• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wasp Nest (1 Viewer)

Saphire

Christine
We are having a new roof put on the house, and this was found underneath the tiles. apparently its 3ft from top to bottom and about 2 ft across. The roofers have left it there so it looks like we will have to go into the loft to remove it. Do you think there is any danger this time of year.

Attachments

• WaspNest.210108sm.jpg
    WaspNest.210108sm.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 094WaspNest.210108.jpg
    094WaspNest.210108.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 78
No, the only thing that will be in the nest now is parasites of the wasps (fly larvae etc) and maybe some dead/unhatched larvae from last year (all sorts of goodies to discover if you feel like it!). Just rake it out into a bag or something, you'll be ok.

All workers, males and the old queen die off in autumn/late winter. The new queens disperse away from the nest to find hibernation places for overwintering. The surviving queens start new colonies the next spring.

Looking at the colour and size, it will probably be the nest of Vespula vulgaris - the common wasp. Only V. vulgaris and Vespa crabro (hornets) have beige colour nests. The other species nests are usually grey.

Last edited:
Thank you Wildwood now I can't wait to have it down where I can have a closer look. It will have to be cut in two halves as it goes around a downpost. The photos were only taken with a compact camera I didn't want to risk my 40d in the hands of the builders in case they slipped going up the ladders.

Unfortunately the roofers tried to take the nest down and it was just to fragile and it went to dust, apart from two small pieces. One 5" round which looks like it came from the very tip and a flat piece 12" x 6" wide. I took a macro shot of a Wasp which never made it past getting out of the cocoon and one of the intricate cells..

Attachments

• 021Waspnest220108.jpg
    021Waspnest220108.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 049Waspnest220108.jpg
    049Waspnest220108.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I concur with Wildwood (although without the technical details).
We had a wasps nest and called out the council-they explained about the wasps 'moving on' each year-so we left it and sure enough they went.
I'm hoping none of the offspring decide to go back and vist their grand parents old home!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back