting into a DSLR is a whole new adventure. Light Weight and size they are not.
There are several zooms with 8 mega pixels or more that are under $500 and quite decent with equivalant reach of 400 mm or more.

Decided on the Pentax K20D

Well, I decided to take the plunge and get the Pentax K20D. I've been playing with it this weekend with some older manual lenses. I've ordered the DA 55-300mm lens. I'll post updates once I get the new lens. Thanks!

Because you mentioned weight, have you considered the Panasonic or Olympus Micro two-thirds cameras that will be introduced perhaps this year.

Panasonic's camera has been previewed at dpreview. No info on the olympus, however, many are hoping that it will be smaller than the Pansonic. This is the link to the preview of Panasonic's camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091202panasonic_DMC_G1.asp

Here is a link to the announce of these cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08080501microfourthirds.asp

I am very gald to hear you are enjoying the camera. I recently bought a K200D (not being able to justify the K20D) and have been very pleased - build quality in particular is fantastic and I love all the weather seals. I bought a very average, but cheap, Pentax 75-300mm lens to go with it which can take great pictures - as always the more you spend on glass the better the results will be.

I also rather like being the only guy around not toting a Canon or a Nikon - a bit of reverse snobbery perhaps?!

Cheers

Richard

Micro four thirds...

Because you mentioned weight, have you considered the Panasonic or Olympus Micro two-thirds cameras that will be introduced perhaps this year.

Panasonic's camera has been previewed at dpreview. No info on the olympus, however, many are hoping that it will be smaller than the Pansonic. This is the link to the preview of Panasonic's camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091202panasonic_DMC_G1.asp

Here is a link to the announce of these cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08080501microfourthirds.asp

Just noticed these the other day. Very interesting.

I am very gald to hear you are enjoying the camera. I recently bought a K200D (not being able to justify the K20D) and have been very pleased - build quality in particular is fantastic and I love all the weather seals. I bought a very average, but cheap, Pentax 75-300mm lens to go with it which can take great pictures - as always the more you spend on glass the better the results will be.
Richard
I am interested in the K200D for the same reason as yours and on account of having six Pentax-M manual focus lenses from 28 to 400mm.
Is the viewfinder of the K200D bright enough for focussing with the long Pentax zoom which, I assume, is not autofocus, or with other manual focus lenses?

I am interested in the K200D for the same reason as yours and on account of having six Pentax-M manual focus lenses from 28 to 400mm.
Is the viewfinder of the K200D bright enough for focussing with the long Pentax zoom which, I assume, is not autofocus, or with other manual focus lenses?
I am afraid I have not done much manual focussing, because although I have 2 old manual lenses I have yet to do much with them on the camera. On the whole, however, I think the view-finder is bright enough, but it is a little difficult to be sure that you have the right focus because it does not have the split screen I was used to in the days that I had an ME Super film camera. The view-finder itself is also adjustable to make sure your eye performance is equivalent to the auto-focus performance.

I hope this helps - the camera is great and I do have a certain smug satisfaction carrying around something a bit different from all those common Canons and Nikons!

I presume the viewfinder is similar to a K10D which I use with a 50-500 @f6.3 manual focus is quite good with the standard screen but I have fitted a Katzeye split prism screen which does make it easier ;) Pentax are Known for having bright focus screen compared to other brands :smoke:

Bird Photos taken with K20D and DA 55-300mm lens

Here are some photos of birds taken with my Pentax equipment.

Attachments

• p125799521-3.jpg
    p125799521-3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 299
  • p1021998041-4.jpg
    p1021998041-4.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 238
  • p688107832-3.jpg
    p688107832-3.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 368
  • p793029859-3.jpg
    p793029859-3.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 273
  • p505548712-3.jpg
    p505548712-3.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 274
I presume the viewfinder is similar to a K10D which I use with a 50-500 @f6.3 manual focus is quite good with the standard screen but I have fitted a Katzeye split prism screen which does make it easier ;) Pentax are Known for having bright focus screen compared to other brands :smoke:
Actually the K200D has a pentamirror and the K10D/K20D have pentaprisms. The latter are brighter and the Katzeye undoubtedly helps. I have heard from only one user who has actually employed a 400mm lens with the K200D.
His opinion is that the pentamirror is bright enough to use with such a small aperture long lens. More comments from actual users would be welcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back