• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just thinking about some Bins. (1 Viewer)

johnf3f

johnf3f
I wasn't sure which section to put this in as I am not thinking of any brand in particular, mods please move if appropriate.

Anyway I am thinking about getting some low to mid priced bins. Currently I have a set of Swarowski 8.5 x 42 EL bins which I am very happy with but I am looking for something smaller and lighter that I can just leave in the car and not cry too much if they get lost or nicked!

I would like to stay below £300 (if possible) and don't want anything larger than a 32mm objective. These would mostly be used when I am out with my camera which is why something small and light is preferable as I am already lugging 30+ lbs!

I quite like the look of the Zeiss Terra bins and the Kowa BD XD Prominar both in 8x32. These are a bit over budget and larger than ideal so I am looking for some suggestions.
Just thinking at this stage but any insights would be appreciated.

Or Nikon M7 8x30? Should be about £250 with a bright, wide view. The Prostaff is good too, but the FoV is a little tight.....

Hi John,

I have the same main bin as you and recently added the new CL 8x30.

However when I tried them I also tried the new Opticron traveller bga ed 8x32, wonderful performance, and too dammed close to the CL`s for comfort.

Give em a try if you can.

John.

John

Torview John took the words right out of my mouth. Opticron Traveller BGA ED 8x32 at £309 and only 119mm high is spot on for you. They are so compact and so capable. Just give them a try.

Lee

Hi,

Nikon M7 or the Opticron BGA ED both sound good. Although their price would already make me cringe at the thought of leaving them in my (sometimes parked open) convertible... so that sports a Hensoldt DF 8x30 which I got off ebay for 60€. The view is very nice if you don't need much ER.

Joachim

A nice car 8X32 is the KF 8X32 for $139 on Amazon, I have one and am impressed with the view/edge sharpness. David (Typo) did a review in them. Scratch the US cost, you are in the UK, so they are a higher cost.

Andy W.

The bins above are too nice, too expensive, too large, or too heavy for me to consider them good choices as a car bin and a bin to juggle while dealing with cameras and other gear, so here's one more (double) vote for a cheap and cheerful reverse-porro, like the Nikon 8x25 ProStaff. That bin (and bins like it) doesn't have a very wide field, but it is sharp, has good contrast, good mechanics, handles well, weighs next to nothing (and just bounces happily when bonked on its neck strap into cameras or tripods), and is waterproof. It does the job and doesn't get in the way.

--AP

Thanks for the quick replies folks!

You have already given me a LOT to think about and some suggestions that I hadn't thought about too.

Perhaps a bit on the small side but has anyone tried the Zeiss Terra 8 x 25? I have read some good things about them but wonder if, with 25mm objective lenses, they might be a bit limiting.

Thanks again.

Terra 8x25 would work fine....great view..great compact bin..but a lot $$$ for a car/truck bin....
right now I have a cheap pair of 10x25 Nikon aculon in the jeep.....

Last edited:
Terra 8x25 would work fine....great view..great compact bin..but a lot $$$ for a car/truck bin....
right now I have a cheap pair of 10x25 Nikon aculon in the jeep.....

Thanks for your reply but my "Car Bins" are currently a pair of Hawke EDs which are just not up to the job in anything but very good light so I need something better for the flat/low contrast light we often get in Wales. Also something lighter than my 8.5 x 42 ELs when I am out with the camera and 800mm lens.

The 8 x 25 Terras look very interesting, perhaps a bit small, but if the optics are good enough?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick replies folks!

You have already given me a LOT to think about and some suggestions that I hadn't thought about too.

Perhaps a bit on the small side but has anyone tried the Zeiss Terra 8 x 25? I have read some good things about them but wonder if, with 25mm objective lenses, they might be a bit limiting.

Thanks again.

They are pretty tough. My son has had one with him in Brazil for more than a year taking it with him from Sao Paulo to Aracaju to Manaus and now Belem. He uses it casually but he doesn't baby it.

Bob

I bought a Zeiss 8x25 Terra for my girlfriend's nine year old daughter recently. It's a good choice for a child based on the easy reach to the focus, very close focus ability, and tiny minimum IPD setting. Otherwise, I'm not very enthusiastic about such a bin, especially for its usual price of $300 (I managed to get the newest version for $200 in the course of dealing with quality control issues via warranty replacement). If you don't wear glasses, the little eyecups on pocket roofs are no fun. In that case, I'll again say, the overall utility of a Nikon 8x25 ProStaff would be better in my opinion!

--AP

Thanks again for your thoughts. I will have to cogitate a bit and then spend a long time annoying the staff in an optics shop!

The weather is looking pants for the next few days so it is a good time to go and test some bins!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back