• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bee (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
Hi, I have been trying to ID some bees on a Ceanothus in our garden. Unfortunately they are never still for a moment so I've not managed any very helpful photos. But I wonder if there's any clue as to what they are. They're not very big - perhaps just over a cm.
Thanks,
Ken
(I'm in Surrey and they were taken today, 5th May.)

Attachments

• IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 22
The left hand one looks like Bombus pratorum. Can't see the face on the other but probably either B. hortorum which is fairly common in gardens, but seeing you're in Surrey-if you're near heathland maybe B. jonellus which has a shorter face than the previous species.

thanks Aeshna. I'm in east Surrey, miles from any heathland, so I will go with B hortorum. Have you any tips on photographing them? I wonder if it's worth trying to pot them, temporarily.

thanks Aeshna. I'm in east Surrey, miles from any heathland, so I will go with B hortorum. Have you any tips on photographing them? I wonder if it's worth trying to pot them, temporarily.

Though I have a camera I don't consider myself a photographer & mainly use it overseas so not qualified to help here.

The left hand one looks like Bombus pratorum. Can't see the face on the other but probably either B. hortorum which is fairly common in gardens, but seeing you're in Surrey-if you're near heathland maybe B. jonellus which has a shorter face than the previous species.

Agree with both dets

I would go more towards the second one being jonellus, as mentioned above, they are shorter faced and are always on my Ceanothus, but I've never seen the longer faced hortorum on this plant. Secondly the size of the bee against the flower suggest jonellus which is always smaller than hortorum by some margin.
Many hortorum are only just at the start of their nesting cycle, whereas jonellus has been out for a number of weeks and nests are well established. Also, bear in mind that jonellus is NOT tied to heathland despite the pointless/misleading 'English' name.
I have a friend who has spent many years working on Bumblebees and has informed me in the past that he has studied nests of jonellus on Romney Marsh (nowhere near any significant heathland), the Somerset Levels and, more importantly Salisbury Plain the largest area of chalk grassland in southern England. He's also mentioned in the past seeing male jonellus in the first week of May as a testament to their early season while hortorum queens often only emerge in late April to coincide with the first flush of White Dead-nettle flowers which seem to be quite an important early forage resource when other plants with long flower tubes are in relatively short supply.

Hope this helps.

I've been trying to take some more photos - with mixed success. But I'll post a few to see if it helps.
First the ones with the white rear ends.

Attachments

• IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0449.JPG
    IMG_0449.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 12
Now the ones with the reddish bums... though they are still not the greatest shots, I apologise. I didn't notice much of a size difference although there was one appreciably larger example of the white bums.
Ken

Attachments

• IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 10
I had another go at photoing the ones with the white rear ends. I wish they would stay still for a second! Does this enable a firm ID?

Attachments

• IMG_0496.JPG
    IMG_0496.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 12
Thanks, Walter. So that means I have had B pratorum, B jonellus and B hypnorum. I've also seen a single example of a larger species. Again I've struggled with photos. But I think it could be B hypnorum again?

Attachments

• IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 9
I had another go at photoing the ones with the white rear ends. I wish they would stay still for a second! Does this enable a firm ID?

but this one does not seem to have rear thoracic yellow band, I would not be so confident that this was jonellus on this view.

There was a larger one - perhaps 15mm briefly present in our garden. It had a prominent white rear. Sorry about the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 8
There was a larger one - perhaps 15mm briefly present in our garden. It had a prominent white rear. Sorry about the photos.

Presumably hortorum, but too blurry. Try potting one, cooling in fridge for a bit and then photograph. BTW do you live close to the kind of extensive habitat where jonellus occurs? ie calcareous grassland, fenland, heathland (presumably not moor or coastal marshes in Surrey). B. jonellus is a scarce species in SE England (outside Dungeness area) so well worth getting a definitive shot.

https://www.bwars.com/bee/apidae/bombus-jonellus

Presumably hortorum, but too blurry. Try potting one, cooling in fridge for a bit and then photograph. BTW do you live close to the kind of extensive habitat where jonellus occurs? ie calcareous grassland, fenland, heathland (presumably not moor or coastal marshes in Surrey). B. jonellus is a scarce species in SE England (outside Dungeness area) so well worth getting a definitive shot.

https://www.bwars.com/bee/apidae/bombus-jonellus

Hi, Ficedula,
I live in SE Surrey. We are some distance from any heathland. Ashdown Forest is the nearest extensive heathland, about 20 minutes' drive away. The nearest calcareous grassland is probably the North Downs, also about 8 miles north of us.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back