• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photo organization and basic editing (1 Viewer)

RonHW

Hi,

I see that it's been several years since this topic came up.

I'm looking for a convenient and worthy program to sort and organize my digital photo files. The program should also be ale to handle basic editing.

I've been using Irfanview, but it does not organization functions.

Photoshop is of course very powerful, and I muddle through a bit with it, but same limitations when it comes to organizing files.

I'm aware of Lightroom, but do not have a copy.

Currently looking at products by ACDSee.
http://www.acdsee.com/en/products/acdsee-17

Any recommendations for powerful yet easy to use products?

Thanks,
Ron

I love ACDSee, even though I have the pro 7 version (better for raw and has built in non-destructive development mode.

I think Picasa needs to be mentioned, even though I have never been able to get along with it

Niels

Hi Ron.

the best by a mile of the free easy to use, is" FastStone" image viewer.
Its more than just another viewer, it organisers, edits, it's easy to customise, has some good features like comparative views, where you can compare up to 4 images together, plus much more,
just google FastStone and see.

hope thats of some use.

Keith

Thank you Kieth and Niels. I too have not enjoyed my Picassa experiences.

Will try out both ACDSee and FastStone.

Regards,
Ron

Photoshop Elements would be another good choice. I've used it both as editor and organizer for several years now and am very happy with it. It's much cheaper than Lightroom.

Photoshop Elements would be another good choice. I've used it both as editor and organizer for several years now and am very happy with it. It's much cheaper than Lightroom.

Unless Adobe has changed their structure, both programs rely on you importing your photo into the program and changes to pictures need to be exported to be available to other programs - which is similar behavior to Picasa from my experience.

ACDSee is different -- it works on your images where they are. For that reason, do not delete or move images with other programs if working with ACDSee.

Niels

Nikon's View NX2 might be worth a bit of consideration. It is possible to make basic edits with it. I prefer the organisation structure it uses to the mess that is Elements. And it is free.

I agree with you Fugl, I have used it for just over a year, and after getting used to it, I like it. I use PSE 11, more for the organising but also do editing for cropping/resizing when I need to post a photo for ID purposes.
I now have Birds, Butterflies, Moths, Dragon and Damselflies organised and my next project is Mamals. It handles RAW as well as jpg, but for my purposes I use jpg because doing anything with RAW takes ages and my photos are more for personal ID use rather than for commercial or photo competition use.

Unless Adobe has changed their structure, both programs rely on you importing your photo into the program and changes to pictures need to be exported to be available to other programs - which is similar behavior to Picasa from my experience.

ACDSee is different -- it works on your images where they are. For that reason, do not delete or move images with other programs if working with ACDSee.

Niels

with PSE 11 you import links and leave the photos where they are. Changes can be made to include the originals or when for example, deleting a photo from an album, you can check a box and make the changes to the original position as well.

I use and love Lightroom for its great organising functions, and now its editing is all I ever need, but it's only really worthwhile if you shoot RAW, I think.
I love Faststone for quick viewing, but haven't tried rganising with it.

My new workflow uses my iPad for organising and selecting photos, using Photos and PhotosInfoPro apps. I find it so quick and convenient that I haven't really got much use for Lightroom now.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back