• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which setup to take?? (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
Hello guys, I’m making a trip to bempton cliffs/flambrough cliffs this Friday, it’s been a while & just wondering which lens setup would benefit me. Is is the 7d mk2 + 100-400 mk2 or canon 300 f2.8 + 7d mk1 + 2x extender mk2. Don’t get me wrong it’s a nice dilemma to have, kind of bittersweet. I’m mainly wanting BIF pics. I’ll probably end up taking both, but would appreciate some feedback on what other people used & was it enough.

Thanks
Sean

Well, we all have different ideas on this but for me the weight of the outfit is a major influence. I use black lenses so I'm unsure of the weight of yours but I've had good results at Bempton by taking both as you're suggesting. I love my 200-400 + 1.4TC but I can no longer swing it around and hold the birds steady in view - so that one goes on a tripod. That said Nikon released a lightweight 500mm and this has made by BIF shooting so much easier (I said easier, not better!), so I can hand hold with this lens. I suppose I'm saying take both and try on the spot for which works best.
It's not always the longest that beats the others, on the Farnes I found my 70-200 produced the goods and the big heavy zoom sat on the grass because the birds were flying so close.
Good luck, it's a great venue at this time of year and Staple Neuk (?) was a good spot for me last time.

Hi dragnil, thanks for your message, I was leaning towards taking both, It’s been a while since I last did bird photography & I used to be able to handhold the 300 f2.8 + 2x extender with ease but after nearly 8yrs on ive struggled, but that might improve if I use it more regularly. Thanks for your advice, hope weather holds out for me, at moment it’s looking like a good day.

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back