• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski DF 8x30W O GA STP (1 Viewer)

whezka

Hello..

I ordered a Swarovski Habicht 8x30W from one of the European dealers. Instead I was sent a Swarovski DF 8x30W O GA STP (see thumbnail picture for what it looks like).

What does STP stand for? I know GA means the green rubber. O means individual focus..

It looks like it was manufactured in 2012 (from the B82... I deleted the other numbers).

How does this perform compared to the black Habicht 8x30W? Anyone has compared or reviewed them together?

I'm deciding whether to return it immediately.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 8x30w ga o.jpg
    8x30w ga o.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,149
Last edited:
Hello..

I ordered a Swarovski Habicht 8x30W from one of the European dealers. Instead I was sent a Swarovski DF 8x30W O GA STP (see thumbnail picture for what it looks like).

What does STP stand for? I know GA means the green rubber. O means individual focus..

It looks like it was manufactured in 2012 (from the B82... I deleted the other numbers).

How does this perform compared to the black Habicht 8x30W? Anyone has compared or reviewed them together?

Thank you.
For birding I personally would not want an IF focus binocular.

For birding I personally would not want an IF focus binocular.

Optically.. how does it differ to the Habicht 8x30W? I think I read somewhere that since it has individual eyepiece, it uses higher quality eyepiece.. the reviewer mentioning the Swar 8x30W IF he tried has higher contrast. Can anyone confirm this?

Hello..

Thank you.

You unbelieveble lucky b.....

You have the military version which is optical better then the civilian version with CF.
I ordered one and got the 10x40 military version (by accident) delivered and it turned out my WSP was almost double compared to the CF version.
If you paid the normal price: KEEP IT;)

Jan

i also read somewhere the swaro 8X30 IF have better resolution

What is the reason why it has better resolution?

I bought it at binostore.com https://www.binostore.com/en/binoculars/hunting-binoculars/habicht-8x30-w/

Paid for $736. I ordered the Habicht 8x30 black body. I don't know why they sent me the GA.

I'm waiting for the new product announcement on March 4 so I can regotiate for exchange with a new porro. If there won't be one. Perhaps would exchange it for a Habicht 10x40.

It has reticle too. What does STP stand for? I think it's made in 2012.

thank you very much. i don't know the reason , but apparently swarovski made the military binoculars a little better optically maybe because expectation from the military client is bigger than the civilian client ,i don't find another explanation. I saw the offer from the BINOSTORE but this type of binoculars do not appears .is strange how they sent you a binoculars like this

thank you very much. i don't know the reason , but apparently swarovski made the military binoculars a little better optically maybe because expectation from the military client is bigger than the civilian client ,i don't find another explanation. I saw the offer from the BINOSTORE but this type of binoculars do not appears .is strange how they sent you a binoculars like this

Please see the thumbnail picture below. The box is wrapped with it. It says "Habicht 8x30W".

When I ordered from Binostore. They said they didn't have stock. I had to wait for one week. They told me it was being shipped to them by Swarovski. When I asked for the serial number saying I want one made in 2015 and it shows in the first 2 digit of the serial no. They just didn't want to email me the serial number in spite or repeated asking and kept saying they are official distributor of Swarovski and only have latest stocks from them. I don't know if they really get it from Swarovski or other sellers. Maybe Swarovski has excess of the 8x30W GA? I paid about $100 import tax for it in my country. I read somewhere maybe in birdforums or elsewhere about a guy saying his 8x30W IF has better contrast.. he conjectured if it may be a modified eyepiece design use. I couldn't find the message or article. if you read it elsewhere.. please share the link. I'll only keep it if it is better optically than the black one. Whatever. It blows my other binoculars out of the water in contrast in testing resolving wall textures in the neighbor.. even beating a 7x50 (Fujinon quality).

Btw.. based on the wrapper information in thumbnail below. Did Swarovski insert the wrong box or does the wrapper label match it? But is the DF 8x30W O GA STP also called a Habicht 8x30W?

Attachments

• swaro.jpg
    swaro.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 280
Everything is written in italian ,so probably the bino comes from Italy , strange . Unfortunately i cannot discern the years of production from the numbers on the etiquette.Anyway considering the exterior aspect is possibly one of the latest model not very old ,a couple years maybe . I have had the leather model , fantastic bino. if this one is better , i want one for myself. if you consider to sell him just tell me the price on private.

Everything is written in italian ,so probably the bino comes from Italy , strange . Unfortunately i cannot discern the years of production from the numbers on the etiquette.Anyway considering the exterior aspect is possibly one of the latest model not very old ,a couple years maybe . I have had the leather model , fantastic bino. if this one is better , i want one for myself. if you consider to sell him just tell me the price on private.

Binostore is located in Italy. Hmm.. maybe they created the wrapper label after they got the item from Austria (which is neighbor of Italy). But how can Swarovski send them an old 2012 GA stock. Either Swarovski make a mistake or Binostore got it from other sources in Italy. It means there may still be other GAs in stock there. Maybe you can email Binostore to ask.

