• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are year lists getting less popular with BF viewers? (1 Viewer)

kb57

Europe
As a relatively recent member of BF, I've embraced the idea over the past few years of making my (admittedly not very impressive) year listing efforts public. I also enjoy reading other people's lists, and must admit to making a slightly sneaky comparison with the number of views as a test of relative popularity amongst other BF members!

Looking back over my previous year lists, I was surprised to see that my first effort in 2017 resulted in significantly more views (over 7k) than 2018 (just over 4k). I put this down to changing from a UK to a World list, which I could understand was maybe less interesting to British birders - there's arguably less meaning in a list which can be simply boosted by going on holiday in a different country. However, when I look at some of the stalwarts of the BF year lists, who have maintained the same format over a number of years, I see the same trend.

For example, looking at two consistent and popular contributors (Griswold's Birding Year and Gus's Scottish List), after a rise from 2015-16, the trend from 2016-2018 has been downward (19k/17k to 5k/7k) - based on views to date, this seems set to continue in 2019. I'm assuming relatively few people view past years lists, so it's unlikely to be due simply to age of posts.

So, does this mean either:
(a) people are getting less interested in reading others' listing efforts, perhaps reflecting a trend away from listing (aside from the super-competitive year listers who use other fora to publish their efforts); or
(b) this simply reflects a wider decline in popularity of Bird Forum, perhaps due to competition from other social media for birders?

They do seem less popular KB but I still enjoy reading them. Good to compare what people are seeing in different areas. I must admit that I tend to prefer UK based lists but that’s just me.

Rich

I really enjoy James’ top ten targets list as well. A really enjoyable read and good to see youngsters being encouraged to enjoy nature.

Rich

Afraid I'm not in favour of British year-listing. To me, it means every year loads of people trying to see scarcities such as Goshawk, Honey Buzzard, Montagu's Harrier ... and thereby adding to the pressure on these birds.

Slight rant over.

Afraid I'm not in favour of British year-listing. To me, it means every year loads of people trying to see scarcities such as Goshawk, Honey Buzzard, Montagu's Harrier ... and thereby adding to the pressure on these birds.

Slight rant over.

I get where you're coming drom Dave but I personally don't see that on the year lists here on BF. Is it more competitive on other sites maybe?

Haven't seen a Honey Buzzard for years even though I think I know where to look. Don't get me wrong, if I'm walking the dog in the area, or driving through it, I pay very close attention to the BOP's. But for ages "all" I've seen are Common Buzzards, and Red Kites. Never seen a Montagu's:-C. And Goshawk can be seen at certain times of the year close(ish) to here displaying. Having said that, they're not on this year's year list.

I'd imagine that most are like myself. E.G The Little Terns and Stone Curlews I have on this year's list were from an organised Boat Trip, whereby a donation was put back into their conservation, or from a viewing screen at an RSPB reserve (RSPB Winterbourne)

I was using the year list as an incentive to get out and about more. Now, with a 1 year old dog that has limitless energy, I have another incentive3:)

Rich

Slight rant over.

For year-listers Goshawk and Honey Buzzard can be easily picked up at traditional sites where disturbance is an irrelevance - and for year-listing ease and speed are everything! Once they are on, its game over, onto the next species. Your understanding of motivation and consequence in year-listing is poor.

The only easily available Montagu's Harrier I know about is the female returner at Blacktoft Sands, which again is a controlled situation where disturbance is basically impossible. If you know of places where birders are putting pressure on the birds, you know more than I do.

So tell me again what the problem is, with a lot more convincing evidence?

John

To be fair John, Dave did say it was a “slight” rant. Think I might focus on my pitifully small life list next year. Going to be 50 in just under 18 months and would like to hit 300 in that year.

Rich

To be fair John, Dave did say it was a “slight” rant. Think I might focus on my pitifully small life list next year. Going to be 50 in just under 18 months and would like to hit 300 in that year.

Rich

Well, hopefully we've all learned something....

Your quest: far to go and any easy ones outstanding?

Cheers

John

Well, hopefully we've all learned something....

Your quest: far to go and any easy ones outstanding?

Cheers

John
What I class as easy and what others do is probably poles apart:-O. I had to knock off 2 this week as I’d stupidly included the Bar-headed Goose at Goldcliff (embarrassed to admit that one!) and a couple of unringed Ruddy Shelducks at Slimbridge a couple of years ago.

So on 283 at the moment. I guess Temnicks Stint, Great Shearwater, Leach’s Petrel, Roseate Tern, White-winged Black Tern, King Eider, Buff Breasted Sandpiper, Red- backed Shrike, Montagu’s Harrier are up there with some of the “easier” species I need. There’s also quite a few Warblers - Marsh etc. I figure that if anything’s local, and it’s on the weekend (and the boy doesn’t have a rugby game on:eek!:) I’ll go for it. I’m also going to perhaps spend a week in Norfolk here and there to mop up some others and hit the road early for others.

Rich

Will also be back up on Mull in 8 days. I need to stop for the pup on the way up so looking at the map, Hogganfield Loch looks like a decent place to stretch his legs.:smoke: Will also be heading to Ardnamurchan for the day. The primary reason for this is that I want to show the boys where we’re hoping to stay for my 50th, and to go for a swim at Sanna. I’ll also just have to have a look upstream of the 2nd bridge at Strontian. :t:

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back