• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Diamondback or Vortex Fury? (2 Viewers)

Solar Cycles

Right back to the drawing board after my Hawke Frontiers were deemed faulty, I've narrowed my search ( again ) to either the Diamondback 8x42, or the Fury 10x32. Now the Diamond back looks appealing and seems to have very good reviews, but one thing that worries me is the weight. That leaves the Fury, can find little info about it, apart from the one review on here. The weight of these falls under the 600g mark, and they appear to have some sort of dieletic coating which isn't available on the Diamondbacks. I am swayed by the Fury, especially as I can get them £ 10 cheaper than the Diamondbacks, but are they a better binocular, and would the dieletic coating make up for the smaller sized lens.

I don't know about the 8X or 10X, but there is no question that the 6.5X32 Fury is miles ahead of the 7X36 Diamondback.

Bruce

Right back to the drawing board after my Hawke Frontiers were deemed faulty, I've narrowed my search ( again ) to either the Diamondback 8x42, or the Fury 10x32. Now the Diamond back looks appealing and seems to have very good reviews, but one thing that worries me is the weight. That leaves the Fury, can find little info about it, apart from the one review on here. The weight of these falls under the 600g mark, and they appear to have some sort of dieletic coating which isn't available on the Diamondbacks. I am swayed by the Fury, especially as I can get them £ 10 cheaper than the Diamondbacks, but are they a better binocular, and would the dieletic coating make up for the smaller sized lens.

I'm not quite sure. I do have a Fury and I have a 10x32, but I don't have a Fury 10x32.
Those two binoculars are hard to compare since they have different magnification and very different exit pupil size.

I'd probably go with the DB 8x42.

//L

The Fury 6.5x32 is awesome and Zeiss does the 10x32 very well, but 10x32s in general are not easy to make.

I'm not quite sure. I do have a Fury and I have a 10x32, but I don't have a Fury 10x32.
Those two binoculars are hard to compare since they have different magnification and very different exit pupil size.

I'd probably go with the DB 8x42.

//L

The Fury 6.5x32 is awesome and Zeiss does the 10x32 very well, but 10x32s in general are not easy to make.
I was wondering whether the Fury with it's dieletic coating, would go some way into making up it's shortcomings on lens size. Also why aren't there many reviews on the Fury 8x or 10x, it appears on paper to be a cracking pair of binoculars.

the reason there are so many reviews on the 6.5x Fury is because of the recent blow-out sale prices. You can find plenty of reviews on 8x Fury's with some searching. For example, the Vortex Fury 8x32 was rated a best buy in this mid-sized bin review: http://birdwatching.com/optics/2010midsizebins/review_vortex_fury_8x32.html

the Fury's are better optically than the D'backs, and have better build quality (nice focus knob and rubber armor). Which makes sense as they are (were) a higher price point product in the Vortex lineup.

I was wondering whether the Fury with it's dieletic coating, would go some way into making up it's shortcomings on lens size. Also why aren't there many reviews on the Fury 8x or 10x, it appears on paper to be a cracking pair of binoculars.

I have the Fury 8x32 and its the binocular that I use most of the time now a great bin. I'm sure that they are silver coated though not dieletic. If it was my choice I would go for the Fury, can not be to many around now.

the reason there are so many reviews on the 6.5x Fury is because of the recent blow-out sale prices. You can find plenty of reviews on 8x Fury's with some searching. For example, the Vortex Fury 8x32 was rated a best buy in this mid-sized bin review: http://birdwatching.com/optics/2010midsizebins/review_vortex_fury_8x32.html

the Fury's are better optically than the D'backs, and have better build quality (nice focus knob and rubber armor). Which makes sense as they are (were) a higher price point product in the Vortex lineup.
Thanks for the link, I know the 10x DOV is lacking behind the 8x, but the 10x specs are still quite impressive. I guess I will have to trade light gathering, for weight and sharper optics with the 10x. If only they would make the perfect binocular at a rock bottom price.:-O

I'm sold, Fury it is then.|:D|

As has been stated, the Fury does not have dielectric prism coatings, but silver coated instead. The Fury has better prism coatings as well as AR lens coatings than the Diamondback series. Your comparison of an 8x42 vs a 10x32 is like apples and oranges since there is such a difference in magnification, FOV, DOF and EP. The 8x42 has a FOV of 420 ft and the 10x32 has a 336 ft FOV. Also the exit pupils are quite different at 5.2mm on the 8x42 vs 3.2mm for the 10x32. I doubt you would notice much of a difference in brightness between the two, but the 8x42 would certainly be more user friendly.
A more valid comparison would be the 8x32 Fury vs the 8x42 Diamondback.

