• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Ultravids coming (1 Viewer)

No one denies that a slot exists in some EL models, based on your pictures, or that water will enter the bridge under some conditions.....so what exactly is the hobgoblin you are complaining about?

Why is this important?...you continue to attack without justification a company that can't defend itself openly on this forum.

The undeniable facts are:

# Swarovski makes world class binoculars.
# Swarovski binoculars are very reliable.
# Swarovski provides world class service.
# All things made by the hand of man can be improved.
Ed

Blimey Ed, you sound very cross about this.
Let's move this off the Leica thread, as the discussion has inevitably drifted back onto another make (you named them, not me).
If you want to take the discussion up a gear, I'd be delighted to have a good old arguement with you, but perhaps we should do it by personal message? Let me know if you'd like to do that, as I'm sure the others don't want to read this stuff any more. But just to answer a couple of your points:
1). Nobody denies the slot exists? Sorry mate, you haven't done your homework. A number of writers denied it. That's why I posted the photos. In fact, you helped me to do it, remember?
2). Nobody denies the water will enter? Nope Ed, wrong again. Check your back-reading. There have been several posts saying that Sancho's bins didn't leak at all. Why, when he told us that they did? Try reading it again.
3). I am not attacking the company. I am passing-on factual information. The company is at liberty to join us and discuss the matter, but has not done so. Other manufacturers (Zeiss and Kowa) have made entries on these forums by senior members of their service depts in the last few weeks alone, answering problems. The other company you mentioned are free to do so.
4). S*****ski provides world class service???? Mate, you wouldn't say that if you'd seen my file of unanswered letters, emails, declined phone calls and failures to call back as promised. You might have good service in the USA, but here in UK there is NO SERVICE DEPARTMENT. Every little job has to be shipped back to Austria. The company told me this personally. They were even unable to tighten a small screw in this country. Tha'ts not world-class mate, it's 'USA-only' class.

And just in case you're about to accuse me of bias again, I wholeheartedly AGREE with you Ed, they DO make world class binoculars. I've said this in many postings. In fact, I've said that in my humble opinion, they can make the world's BEST binoculars. If I could simply walk into a shop and replace the pair I lost with an identical pair (ie. pre-hole and pre-fast focus) I'd still be a happy owner, like I was for the first five years.

I'm very sorry if I keep repeating the same things "ad nauseum" as you put it. But each time I get called a liar or something true get denied "ad nauseum" I'm sorry, but I'll discuss it again. It ain't me starting it, is it?

drop me a line if you wish, Ed. Let's move off the Leica forum. best regards Paul

And the price for this wow factor is ???

Nev
Suggested Retail Price
8x32 HD £1,210
10x32 HD £1,280
7x42 HD £1,280
8x42 HD £1,350
10x42 HD £1,420
8x50 HD £1,350
10x50 HD £1,420
12x50 HD £1,570
All these models where on show, they were officially launched at the British Birdwatching Fair on friday

Curious: It was my understanding that the was no change to the optical system between the Trinovids and the Ultravids other than coatings. The internal lenses were all the same. I guess that when you incorporate FL glass, then all the lenses change?

At the price something you really have to try before you buy.

Mike

Just tried the new Ultravids HD at the birdfair, all I can say is WOW

I tried them too and found the focus wheel to be very stiff on the 8x32's. I asked for assistance to be told that's how they are supposed to be.

The optics are faultless but I won't be giving up my existing bins even if I had £1200+ to spare.

Dave J

Good thing Renze and I are all set with our 804EDs. Ya gotta love 'em, those copycats. :king:

Last edited:
Just tried the new Ultravids HD at the birdfair, all I can say is WOW

I tried them too , in particular the 8 x 32. It was Wow for me too . Much more significant was the 'Wow! ' from my wife . We looked through lots of other bino's from other makers, she was hoping we would find an alternative .We didn't, we'll be saving up for a pair of HD's.

were htey notcieable brighter? like when 1st looking through an FL?what was the WOW for? I would think in non CA situations they would look almost the same

were htey notcieable brighter? like when 1st looking through an FL?what was the WOW for? I would think in non CA situations they would look almost the same

For me it was the whole package of the 8 x 32 Leica HD, weight , size , image , close focus , how they felt in the hand, just the whole shebang worked so well. For my wife to comment is quite something , the fact that she saw a difference was , for me , proof that it wasn't just me kidding myself that these Leicas were indeed better than the competition.We had looked at several other makers prior to the Leicas.
We did not look at any other Leica model except for the 10 x 32, which my wife found she could not hold steady enough for prolonged use. All we have to do now is save some money for when they become available .

Just got off the phone with one of the Leica USA reps, concerning my query regarding the "pending obsolescence" of my year old Ultravids. He said, apart from easy clean coatings and improvements to the focus drive I would not likely experience any improvements in "clarity and overall optical performance" when comparing the existing Ultavids with the new HDs.

If true, this should be welcome news to those of us who plunked down a lot of dollars in the past year or so.

Also, there are no plans at the moment to reissue the Duovid line with HD glass.

Robert / Seattle

Last edited:
seems a funny reply from someone whom you would expect to lavish praise on their new product ? . If that is the case why bother with the improvements if your not going to be able to see any improvement at all ?...

seems a funny reply from someone whom you would expect to lavish praise on their new product ? . If that is the case why bother with the improvements if your not going to be able to see any improvement at all ?...

Perhaps the improvements in "optical quality" are nominal (observable under laboratory conditions only - and less so, if at all, in the field) and it's the total package of changes, including smoother focus and lotutec coatings, that signal this entry into the market of ever-diminishing returns. Believe me, if the HD lenses are noticeably better, I will re-purchase a chosen configuration or two. But I certainly hope it's not the case. According to the Leica website (which I posted above), the new HD lenses are "3% brighter" than the soon-to-be-replaced Ultravid line. I'm not sure I can even count that low let alone discern that little change in performance.
Lotutec and improvements to focus drives? Great. But if you already have a pair of top notch Ultrvids you won't likely have to change unless you're a bit of a fanatic. If you don't already own a pair of Leicas and are looking to buy, then lucky you with the advent of the HDs. At least that's my take so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back