• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (2 Viewers)

Just a little update from the facebook page last weeks (week ending 29th september) sightings from the hide (I was not on site so must be taken as reported to the people in the hide)

house martin (80+), canada goose (42), coot, cormorant (4), mallard, little grebe (5), BH gull (50+), wood pigeon, lapwing (50), tufted ducks (35), mute swan, pochard (8), magpie, goosander, dunnock (3), great tit, teal (25), moorhen, starling (10), jay, great crested grebe, gadwall (3), heron, buzzard, snipe (6), shoveler (6), swallow (6), goldfinch (5), sand martin, LBB gull, bullfinch, great tit, sparrowhawk, grey wagtail, snipe (4), buzzard, magpie, crow, kestrel,v stock dove

Also on the reserve:
house sparrow, mistle thrush, long tailed tit

There were two 'reports' today from the Sandwell valley area, one flying west over the M5 this morning, then reported on Swan Pool this afternoon. A very typical 'little info' report from the valley.....
MB

Spoke to a friend that used to visit the Sandwell Valley Rspb & Swan Pool regular until around 4 months ago they said the GWE was on Swan Pool for just a few minutes before leaving heading towards the motorway

So guess I won't (well not at the moment) be going thier tomorrow still need one for my lifers list though so any updates would be welcome

Just checked Birdguides and it was seen this morning, and again this afternoon at Swan pool.......which surprises me a bit considering how much disturbance from dog walkers there usually is around there.

Visited today and must say thier had been some pruning done since my last visit the main island in front of the hide has been strimmed right down, they could have left an area uncut so as to allow snipe to rest upon the island but can't have everything so here goes with today's species seen at the valley today and a few surprises within the species list -

Grey Heron, Magpie, Teal, Little Grebe (1adult & 3 Juv's), Pochard, Gadwall, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Cormorant, Shoveler, Great Crested Grebe, Robin, Green Finch, Bull Finch, Chaffinch, Great Tit, Carrion Crow, Wood Pigeon, Mute Swan, Canada Goose, Mallard, Coot, Redwing (in the field with the cattle just over the road from the farm), Tufted Duck, Black Headed Gull, Blackbird, Buzzard, Lapwing, Blue tit, Moorhen, Harris Hawk, Barn Owl, Kestrel, Little Owl, Red Tailed Hawk & European Eagle Owl

Now I know people will not believe some of the species on this list but trust me they where there.

EDIT -

The Harris Hawk, Barn Owl, European Eagle Owl, Kestrel, Red Tailed Hawk & Little Owl were in the farmyard and part of a display for later in the day

Sorry folks forgot about the captive bird rule will not be doing it again and I appologise if anyone got upset didn't mean any harm

Kind Regards

Adrian

Attachments

• CANADA GOOSE (85).JPG
    CANADA GOOSE (85).JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 112
  • CANADA GOOSE (88).JPG
    CANADA GOOSE (88).JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 124
  • MALLARD (5).JPG
    MALLARD (5).JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
2 Egyptian Goose (a pair) were still there from 10.30am to when I was there around 5pm, they flew off around to the big island near the railway, but not sure if they did take off or if their still there.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 153
Had a change today and visited Sandwell Valley RSPB arrived in the pitch dark at around 7.20am no one else as daft as me (no one else around) headed straight for the main pool as I could hear a lot of noise coming from that direction.

When I arrived I was quite surprised to see so many birds around counts will be put on here later but amongst the Canada Geese and Black Headed Gulls were Goosander, Wigeon, Pochard & Lapwing

The Water level was extremely high after 24hours of continued rain and the weather was a little chilly and rain in the air but that didn’t spoil my day

The species list and counts (where done) for today –

Blackbird, Robin, Canada goose (140+), Mute Swan (2), Mallard (48), Goosander (28 including 11 female), Coot, Jay, Shoveler (8), Teal, Magpie, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Wood Pigeon, Carrion Crow, Gadwall, Rook, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Grey Heron, Tufted Duck, Lapwing, Moorhen, Pochard (20), Black Headed Gull, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Wigeon (8), Chiffchaff, Greenfinch, Dunnock, Common Snipe, Starling, Goldeneye (f), Little Grebe, Long Tailed Tit, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant (5), Lesser Black Backed Gull, Herring Gull, Kingfisher, Coal Tit & Willow/Marsh Tit

Chffchaff was seen as you go past the Old Club House and through the main gate just bare off to the left behind the bench it was on top of the bushes just there.