Exactly my thought! The 5.25 mm exit pupil has an area 269% larger than the 3.2 mm, which is a substantial difference, to say the least.
The thought of the Fury 10x32 has crossed my mind but I'm pretty sure the 8x32 is better, not to mention the venerable 6.5x32 ;)

//L

I have an 8 x 42 Diamondback. It is a very good all purpose binocular and is a good buy for anyone looking for an inexpensive and reliable binocular.

It is very ruggedly built. I carried it around in my car for about a year and left it in the car overnight in all kinds of weather without any problems developing.

The focus wheel is exceptionally smooth and the eye relief is generous. There are brighter roof binoculars to be found, maybe for even under $200.00 but they would require other compromises.

It has a lot of pincushion which is probably required for it's 8 degree FOV. Edge sharpness is not good but can be dialed in easily. Sweet spot is about 60% of the center view and it is sharp enough.

I don't have problems with CA so I won't address it but I would expect a binocular in this price range could have some under ideal conditions for it.

It is a good binocular for someone who does not want to spend much money on a binocular; or for someone who has limited funds to spend on optics because it will travel well: Or for someone who wants one for a 2nd backup binocular, or a car binocular or one to keep by the window.:t:

Bob

PS: I forgot to add that Vortex has one of the best Warranties in the business and it is transferable.

Last edited:
I have the ZenRay ED2 8X43, the Minox BD10X44BP, and the 6.5X32 Fury. I wouldn't say that the Fury is outclassed optically to any significant degree by either the Zen or the Minox. The Zen and Minox are better in certain ways, but the Vortex are so well balanced and have such a wide comfortable view that if you had nothing else to compare them to you could easily talk yourself into believing that it doesn't get any better.

Bruce

I so agree. In fact if I didn't have the zen 7x36 I'd think I'd hit the fov mother-load with the Fury. I especially love the focuser on it, it's the smoothest by far of all my bins. The eyecups are super comfortable. The tubes are really well blackened. They are my back up for the Zen.

Last edited:
I've ordered the Fury 10x32 as the weight of these is significantly less than the Diamondbacks, this being an important factor as I suffer from a crushed vertebrae of the neck. Also I prefer a 10 x to a 8x, I think I've made the right choice, in a world full of too much choice for ditherers like me.

I've ordered the Fury 10x32 as the weight of these is significantly less than the Diamondbacks, this being an important factor as I suffer from a crushed vertebrae of the neck. Also I prefer a 10 x to a 8x, I think I've made the right choice, in a world full of too much choice for ditherers like me.

Have you tried a bino harness? I have one from Vortex and I use it daily now. Once used to them it's not fun to have one hanging from the neck. Plus they are great when bending over trying to get under things. No swinging bins.

Well they've arrived and today I managed to take them out for a trial run. First impressions and I'm impressed, much sharper and clearer than the the previous pair or my old Bressers, focusing is very impressive the slightest turn and they zoom right in. Colours are natural, some slight glare from sunlight around the edges but nothing more than any other bins I've looked through. The most thing that impressed though was just how sharp they was, this continuing to the edges. An alpha pair for a fraction of the costs.

Well they've arrived and today I managed to take them out for a trial run. First impressions and I'm impressed, much sharper and clearer than the the previous pair or my old Bressers, focusing is very impressive the slightest turn and they zoom right in. Colours are natural, some slight glare from sunlight around the edges but nothing more than any other bins I've looked through. The most thing that impressed though was just how sharp they was, this continuing to the edges. An alpha pair for a fraction of the costs.

I'm happy for you and looking forward to a more detailed review. The(ir) clockwise focuser is what I want in a binocular, which narrows down the search significantly. I had a faulty Hawke Frontier ED 10x36 for a day, I had a Nikon Monarch X 10.5x45 that had too much CA, then I bought the Victory FL 10x32 which is truly remarkable. Wonder what had happened if I had bought the Fury 10x32 first...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back