• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this over sharpened ? (1 Viewer)

Hi Roy, I use a 19" inch CRT and the image looks a trifle overdone, I can see glistening on some feather points which to me is oversharpened but as Keith said this varies from person to person.

Robert

PS I wear glasses with bulls eye lenses.

only joking about that LOL.

Roy, Get under that old mattress and get some money out ! I am surprised that you think that to get a replacement for your CRT will cost £1K. I feel fairly certain that somebody like BenQ or similar would fulfil your needs.

Clearly not, because I've not heard of this. Could you point me in the direction of a reference or website that may be useful?

Unfortunately Clive I don’t,

All I use is the old knowledge of additive or subtractive colour, which was drummed into me at an early age.

I’m sure that there will be still old colour photographic printing books out there for reference. But, you would then have to amalgamate those colour theories into today’s digital processing.

Do you really want to start learning a technique that is second nature to me?

And to honest if you read the digital colour ‘guru’s’ a technique well passed its sell by date!

I think that it’s down to the individual on how they handle their own images, and to whatever degree of alteration they deem necessary.

The proviso to that would be if I had paid for the image then I feel at liberty to correct it.

I think that it’s down to the individual on how they handle their own images, and to whatever degree of alteration they deem necessary.

The proviso to that would be if I had paid for the image then I feel at liberty to correct it.

Clearly you know the game and technicalities far better than I will ever know but if it is agreed that photography is an 'art', isn't your last comment like saying to Piccasso 'I want to buy your picture but I'm going to correct it'?

I could say more but I'm not going to dig myself into a deeper hole than the one I've just made:-O

Clearly you know the game and technicalities far better than I will ever know but if it is agreed that photography is an 'art', isn't your last comment like saying to Piccasso 'I want to buy your picture but I'm going to correct it'? -O

Photography is one of many skilled art forms; I think that there has been a progressive ‘dumbing down’ of skill levels for many years. There are many reasons for this mainly commercial.

The Picasso argument is semantics, if you asked a painter and decorator to paint the outside of your house white and he paints it green, then you have the right to question why.

My CRT monitor broke down a few months back and since then I have been really unhappy with the results I get with my new LCD monitor. Saying that the shot of the great tit looks fine, as does the robin.

When you guys talk about sharpening, are you referring to Unsharp Mask or the basic Sharpen filter? I attended a short beginners digital photography course and the tutor recommended I use Unsharp Mask at around 110%, with a radius of 2 pixels and a threshold of 1. Hence I have been using these settings on virtually all my pictures, I know this is probably incorrect, can someone clarify what the 110%, 2 pixel radius and threshold settings actually do?

Photography is one of many skilled art forms; I think that there has been a progressive ‘dumbing down’ of skill levels for many years. There are many reasons for this mainly commercial.

The Picasso argument is semantics, if you asked a painter and decorator to paint the outside of your house white and he paints it green, then you have the right to question why.

There may well be a dumbing down of skill levels over the years. I am not qualified to say. However my Picasso argument is not semantics. I made an anology which , I think , fits your original comment. The analogy you presented has added the variable of a commisioned job where the brief is pre set, and in that regard, I would of course agree with you entirely. Having said that, I do wonder if you had two master printers preparing the same image for print, using the same type of equipment etc, would they end up with two slightly different results? The point I am making is that at some point, be it in regard to colour, contrast , sharpening etc, is it still not a subjective judgement? And further I wonder if all calibrators perform exactly the same?

Sorry Roy if it seems that I have departed a little from your original question but I do think there is a relevant point here.

I do wonder if you had two master printers preparing the same image for print, using the same type of equipment etc, would they end up with two slightly different results?

AD,

Yes, there would be two different results, based on what we regard as ‘commercially acceptable’. There are lots of factors too many to list which effect that statement.

Skill level is undoubtedly near the top as well as being close to the bottom.

If we take photography, there is a huge demand for easy ‘click on’ software to solve our image ‘problems’, be it out of focus pictures to noise in images, etc. We clearly require programmers to correct our faults.

People are altering images without really understand the what’s and why’s. The results of this manipulation can be seen daily all around us.

Now, these ‘operators’ are using similar equipment and software. But the basic photographic principles have not and never will change.

I might have an over critical eye, but I’m sure other people in other trades must see the ‘DIY’ that goes on in their profession and despair.

Your analogy over Picasso is the wrong one to use because the purchaser is buying into a life style, investment, snob value, etc, they’re not buying a picture to vandalise. But, if you used mine and commissioned Picasso to paint your house, then you might have reason to complain…. After you had sold it!

I'm a newb so anything I say does not mean alot. Roy I think that both
images of the same bird in jpg and RAW look good in there own way. I think
its a bit like the guys saying, I want a 400 lens no a 600 how about the 800.
This thing about sharpening a image, thats all I want the sharpest image you
can get at the moment, but I suppose as I learn more about processing or
about not processing to much, I might become a better photographer. BTW I
am on a Laptop which must be LCD yes I have glasses I'm over 65

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back