43 species seen in all not a bad day for a dull wet chilly one.

Kind Regards

Adrian

Last edited:
Photographsd from yesterdays visit to Sandwell Valley RSPB, Please bare in mind that lighting was poor and it was raining (fine wet stuff) for most of the morning.
Most of these are only record shots but I would like help naming the Gull Species and also could someone tell me if the Tit is a Marsh Or Willow please.

1 view of the rain approaching
2 Canada Goose & mixed duck
3 a small group of Pochard
4 willow or marsh tit
5 Female Bullfinch & Great tit

Attachments

• DSC_1800.JPG
    DSC_1800.JPG
    374.6 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_1817.JPG
    DSC_1817.JPG
    437.2 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_1833.JPG
    DSC_1833.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_1877.JPG
    DSC_1877.JPG
    383.5 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC_1891.JPG
    DSC_1891.JPG
    350.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
A few more same as above Please willow tit or marsh tit and photograph 4 is ?

1 & 2 Willow/Marsh Tit
3 Great Tit
4 ?
5 Wigeon

Attachments

• DSC_1912.JPG
    DSC_1912.JPG
    382.2 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_1914.JPG
    DSC_1914.JPG
    328.6 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC_1918.JPG
    DSC_1918.JPG
    423.1 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC_1941.JPG
    DSC_1941.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC_1962.JPG
    DSC_1962.JPG
    362.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
a few more these are only to show rthat I did see the birds as some peoople do question the truth as to this location of the species seen, I did have number 4 down as Lesser Black Backed Gull but after looking at it again is it a Herring Gull or something else?

Photograph number 1 is the best I could get of the female Goldeneye as she was to far away and just wouldn't stop diving sorry about the quality

1 Female Goldeneye
2 Gadwell
3 Black headed gull
4 ?
5 Teal

Attachments

• DSC_1970.JPG
    DSC_1970.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_1983.JPG
    DSC_1983.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_2008.JPG
    DSC_2008.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_2031.JPG
    DSC_2031.JPG
    372.5 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC_2037.JPG
    DSC_2037.JPG
    335.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Keep going Gull Identification please I do have Black Headed Gull already but not sure about the rest

1 Goosander
2 Cormorant & Black headed gull
3 Black Headed gull & ?
4 Black Headed gull & ?
5 Black Headed gull & ?

Attachments

• DSC_2054.JPG
    DSC_2054.JPG
    397.4 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC_2108.JPG
    DSC_2108.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_2114.JPG
    DSC_2114.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_2125.JPG
    DSC_2125.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_2131.JPG
    DSC_2131.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Last few now if I have any of the sopecies named incorrect please don't be affraid to correct me as this does help theank you

Adrian

1 Great Crested Grebe
2 ?
3 Coot
4 The Beautiful Mallard (so underrated in the UK)
5 Tufted Duck

Attachments

• DSC_2164.JPG
    DSC_2164.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC_2193.JPG
    DSC_2193.JPG
    386 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_2207.JPG
    DSC_2207.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_2219.JPG
    DSC_2219.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_2238.JPG
    DSC_2238.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Gulls

Last few now if I have any of the sopecies named incorrect please don't be affraid to correct me as this does help theank you

Adrian

1 Great Crested Grebe
2 ?
3 Coot
4 The Beautiful Mallard (so underrated in the UK)
5 Tufted Duck

Hi Adrian,
Your Gulls are Herring Gulls, Gulls with a lot of birwatchers are equal to kids and eating cabbage. John

Sandwell

Photographsd from yesterdays visit to Sandwell Valley RSPB, Please bare in mind that lighting was poor and it was raining (fine wet stuff) for most of the morning.
Most of these are only record shots but I would like help naming the Gull Species and also could someone tell me if the Tit is a Marsh Or Willow please.

1 view of the raion approaching
2 Canada Goose & mixed duck
3 a small group of Pochard
4 willow or marsh tit
5 Female Bullfinch & Great tit

Pale wing panel Willow Tit. John

Sandwell

a few more these are only to show rthat I did see the birds as some peoople do question the truth as to this location of the species seen, I did have number 4 down as Lesser Black Backed Gull but after looking at it again is it a Herring Gull or something else?

Photograph number 1 is the best I could get of the female Goldeneye as she was to far away and just wouldn't stop diving sorry about the quality

1 Female Goldeneye
2 Gadwell
3 Black headed gull
4 ?
5 Teal

1 too blured but not female Goldeneye.
4 Sub Adult Great Black Back Gull. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back