• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August moths (1 Viewer)

DMW

I guess I'll get the ball rolling. Trapped around 35 species in the garden MV last night - pretty much as expected after the recent cold weather. Among a generally mundane catch was this Scalloped Hook-tip, which was only the second Jersey record.

Attachments

• IMG_0998a.JPG
    IMG_0998a.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 70
A good start to August for me with 2 new moths already:

Endothenia marginana - in the trap;
Beautiful Yellow Underwing - found by day at Browndown north, near Gosport.

Dave W

Hummingbird Hawkmoth down the road yesterday hovering around a privet hedge. Not sure why it was so interested in it as it wasn't flowering. Third one down my road this year; the other 2 being in my garden- record year.

I had great hopes for last night but it turned out to be a Bryotropha domestica kind of night if you know what I mean. 5 Noctua species for the first time in one night. 45 species with maybe 4 new for the garden (see ID page). I'm creeping up to the 350 mark |:d|

Only 84 moths of 28 species last night, 32 of which were Common Rustic agg, the highest count of this species for the year. First Square-spot Rustic for the year as well. One thing about my more regular trapping this year is how interesting it's been to watch the transition between the predominant species. Hebrew Character-Epiphyas postvittana-Riband Wave and Heart and Dart-Bird Cherry Ermine-Common Rustic agg and now presumably Square-spot Rustic and Epiphyas again.

Respectable catch last night considering my location. 117 moths of 25 species, with three NFY - Pyralis farinalis, Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing and Copper Underwing. 53 of the rest were Common Rustic agg though.

Steve

Hummingbird Hawkmoth down the road yesterday hovering around a privet hedge. Not sure why it was so interested in it as it wasn't flowering. Third one down my road this year; the other 2 being in my garden- record year.

Hi
They will quite often go into dense vegetation, window shutters, etc., during the day to 'roost'.
Martin

Hi
They will quite often go into dense vegetation, window shutters, etc., during the day to 'roost'.
Martin

Cheers Martin, though its activity didn't seem to suggest it was going to roost- it was very active. Lovely to see nonetheless.

Sitting at home this lunchtime I noticed something bright out the corner of my eye, flitting about the garden. Dashing out into the garden I managed to locate what it was - a nice Jersey Tiger. Not unexpected in London (SW18) but a new species for the garden. Popped back in to get the camera and managed to get a couple of shots of it, while balanced on top of a step ladder as it was about 10ft up a tree.
Martin

Attachments

• DSCF3785 edit.jpg
    DSCF3785 edit.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 96
My biggest catch of the year last night, 164 moths of 34 species. Pride of place goes to one that had settled on the outside of the trap and evaded capture or being photographed - Palpita vitrealis, described as a scarce migrant to southern England so not bad in Leicestershire.

Next best was two Old Ladies together in one corner. Large Yellow Underwings made up 64 of the total.

Steve

Best moth for me last night was caloptilia populetorum, which I discovered by chance several hours after I had sorted out the trap.

Dave W

Had 2 lutescens form of Jersey Tiger in a garden near Wandsworth Common where they appear to have been resident for at least 3 seasons.

Two new for the garden last night were Cochylimorpha straminea and the Bulrush Wainscot pictured. Other recent NFG are Maiden's Blush, Pale Prominent and Cochylis dubitana. I've been averaging 30-40 species a night for the last couple of weeks which is good to average for my garden in August, certainly nothing to complain about. Not that many micros at the moment.

We had a Hummingbird Hawk Moth in the conservatory this afternoon while I was at work. Shame I missed it as I've never seen one at rest. My wife got a picture to tease me with. I really must get the hoover on those cobwebs.

Attachments

• DSCN1690 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN1690 (1024x768).jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN1696 (800x634).jpg
    DSCN1696 (800x634).jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
A quiet night, but a lovely lifer to bring up my 450th:

robhope

UK Lepidoptera 450 (Tree-lichen Beauty Cryphia algae), UK Plants 412 (Nottingham Catchfly) & UK Birds 236 (Black-winged Stilt)

Attachments

• Tree-lichen Beauty Cryphia algae (640x480).jpg
    Tree-lichen Beauty Cryphia algae (640x480).jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 74
Fairly steady so far this month, about 25-30 species typically, but nothing in large numbers. Year-list now 234. Three lifers so far in August - Toadflax Pug, Agonopterix yeatiana and Matilella fusca.

Above totals are for macros and micros combined; can't remember if others just include macros in their quoted totals, but I do vaguely recall asking this before, so I really should know ...:smoke:

I'm up to 242 for the year so far (macros and micros) so pretty similar. Cold last night and just 20 species. Straw Underwings, Cypress Pugs and Square-spot Rustics are appearing. Willow Beauty numbers are on the rise, 18 last night around the trap with only a couple inside. They rarely venture into the trap. I must have missed a lot of moths when I first started trapping by not searching in the immediate vicinity. Now I look into every nook and cranny within 10 feet or so of the light. A lot of the more interesting moths I see are found this way.

Woke up this morning to find an Old Lady resting in the corner of the bedroom. Presumably wandered in during the night at some stage.

Jersey Tiger invasion!!

In the last week I've been invaded by Jersey Tigers: largest count was 182 in one night - the photo shows around 90 in view before I opened the trap.

The Gold Spot is from Wicken Fen and the Epinotia ramella was NFG last night

Regards

James

Attachments

• jersey-tiger-aug-2015.jpg
    jersey-tiger-aug-2015.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 98
  • gold-spot-aug-2015.jpg
    gold-spot-aug-2015.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 64
  • epinotia-ramella-aug-2015.jpg
    epinotia-ramella-aug-2015.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 61
In the last week I've been invaded by Jersey Tigers: largest count was 182 in one night - the photo shows around 90 in view before I opened the trap.

James

Incredible! I've only ever seen one....

Out of interest, James, your strip lights have a shield below them. Are they UV lights, and if so does the shield serve a purpose please? Just curious if I'm missing a trick.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back