I'll evaluate it first and find the article or message where the owner said he think his IF has better contrast. I want to know if it's just subjective or objective. Btw.. this GA is also owned by Rathaus and the same model.

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=547158&d=1433979541

He directly owns both 8x30W GA and the black one. So hope Rathaus can share with us how they really perform optically.. whether they are just identical.

Attachments

• rathaus.jpg
    rathaus.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 448
You unbelieveble lucky b.....

You have the military version which is optical better then the civilian version with CF.

Jan, is the reason the military version is optical better simply because they tested every pair to be sure there is no lemon.. or did they put more coating or glass? But we know the optimum coatings and glass already used in the Habicht 8x30. So how can they improve it further (when they can't even solve the veiling glare which I notice obviously compared to other binos.

I ordered one and got the 10x40 military version (by accident) delivered and it turned out my WSP was almost double compared to the CF version.
If you paid the normal price: KEEP IT;)

Jan

What is meant by "WSP"?

This Swedish dealer sells IF GA military versions of both the 8x30 and the 10x40. Their prices on the IF models are lower than the CF models.

http://natur.astrosweden.se/sv/articles/919/swarovski

Specifications are the same for the number of eyepiece elements and eye relief, so I think it's very likely that the IF uses the same 6 element Erfle as the CF. I'll believe the IF has higher resolution when I see it measured. Myths do tend to develop around the unobtainable.

This Swedish dealer sells IF GA military versions of both the 8x30 and the 10x40. Their prices on the IF models are lower than the CF models.

http://natur.astrosweden.se/sv/articles/919/swarovski

Specifications are the same for the number of eyepiece elements and eye relief, so I think it's very likely that the IF uses the same 6 element Erfle as the CF. I'll believe the IF has higher resolution when I see it measured. Myths do tend to develop around the unobtainable.

That's right. It doesn't even makes sense to make the Habicht 8x30W better without first dealing with the veiling glare that can affect military operations. So they should have the same optics. Unless someone has tested it as such.

Hope binomaniac can buy the GA version at the Swedish site and give us feedback in comparison to his black body Habicht. I'm still deciding what to do with it. Whatever. Binostore is not reliable. I ordered the black one and they gave me the GA (lower price to the black version as Henry shown) and refused for one week to email me the serial no. saying they have latest from Swarovski yet turned out it was made in 2012.

Thank you very much henry , the swedish dealer is a friend of mine from romania who is establish now in sweden i have no idea he sell such a swarovski model. I contact him urgently and i buy an 8x30 because the price is ok. it would be great a discount for me i don t know if it possible. Very interesting the 10x40 model . But IF focus in a 10x bino is very annoying i have had IOR VALDADA 10X40 and i know what the IF focus in 10x binoculars mean .

Thank you very much henry , the swedish dealer is a friend of mine from romania who is establish now in sweden i have no idea he sell such a swarovski model. I contact him urgently and i buy an 8x30 because the price is ok. it would be great a discount for me i don t know if it possible. Very interesting the 10x40 model . But IF focus in a 10x bino is very annoying i have had IOR VALDADA 10X40 and i know what the IF focus in 10x binoculars mean .

Is it possible to make some kind of belt like used in wheels of tanks to connect the two eyepieces together so you can turn them at same time?
You like a GA for the rubber armor and lens cover? Why else would you like a GA with individual focus? I think Binostore send me the GA because it's cheaper. So the $736 they put in web may not be the black one.. but the GA. This is bad marketing. I wonder if they do it on purpose or made mistake.

I'm thinking whether to replace it with a Habicht 10x40 but with less depth of field.. you have to constantly adjust the focus. Also if the focus wheels of all Habichts are very stiff.. maybe it's as unpleasant as individual focus? All of them good for one fixed distance viewing?

Interesting idea to connect the two eyepieces together with a belt but very hard the put in practice i think. As i say a 10x binoculars with IF focus is very annoying to use because he need constant refocusing for both eyes. If you use the bino only for long distance then is not a problem. I try the contact my friend in Sweden but for the moment i not succeed. I must ask him if the GA model have the latest coating on the objective which must be green color. If it is not green then i don't want him. The price is too good to be true. maybe is a discount for an old stock Anyway if i grab one i let you know my impressions. Would be almost imposible the compare from memory with the leather model . i had him a 1 years ago and sold him from a ridiculous price 350 euro on ebay absolutely new but without any accessories . I STILL CRY FOR HIM .

By The Way Yours Have A Green Colour On The Objective ? Maybe Have Some Time And Make A Clear Pictures In Order To See The Real Colour Of The Objective

And yes i like very much the rubber cover on the military binoculars and also the reticle especially in a swarovski model. I have an ZEISS 8X30 BGA T P , fantastic resolution on par with the best 8x binoculars i saw , swarovision 8x32. habicht new model 8x32. zeiss fl 8x42, swaro rangefinding 8x42. This zeiss model don t let nothing to desire on resolution aspect. If i grab an swaro habicht GA then i do intensive comparison with zeiss and kept the one i like better

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back