• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it Eurasian Kestrel or ... ? (Leyte, Philippines) (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Hi there,

Another bad photo of raptor. In the field, it looked like a kestrel, although a bit narrow-winged, especially at base. With the photo, I don't figure out what else it can be than Falco tinnunculus. This is, however, a potentially new species for the island, so I prefer to have a second look.

I'm not familiar with the ssp seen in the Philippines, F. t. interstinctus, another reason to ask confirmation.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Falco_tinnunculus1.JPG
    Falco_tinnunculus1.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 139
It looks like a Northern Hobby to me.

If you see a hobby on that, it might mean that the photo is really too poor to be identified. Let's wait other comments, but it was 100% kestrel, just wanna check if the photos are enough to exclude other (possible?) species or if we can confirm Eurasian.

Attachments

• Falco_tinnunculus2.JPG
    Falco_tinnunculus2.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 62
Another for Kestrel - looks like Eurasian/Common, but is Nankeen possible? (Not that it looks like one, but I can't remember the distinguishing features).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back