• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Gull is this? (1 Viewer)

Pluvius

I am not sure whether it is Common or Ring Billed. The legs seemed far too yellow for Common at this time of year.

Attachments

• gull.jpg
    gull.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 196
I think it's a Ring-billed. It looks a tiny bit chunky for a Common, and the two wee diamonds also lead me to Ring-billed. Aside from the bill ring of course! The legs are also yellowish, rather than greeny-yellow.

I would say Common, though there appears to be very few markings on the head for this time of year. I'nd wait for JANJ!

Hi,

My vote would be for Common Gull on this bird also. The mantle appears to dark for Ring-billed Gull also the broad tertial crescent and bill/head structure are all supportive of Common Gull.

Regards
Tristan

It´s a Common Gull Pluvius, just by looking at the wide tertial crescent and the obvious contrast with the grey of the tertials and upperparts, never seen on a Ring-billed which usually has diffuse tertial crescent and not contrastig due to paler upperparts. The bill looks rather short and thin with a thin dark band. Heavier bill with broader dark band in Ring-billed. Struckture more in line with Common Gull with a smallish rounded head, and although Ring-billed can look quite round headed it doesn´t appear quite like on the one here.

JanJ

...and the dark eye. Common Gull for me also. It's not that unusual to see apparent adults with 'banding' on the bill, a feature of 2nd yr birds.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back