• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (2 Viewers)

Nice one Richard :t:

Thanks for all the congrats folks, our house is hosting a twitch, French style! Luckily I had some peanuts and local sparkling to help the observers celebrate, mugs of tea and biscuits don’t cut the mustard over here;)

Attachments

• 8D6D9914-6B97-4471-8E18-B462B60B1862.jpg
    8D6D9914-6B97-4471-8E18-B462B60B1862.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 50
Had a slightly larger turn out for my ''Bash'' Richard, however I think PB is aesthetically a better bird!

Had a great bird on Wednesday, unfortunately it was c 80m from the garden in the wood behind, first one I've had really ''good views'' of for about five years, a male Lesser Spotted Woodpecker replete with a red top and loadza white barring on the back! To compound the misery of not seeing it from the house (I did try:eek!:) the shutter burst that I took....were all out of focus big-time!

Today I had only my second ever ''on the furniture'' in 36 years, still living in hope.

Attachments

• P2080586.jpeg   Grey Heron 15' from Bed.Window.jpeg
    P2080586.jpeg Grey Heron 15' from Bed.Window.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 30
Well, my hopes were beginning to dwindle of me adding any more to the garden list this year, and then as we walked back into the garden after a walk to the mailbox, looked up and saw
78 Golden Eagle
Whoop! Having seen at least one passing through the area in the past few Novembers, this was one of those birds that I've half-expected for a while, just had to be in the right place at the right time.
A juvenile, with lovely white patches on the wings - and none of the tell-tale white 'armpits' of the Juvenile Balds in the area.

That makes 107 on the all-time garden list, in just over 5 years here. Three new additions this year (so far!).

I've still got a ways to go to catch up with my previous yearly high-score. But hopes are alive once again!

Two

79: Goosander

past this am.

Me too H, just the one and Northward bound!....however I nearly acquired an uninvited guest, thankfully the window was closed. :eek!:

Attachments

• P2090579.jpeg   Fem.Goosander North.jpeg
    P2090579.jpeg Fem.Goosander North.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 39
  • P2090586.jpeg   head on Sprawk.jpeg
    P2090586.jpeg head on Sprawk.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 40
Ist December is when I have a desperate look through my notes to see if I've forgotten to include anything (found Common Kestrel upon doing this exercise last year), sadly in our first two years here we didn't see anything to add in December. Remarkably consistent figures here though, 87 in 2017, 86 last year and on 85 currently, the life garden list stands at 98 with two new ones this year, Northern Wheatear and Pine Bunting.B :)
I just found my comments on 1st December last year on the 2018 thread, perhaps I should set up a stall at the local market as a fortune-teller:
At the 30th November we're on 85 for the year, last year we finished the year on 87 but added none in December, I'm racking my brains to think what might turn up (not heard Pygmy or Tengmalm's Owls this autumn locally so they're unlikely), still grilling the Yellowhammers in case a Pine Bunting nips over the Alps from southern Switzerland................

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 4th

75. Bullfinch - one calling as it flew north high overhead but couldn't see it.

Another one I didn't realise was new until eBird showed it as new for the year.

Steve

Whats happening in here?!? :eek!: Gannets and Pine Buntings in (or from) gardens!?! |8.|:brains: Congratulations to you both! :t::clap:

Last weekend I manage to get two new ones:

#75. Redpoll - Only one with one Siskin. It was so weird that at first I didn't realize it was a garden year tick. But when I checked the next species...
#76. Coal Tit - ...my books I noticed that I got two new ticks, which is quite amazing in this time of year.

Also the Rowan berries are disappearing really fast...

Attachments

• abaaP1260779.jpg
    abaaP1260779.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 22
  • abaaP1270005.jpg
    abaaP1270005.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 26
  • abaaP1260845.jpg
    abaaP1260845.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 26
  • abaaP1270028.jpg
    abaaP1270028.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 28
Early morning vigil for Woodcock instead produced a low-flying

80: MERLIN !!

I suspect this could be my final total...

Whats happening in here?!? :eek!: Gannets and Pine Buntings in (or from) gardens!?! |8.|:brains: Congratulations to you both! :t::clap:

Last weekend I manage to get two new ones:

#75. Redpoll - Only one with one Siskin. It was so weird that at first I didn't realize it was a garden year tick. But when I checked the next species...
#76. Coal Tit - ...my books I noticed that I got two new ticks, which is quite amazing in this time of year.

Also the Rowan berries are disappearing really fast...

Waxwings as well Wari! I suspect they’re regular visitors to your garden? FWIW your Redpoll looks interesting! Common at least? :t:

Waxwings as well Wari! I suspect they’re regular visitors to your garden? FWIW your Redpoll looks interesting! Common at least? :t:

Waxwings is most often seen in the fall and early winter, sometimes in late winter or early spring. But in mid-winter and especially in summer, you never see them. I guess they are in the forests of the north.
This year has been good for Rowans, so a lots of Waxwings and Fieldfares are around. I'm still waiting for the Pine Grosbeaks to come.

Yeah, I also noticed that that Redpolls underside is quite white and only few stripes on sides, but I couldn't saw the backside well, so I can't say if it might been Arctic... :h?:

Too late for a passing Merlin for here now and I’ve not seen a Redpoll anywhere this year, most embarrassing! I planted a Rowan but it will be a few years before it attains Waxwing-attracting capability :C
One unexpected visitor today, a smart male Serin, all fluffed up against the cold, very unusual in mid-winter at this altitude.

Sparrowhawk added to the Cornwall garden list a few weeks back ...

... down in France again now, provisionally until the 18th. Pretty quiet birdwise, although did have a solitary Fieldfare chak-chaking disconsolately from the top of the Acacia tree outside this morning ...

My final contribution for the year, departing the country today.

Pygmy Owl remains active, but also a couple of late additions to the list in the last week or so, one Coal Tit at the feeders and a very late Woodcock, my first ever winter individual. Also unusual for winter, two Grey Herons and a superb 30 Whooper Swans over, my largest single flock.

131. Woodcock
132. Coal Tit

Am still on a roll:eek!: Still in shock only the 2nd one I’ve ever had almost surreal, casually heading South before veering West (looking lost) at canopy height a White-Fronted Goose. no.87.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back