• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (1 Viewer)

Red-necked Grebe

Today was the first day with decent temperatures. Got some nice pictures, will process them later this week.

In the meantime sharing a picture of a Red-necked grebe from a local pond.

SW80, E620 @ISO 400

Attachments

• Red-necked Grebe (Podiceps grisegena)_1.jpg
    Red-necked Grebe (Podiceps grisegena)_1.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 81
That is nice, Tord. The 620 is no slouch of a camera. Said it many times. Whenever the new body comes out, my E-30 will go, but I will for sure keep my 620.

American Goldfinch

Took these pictures at the local park, after the weather change to warmer these birds start to show up.

Set up

SW89 ED + 1.7 TN+ extension tubes
ISO400, 1/400

50% crop

Enjoy

DSC_9819_zps1822af4c.jpg

DSC_9860_zps81198a8b.jpg

DSC_9880_zpsb0ea46c0.jpg

DSC_9979_zps936556f7.jpg

@Tord: that grebe is lokking very good with all those dropplets popping out, like in 3D :)
@pinkster: Great work on that goldfinch!

Tord, that grebe is really good, very sharp, well done.

Here are some from my A65 with the TL APO.

Attachments

• 2013_02_09_3.jpg
    2013_02_09_3.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 2013_02_03_1.jpg
    2013_02_03_1.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 2012_12_28_3.jpg
    2012_12_28_3.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 2012_12_28_2.jpg
    2012_12_28_2.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 96
Nice photos everyone.

Fernando, what do you think of the A65? Now that the shutter has gone on my Canon 450D I had A65 on my list as a possible replacement.

Cheers,
Paul.

Nice photos everyone.

Fernando, what do you think of the A65? Now that the shutter has gone on my Canon 450D I had A65 on my list as a possible replacement.

Cheers,
Paul.

At this point I would say it’s the best digiscoping camera in the market (either this or the A77 depending on your needs), At least for me.

That said, I still have some mixed feelings about it, it’s really good in some respects, but could be quite better on others.

The upsides:
I bought it for one reason mainly, focus peaking. It’s a remarkable function, it’s the easiest way to focus on steady subjects I’ve ever used, period. Seeing what is in focus couldn’t be easier than this.

Than there’s that amazing EVF, it’s huge, it shows exactly what your picture is going to look like, it’s very sharp and clear, even in lower lights. Much better than the G5 EVF I had previously.
Still, I added a 1.35x magnifier to it, now it’s like focusing on my living room TV :p.
Being used to the 450 OVF you’re going to love the view from this, also you’ll see the true DOF you’re getting, I found that very helpful in focusing too.

The steady shot, you have to chip your scope to take advantage from it, but it works quite well, especially in video mode.

Speed, this camera is fast, really fast. 3.5fps with live view, that’s about average for an EVF camera. But you have the option of 10fps too, and it writes those shots to the card very fast for a camera at this level.
Of course at 10 fps it no longer gives us live view, but it’s slide show effect is very fast, again much faster than the G5 I had. Overall it just feels very snappy.

Resolution, I’ve never seen so many feathers on a bird shot until I bought this, the detail is incredible. On the other hand, missfocus and shakiness now becomes quite obvious.

Silence while working, this is a feature I start valuing a lot lately, and this camera doesn’t disappoint, is not completely silent like the G5 but is very discrete, and using the front curtain option even more so. I don’t think I ever had a bird flying away from the shutter with the A65, this was a real problem in some locations with the D90.

Now for the downsides:
ISOs are a bit strange on this camera, when I first view the files from the camera I found them very noisy indeed. But comparing side by side to my D90, showed me that the ISOs from the A65 are very different than the ISOs from the D90. Basically, shooting the same scene with both I had to increase the ISO on the D90 by almost 2/3 of a stop to get the same shutter speed of the A65 and the same histogram.
Now I find myself shooting a lot at ISO 100 and 200 a lot, while on the D90 I rarely dropped from 400.
I don’t know if it’s just my camera, but mine is definitely more sensitive for the same ISOs than the D90 was.

Trap focus, you don’t use it, but is something I loved on my D90. And the trap focus on the A65 just doesn’t work reliably. Still I can’t complain about it because most other newer cameras I tried don’t work as well as the D90, that goes for the D7000 and D300 too.

Focus peaking, is really good… but could be even better. And this is the point that’s going to make me change this camera sooner than I though.
Sony’s peaking uses a type of CDAF detection, it reads only vertical structures. With that it’s sensitivity is less than optimal. And in some cases it doesn’t even show enough peaking.
To work around it, I have to increase the effect to mid or high, the problem with this is the shown peaking is more than the image DOF, so precision is lost.
Also, detecting only vertical structures causes peaking effect to disappear when panning horizontally, witch is an obvious problem for BIFs.
I hope sony improves this at some point, for example a focus peaking like Fuji is using now seems to be best. From the videos I’ve seen on Fuji it’s peaking seems to detect vertical and horizontal features and detects far more detail than sony’s.

JMHO on the camera, I hope it helps on your decision ;)

Thanks all for feedback and nice words.

Picking up some more photos from the photo session last weekend. Here is a portrait of the other family member that showed up for a few seconds followed by a decent record shot from a brief and sudden display behavior.

/Tord

Attachments

• Red-necked Grebe (Podiceps grisegena)_2.jpg
    Red-necked Grebe (Podiceps grisegena)_2.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Red-necked Grebe (Podiceps grisegena)_3.jpg
    Red-necked Grebe (Podiceps grisegena)_3.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 78
Went out hoping to shoot some kingfishers today. Only got the one little fella but some other interesting characters showed up though.

Canon 60D, TSAPO 90/600 @ 1176mm f/13. Temp about 28 C

Attachments

• IMG_2254.jpg
    IMG_2254.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2317.jpg
    IMG_2317.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 79
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back