• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will More Megapixels Help Me Here? (1 Viewer)

Similar in camera crop has been found in Panasonic cameras for a long time. They only work in that camera if you are using jpg for saving, not in RAW mode. Given my preference for RAW I do not use the crop modes. Those who have used the crop modes have reported more precise focusing on small subjects at a distance when using the crop compared to not using it.

Niels

I do quite a bit of bug photography and I find that by minimising the optical zoom and using the digital crop, I get better results if I can't quite get close enough to use macro.

For example, if I can get within say 30cm, I'll zoom in to say 20% of max and concentrate on getting the sharpest image I can from that distance instead of zooming all the way in. What I end up with once digitally cropped is usually much better than a fully zoomed image plus crop.

A

HeadWest ,

As I see it, your choices (for a given minimum BIF, quality, reach benchmark) are going to come down to 3 things - weight/size/cost.

1. Sony 1" 20MP RX-10 IV 24-600mm f2.4-f4 ..... 1.1kg ..... 145mm length .... 1700 USD.
2. Nikon APS-C 24MP D7200 (765gr/$900) + Nikon 300 PF f4 (=450mm equiv.) 755gr ..... 1.5kg ..... ~205mm length ..... 2900 USD total. NB. using 1.3x in-camera crop gives 585mm equiv. f4 @14.2 MP
3. Nikon APS-C 24MP D7200 (765gr/$900) + Nikon 300 PF f4 (755gr) + Nikon 1.4x TC III (=630mm equiv. @f5.6) ..... 1.7kg ..... ~230mm length ..... 3400 USD total. NB. using 1.3x in-camera crop gives 820mm equiv. f5.6 @14.2 MP
4. Nikon APS-C 24MP D7200 (765gr/$900) + Nikon 200-500 f4.5-f5.6 (=300mm-750mm equiv.) 2300gr ..... 3.1kg ..... ~325mm length ..... 2300 USD total. NB. using 1.3x in-camera crop gives 390mm-975mm equiv. f5.6 @14.2 MP

Compare these to your suggestion of the D7200 + 80-400:
5. Nikon APS-C 24MP D7200 (765gr/$900) + Nikon 80-400 f4.5-f5.6 (=120mm-600mm equiv.) 1570gr ..... 2.3kg ..... ~260mm length ..... 3200 USD total. NB. using 1.3x in-camera crop gives 155mm-780mm equiv. f5.6 @14.2 MP

Chosun :gh:

Just an update - I went with option 5: D7200 + 80-400 f4.5-5.6. I was tempted to go with the 200-500mm lens, but went and tried it out and it was just too big for what I wanted to carry around. Especially since often times I also have a scope with me. I also really did not like how much you have to turn the zoom ring on the 200-500mm. To go from wide to full zoom, you can't do it with one wrist turn. You have to grip and turn, release, grip and turn more. Just didn't like that.

I didn't really consider option 3 (300mm f4 PF + TC). I kind of wish I had now that I look at it. I think I'd prefer the range that comes with the zoom, but that's a nice light option.

After a couple days in the field with the new rig, I am very happy. It feels generations ahead of what I was using before. The AF is so fast, and images are so so sharp. And the d7200 itself. Great camera, so far at least. Shooting is much more fun and much less frustrating. Thanks again everyone.

Just an update - I went with option 5: D7200 + 80-400 f4.5-5.6. I was tempted to go with the 200-500mm lens, but went and tried it out and it was just too big for what I wanted to carry around. Especially since often times I also have a scope with me. I also really did not like how much you have to turn the zoom ring on the 200-500mm. To go from wide to full zoom, you can't do it with one wrist turn. You have to grip and turn, release, grip and turn more. Just didn't like that.

I didn't really consider option 3 (300mm f4 PF + TC). I kind of wish I had now that I look at it. I think I'd prefer the range that comes with the zoom, but that's a nice light option.

After a couple days in the field with the new rig, I am very happy. It feels generations ahead of what I was using before. The AF is so fast, and images are so so sharp. And the d7200 itself. Great camera, so far at least. Shooting is much more fun and much less frustrating. Thanks again everyone.

As someone who has had a D7200 for over a year now, I have to agree it is a great camera - I'm sure you'll continue to feel the same way about it.

Although I commended the 300mm PF, you make a good point that the 80-400 will be more versatile with its zoom range - just as there are times when I need more reach than a 300, there are other times (like close-in dolphins on a pelagic for example) when I wished I could've zoomed out.

Hope you enjoy your new kit!

Great choice with the D7200 :t:

Being happy and having fun is what it is all about - enjoy! :) o:)

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back