• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (5 Viewers)

Help! Id - loc. Moscow

Hello!
In the early morning (7 o'clock) of the 7th and the 8th of November while walking with my dog, I heard birds' sounds. I had never heard such sounds before in my region. They came from a territory of the nearby school. I could not see them properly, but I can defenitely can that there were two of them and they were running, and I didn't see them flying. I recorded their sounds, so here they are. Please, help me to identify what bird they belong to🙏
P. S. these sounds were almost the only one the birds produced, so they might be characteristic.

Attachments

• какой-то птиц 2.mp3
    81.6 KB · Views: 15
Hello!
In the early morning (7 o'clock) of the 7th and the 8th of November while walking with my dog, I heard birds' sounds. I had never heard such sounds before in my region. They came from a territory of the nearby school. I could not see them properly, but I can defenitely can that there were two of them and they were running, and I didn't see them flying. I recorded their sounds, so here they are. Please, help me to identify what bird they belong to🙏

P. S. these sounds were almost the only one the birds produced, so they might be characteristic.

My guess would be a Partridge Species :t:

Hello!

I think this message has turned up in the wrong thread. Could one of the Mods move it to one where there's more likely to be a positive ID?

P.S., I think I'd agree with Dave that it's likely to be a gamebird.

Cheers

Had an hour or so looking for the Yellowhammers with Pete this morning. No sign, but not the best conditions. 45 Stock Dove (FMF), 15 Pied Wag (Brown’s) and 24 Lapwing over FML were the only things of note.per Matt Hadlington
Good Birding YAMYAM

Year lists as of 10/11/18

overall Valley year list on 148

White Wagtail, Greenland Wheatear not included in Total

Dave Saunders -129 Yellowhammer
Pete Hackett -126 Yellowhammer
John Clarke -119 Yellowhammer
Matt Hadlington -115 Mandarin
Mike Ixer- 112 Yellowhammer
Hughie King -110 Yellowhammer
Wali Taylor -109 Tawny Owl
Craig Reed -109 Barnacle Goose
Rob Preston-108 Garganey
Mel Jones-108 Rock pipit
Dave Waite- 104 Yellowhammer
Steve Lilly -102 Yellowhammer
Terry Parker -95 Whinchat
Carl Seabode -93 Jack Snipe
Richard Eyers- 83 Pintail
Adrian Kirton -81 Buzzard
Tony Johnson - 81 Pintail

Good Birding YAMYAM

Yellowhammer

The first documented record was in 1944; in 1952 the estimated breeding population was 83 pairs. By the mid eighties the population was down to about 15 pairs, in the late eighties winter flocks were in the Hundreds but by the nineties winter numbers had dropped down to around the thirty mark, by the year 2000 breeding was still taking place but max flock was only 11 birds, in 2001 birds were present in the breeding season and the max flock was 16 birds seen in the October, there were 3 pairs in 2002, and birds present in the breeding season in 2003,2004,2005. There where 15 birds seen in the January 2006 and present again in the breeding season in 2007. There were no records for 2008, 2009 2 birds in 2010 and 4 birds at Hill Top in 2011, there was a bird seen in 2012 but none in 2013, in 2014 there were 2 males seen in suitable habitat for breeding but they didn’t stay long, we had 3 records in 2015, 2 records in 2016, 3 records in 2017 and 4 so far this year. With there present status in the Valley it has became a much sought after bird by new Valley Birders. The future for Yellowhammers in the Valley does not look good we wait with bated breath to see want happens with Browns fields in the future, this could be the last chance to get Yellowhammers back has a regular Valley bird. Birds can still been seen at Barr Beacon not far from the Valley has the Crow flies
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
From the Hide
Mandarin x7, Pochard x21, Wigeon c6, Shoveler c23, Gadwall c9, Cormorant c9, Goosander c29, Snipe c19, Lapwing c19, Goldeneye, Common Gull, Grey Wagtail, Teal, Water Rail, Meadow Pipit
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Forge Hill/RSPB 8.10-9.05: Yellowhammer over Forge Hill towards farm. 10+ Redwing, 5+ Song Thrush. c70 Parakeets. 36 Snipe, 1Jack, 26 Lapwing on island. 37 Shoveler, 3 Water Rail.per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

2 Ravens heading towards Dartmouth park and 2 skylark over salters very quiet this am even finch numbers down per John Clarke
Good Birding YAMYAM

100+ each Redwing and Fieldfare over Dartmouth Park c0800-0830 this morning, all heading East. Also single Redpoll and a few Siskin around per Matt Hadlington
Good Birding YAMYAM

Forge Mill
GoldenEye x3, Pochard c19, Wigeon c14, Shoveler c49, Gadwall c17, Goosander c29, Great Crest c4, Cormorant c9, Teal c7, Common Gull, Lapwing c29, Mediterranean Gull, Snipe,
Good Birding YAMYAM

Swan pool this afternoon. Ad yellow legged gull (seen with John Clarke). FM lake had 47 shoveler, 36 gadwall, 21 Pochard.per Tim Hextell
Good Birding YAMYAM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back